Recharging

Good afternoon!

After so many weekends away from home, it feels good to have a somewhat uneventful weekend back in Ocala. A recharging weekend!

Our Sunday began bright and early thanks to restless Sadie who was awake and ready to start the day at 7 a.m. Since we were already up, Ryan and I quickly ate some egg sandwiches for breakfast and drove to our church for the early service.

egg sandwich breakfast

The leader of our small group is actually our church pastor’s son and he preached today since his dad is away on vacation with his wife. He did a great job!

After church, the weather took a turn for the worse and scrapped any plans we had for outdoor fun. Bummer! We ran some errands before heading home for a cozy day indoors.

I got to work in the kitchen and made a shrimp and corn chowder with cauliflower as the base.

Cauliflower Shrimp Corn Chowder

I wish I would’ve taken notes because we loved this soup! I combined cauliflower, chicken broth, milk, onion, garlic, garlic salt and Old Bay in a pot and brought it to a boil before blending everything together with an immersion blender. I then added shredded cheese, corn and shrimp.

Corn Chowder with Cauliflower and Shrimp

It was a hit in our house! When I have a minute, I’ll recreate it and share the exact recipe with you guys. Mmm!

Once we were done with lunch, my sweet tooth started kicking in. Since I was in the mood to bake (rainy weather tends to have that effect on me), I made a coffee cake from a box mix and in no time at all the smell of cinnamon filled our house.

coffee cake

The crumb topping is always the best part.

Hope you’re having a relaxing Sunday!

Comments

1. Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.com says

Sometimes a rainy day is just what you need. The sun has been shining for weeks here in the south of England but that’s so rare for us we still feel like we need to be out in it at every opportunity. It gets exhausting!

2. Alison says

Yay for recharge Sunday! That chowder looks so delicious and comforting for a rainy day. And coffee cake is always a win!

Do you feel like it’s been raining way more than usual this summer? I live in Central Florida too and it seems like everytime I want to take my bike out for a ride it starts storming. Sorry your outdoor plans were changed but at least you had a cozy time at home!

We didn’t get rain until later in the afternoon, but sometimes it’s nice to have a little rainy weather. It gives you an excuse to stay inside and enjoy the comforts of being home.

Here in Pennsylvania, the weather took a turn for the worst in the afternoon, also. Looks like you made the most of the day, though! I agree with you, the crumble portion of the coffee cake definitely is always the best part and coffee cake in itself is always so comforting and tasty!

I know how you feel! This was the first weekend in 3 weeks my boyfriend and I didn’t drive 4-6 hour round trips to see family for various reasons- it was so nice to be home and enjoy having no plans!

Food looks delicious!

7. Katherine says

Rainy days always make me want to bake. This past Sunday I actually made this clean banana muffin recipe I found on pinterest. Using oats, egg, greek yogurt, honey, banana, some powder, soda and vanilla. Topped with some almond butter, perfect for not feeling guilty over a muffin.

I wish that we would get a little more rain here in Logan, UT. It seems to rain for 5 minutes at a time which definitely is not enough to put me in the baking mood. I can’t wait for the slightly cooler weather that fall will bring and some inspiration for baking healthy treats!