Running on Garbage Day

Good morning and Happy Friday!

My Friday began with a five mile run with my favorite furry running buddy.

five mile run

My legs felt like lead for the first two miles and Sadie and I took an excessive amount of potty breaks for the potty princess, but in the end we completed our run in 50 minutes.

Have any of you guys ever been outside running on garbage day and felt like no matter which way you turned, you ended up running behind the garbage truck? There are a ton of cul-de-sacs in our neighborhood and apparently I kept picking the wrong one to run down because I kept finding myself running behind or around a garbage truck. Oh how I love the sweet smell of trash in the morning! That’ll wake you right up!

Once I got back home, I took a quick shower before assembling a cold breakfast.

greek yogurt and granola

I mixed Liberte coconut yogurt with blueberry Greek yogurt and topped everything with vanilla granola from Earth Origins.

Granola Yogurt Bowl

Yum!

Now I’m off to a local radio station for a fun morning. I’m in a bit of a hurry, but I’ll be sure to fill you guys in this afternoon.

Have a fantastic Friday!

Question of the Morning

• What kind of music does your favorite radio station play?

I have no tolerance for commercials on the radio, so I flip around a lot. The radio presets in my car include a classic rock station, pop station, country station and more. I like a wide variety of music!

Comments

1. Paula says

My favorite station plays a mix of everything from the 90’s until now. I get tired of them playing the same thing over and over so I also listen to oldies classic rock and NPR.

I run earlier than the garbage truck, this week I had to dodge trash cans, recycle cans and yard waste carts!

I just wanted to say that I really enjoy your blog and that today you were my running motivation. Seriously, I was running in the lovely humitity at 5:30 this morning and I thought, surely Julie must be up working out by now so I’m good and I can do this. Thanks for the motivation!

2. Sarah says

I jump around on the ratio, too.

Looking forward to your post about working from home vs. getting out of the house! I am curious to hear your thoughts!

Great job on your run!

I’m looking forward to hearing what your plans are for the radio station- sounds like it’s going to be a fun experience :). My favorite radio stations either play country or the latest hits in the pop/hip hop genre. I also love some classic rock, though!

HAHA potty princess. GAH tell me about it! Maybe their bladders jiggle around more than ours and it makes them pee more??? I’m jealous that your pooch will actually run 5 miles with you! Our lab is such a baby and will just sit down in the middle of the street at like 2 miles in and practically beg to be carried home. I must not have adopted a genetically active lab. Silly girl!

I am a total child when it comes to the radio and flipping the stations. I even annoy myself but I have no patience for the commercials or a bad song lol.

6. Kimberly Ann says

My favorite radio stations are rap stations.. Haha! Unfortunately, where I live now there are literally ZERO so I just listen to today’s hits. Your post made me miss my TX radio now. Lol!

And that breakfast looks amazing!

Kimberly Ann

• says

Oh my gosh me too! My free year subscription ran out and I thought I could just go back to listening to normal radio but I was so wrong! You would think that 10 different people drove my car though with the eclectic mix of stations I have pre-programmed.

Oh, garbage trucks, gotta love ’em! Last week, I got caught behind one for literally at least 15 minutes! The smell was indescribable! Anyhow, just wanted to say your breakfast looks great, I LOVE the taste of granola with yogurt, such a good combination. Also, my favorite radio stations play the latest hits (Mariah Carey, Robin Thicke, Pharrell Williams, Justin Timberlake, etc!)

LOL on the running behind garbage trucks! I always seem to get caught behind one when I’m driving and in a hurry to get somewhere. I love yogurt + granola!!! I had NO idea that coconut yogurt existed! Sounds fantastic!!! My music consists primarily of Disney channel pop songs with a little Christian rock mixed in. I don’t know when I became that mom who listens almost exclusively to the music her kids like. I have to admit…it’s kind of catchy!

9. Jennifer F. says

I wish I could get up early enough to run. We are in the middle of a heat wave so I keep setting my alarm for 4:45 am but I can’t seem to get my self up. I’ve been sticking with the air conditioned gym.

I skip around the radio too, I can’t stand commercials. Usually I flip between country, alternative, pop/hip hop and sometimes oldies because they consider the 80’s oldies now. That just makes me feel old!

I had to laugh when I read your title because I always end up running behind the garbage trucks. That, and my runs are always obstacle courses due to the garbage bins left right in the middle of the sidewalk!

The worst is when the garbage men like to hoot and holler at your while you’re running. Nothing like being called out while your drenched in sweat and straight out of bed! And I definitely like alternative stations, current pop stations, and Christmas music, of course!

12. Caitlyn says

We’ve been having a heat wave up here in the Northeast this week. I went running yesterday morning at 5:30 and it was already like 80 degrees with 90% humidity. It was trash day which meant that a lot of the trash cans had been outside since the afternoon/evening before. I was assaulted by the lovely smell of garbage that had been baking in the 90 degree heat the day before for my entire run so I can totally relate to your predicament!

Hahaha, I’m not a fan of running on Garbage day, I don’t end up running behind a garbage truck, but all the trash tooters smell like a mixture of a babie’s diaper and vomit….Needless to say, sometimes if I run too close to them I end up sick most of the run. Mmmmm that breakfast looks so good, nice and refreshing. Mine is a mixture of pop and hip-hop, works for me, upbeat music makes me feel awake :)

14. Annie says

I love that your serving of granola looks like mine – not like the ones on the silly boxes! Only real servings for this girl!

Running the night before garbage day is almost worse — especially if its hot and humid AND windy! No matter where you run you’re dodging big plastic bins of stank!

I avoid the morning talk shows – which involves skipping around until I find a station with music, not commercials or talking. Even worse than regular commercials are the “shout outs” from the DJ’s for products – it is almost always Ovation hair care, laser hair removal or laser eye surgery. So weird and obnoxious!

I don’t like commercials either, and I don’t like listening to songs that I don’t like so I’ll flip around… I have a little of everything rock, rap, country, pop… you name it and I have a preset for it. Thank goodness I have room for 8 channels.

I caved and pay for Pandora One with no commercials. The irony of it is that right after I did that is when I got injured and no longer listened to it at all hours of the day. BUT the bonus is at work I can listen, the gym, and in my car! I flip around the stations but if I land on multiple commercials in a row then the cell gets plugged in!

And I’m obsessed with country, ellie goulding, florence and the machine, and the pop fitness pandora station right now!

PS – I would probably stop dead in my tracks and turn around, the smell of garbage trucks are bad enough driving behind them! Especially when it is hot out, yuck, more power to you for finishing all 5 miles.

I cannot stand commercials either, so I pretty much listen to spotify. The radio show that I like has a podcast later in the day, so I catch up and listen to that commercial free. What did we do back in the old days when there were no choices?!?!?! 😉

sounds like a great smelly run hahah! My favorite radio stations are pop these days… I cannot tolerate ANY commercials so I go back and forth between iPod and radio and I used to have a wire connected to my iphone an played pandora non stop in my car! MUCH LESS COMMERCIALS!

Is it weird that I don’t listen to a lot of music? I like audiobooks in my car and netflix movies if I am on the elliptical. If i am working out at home I usually just leave the TV on for background noise.

Fun morning on a radio station?! Sounds like an interesting post is coming soon :) my favorite stations play country music and (alternative?) music like the Lumineers, Mumford and Sons, Sublime, etc.

22. Tracy says

What is your favorite granola to add to your yogurt? I recently ordered a Naturebox and it came with some granola that was sooooooo good! I ran out though and bought a bag of KIND blueberry vanilla and it leaves a bad aftertaste in my mouth. I need some good recommendations for a yummy granola with no aftertaste! Thanks

I love radio, I know it’s a weird thing to have strong feelings towards but have so much fun there! I listen to all kinds of radio stations because I like hearing new songs but sometimes you need oldies.

I’m a big fan of satelite radio…and depending on my mood I like the Highway for country music, the Pulse for a mix of 90’s and now, and Hits 1 for today’s hits!

I’ve been really liking 8traccks lately for summer mixes!!

25. SarahM says

Ok, I know this sounds silly, but I only know this because of Gilmore Girls. The plural of cul-de-sac is actually culs-de-sac! In the episode of GG, it really bothers Lorelai that the “s” to make it plural is in the middle of the word. There’s some random trivia for you! :)

26. Kristin says

I hate running behind the garbage truck especially in the summer when it’s hot and humid. That happened to me the other day and I had to leave the neighborhood becuase it smelled SOOO bad. It certainly helped me run faster to get up ahead of it! Have a great weekend :)

I’m the same way with the car radio…I have a variety including all those you mentioned plus an easy listening station (ha I’m so old). But yesterday for the first time ever I went the whole day without turning on the radio, and just rode in silence…thinking. Was nice!

This heat we have been having makes running smells worse! The other night I went for a run on my favorite 4 mile loop, everyone was putting out their garbage for the next day and it was all I could smell the entire time!

I’m definitely a radio flipper although I don’t really like listening to the radio that often. I mostly stick to CD’s so I don’t even have to deal with all the commercials.
    I’m definitely a good ol’ pop lover but I also can’t complain about my hip hop and some rap haha. I’m clearly a classy music lover 😉
    The one thing I can’t stand – country. I guess my time living in Calgary completely turned me off country music.
    Haha – I live in an area with tons of cul-de-sacs so can relate to the garbage and recycling issue you face. The worst is when you’re in a rush but they take up the whole area of the street and you can’t drive past them. Pet peeve;)

Running past stuff like garbage trucks is no fun at all! NOT the fresh smell you’re looking for in the morning. My least favourite thing is running past someone having a cigarette and getting a lungful of their second-hand smoke – like, I’m trying to be healthy here!

I actually don’t listen to the radio much anymore, but if I do it’s usually one of the standard pop stations they have on at the gym. As long as their music’s upbeat, I’m not fussed :)

I don’t know how you run in the Florida heat. We’ve got temps of 20C (68F) in the mornings at 7am and that’s about as much as I can handle. The totally unheard of highs of 30C (86F) we’re getting at the moment is impossible to do anything in! No air con anywhere but the gym and even that leaves little to be desired!

I’m a country girl so my radio is always set to that. So much so that my younger sister always gives me crap that I don’t know any other popular songs!

Your breakfast sounds awesome! Perfect for a hot day. Ha…your radio habit sound very familiar. I absolutely hate commercials and flip around tons. I listen to a wide variety too…pop, country, pop-rock are probably my favorites…with a little talk radio thrown in every once in a while.

34. Catherine says

Thankfully, I’ve never gotten stuck behind a garbage truck, but this morning I was playing leap frog with the mailman! I’d pass her while she was putting mail in someone’s mailbox, then she’d pass me, then I’d pass her again…haha for some reason I felt super awkward about it and had to turn down a different road!!