Stand Up Desk

Oh Florida humidity, you are so fabulous. This morning my run with Sadie was hot and humid.

Whenever I set out for a run in the summer in Florida, I know to expect to feel more sluggish than usual and today was no different. Despite the thick, moist air, Sadie and I had a good time. I was equipped with a rockin’ playlist and just zoned out for most of the run.

We ended up knocking out five miles and it felt good to shake out my legs before work.

Breakfast this morning centered around almond butter.

almond butter honey

I topped a toasted whole wheat English muffin with almond butter and a drizzle of honey.

English muffin with Almond butter

Plus a banana on the side!

banana

Stand Up Desk

Last night, Ryan and I had plans on the side of town by Ryan’s work, so I met up with him at his office before he was done for the day. I’ve been inside of Ryan’s work building a few times before, but he recently changed offices and I had never seen his brand new desk!

Stand Up Desk

Ryan now has a stand up desk at work! Pretty cool, huh? He also has an extra tall chair to use when he wants to sit, but he seems to really enjoy standing up.

After reading the book Drop Dead Healthy, I told Ryan all about the author’s stance on prolonged sitting. (You can read my full review of the book here if you are interested.) In the book, A.J. Jacobs writes, “We weren’t built to sit. According to Harvard professor John Ratey, our Paleolithic forefathers walked eight to 10 miles a day. Our grandparents expended an average of 800 calories a day more than we do. Even regular gym-going cannot fully undo the harm of sitting.”

At my former job, I sat at a computer for the entire day. I would try to get up once an hour to get something to drink, eat a snack or go to the bathroom, but there were definitely times that I sat for hours without stretching my legs. I hated that feeling and it definitely made me look forward to our evening walks with Sadie when I got home. I wanted to move!

Question of the Morning

• Does your job require you to sit for a long period of time? Do you do anything to break up the sitting?
  • If you could work from a stand up desk, would you want to?

Comments

I think I drink a lot more tea than what I would if I didn’t have a job that had so much sitting. I try and get up from my desk at least once an hour. I am pretty good about it but a standing desk would be awesome.

I sit all day for work but I try and get up a few times throughout the day and walk around. We share the entire floor with a whole bunch of other financial planners so I will find an excuse to bring them their mail, or go get paperwork from them because it gets me up and moving.

I don’t know if I would want a stand up desk–There are times I think it would help and times I think it would annoy me.

That’s an awesome desk!!!!!! I’ve had a few office jobs, and I HATED sitting all day. As a teacher, I do pretty well these days. During the school years I would get about 1.5 miles worth of steps on my FitBit during recess duty!! Haha. Plus we are a one-car family so I do a LOT of walking around my neighborhood. My husband has an office job, but he’s getting into some better habits lately. He brings a jump rope to work to practice double unders for CrossFit!

The stand up desk is such a great idea! I sit at a desk when I work but we also do a lot of moving around and walking so at least it’s not sitting down 100% of the time. I wish I lived closer to work and was able to walk or bike. I think the distance a lot of us travel so far that it makes computing by fit almost impossible.

5. Laura says

I would love to have a stand up desk option at work (I’d still want a chair though too!) and would probably stand up 50% of the time I imagine. I try to get up and get water or go to the bathroom every hour or so. We also have a few walking trails around work so a little after lunch I try to get out and walk for 10 minutes-even that little bit of time helps me get through the afternoon!

I used to be really good about getting up from my desk and walking around every 30 minutes, but I got a promotion at work about 3 months ago, and my new job is MUCH more demanding, so I never remember. However, I combat all that sitting by staying very, very active. My fiance and I carpool to work, but he gets off 45 minutes before I do, so I always walk home unless the weather is very bad. I also make sure to take our dog for a long walk in the morning and a short walk while we’re home for lunch to get in extra activity between all that sitting. I don’t know if I’m undoing the harm, but I am trying to. I would like to get back into the habit of getting up and walking around every 30 minutes, but it’s hard when work is so demanding. I would love a stand up desk!! My job is non-profit, so I’m not sure they would go for it though. Haha!

I recently started working in an office type setting and I feel like I’m the most fidgety one there. I hate being confined to a little desk for what seems like forever!

I would definitely love to have a desk like that! I sit for far too long each day!!

I loved your circuit workout yesterday! I am so sore from it today!!!! Thanks Julie!!

9. Sami says

Two people at my current job have stand up desks and they’re “testing” different types to see what we can offer – I can’t wait to have that option! At my last job, the president read Drop Dead Healthy as well and replaced her desk with a treadmill that had a flat top desk on top of it and then added one to the main area for us all to rotate throughout the day (coolest thing ever!)

Good for Ryan! That’s awesome 🙂

Working in nursing defintely prevents me from doing much sitting while at work. The only times I really get to sit is when charting, otherwise I’m constantly on the go. I wore a pedometer to work one day and in just an eight hour shift, I walked almost 8 miles! I love the treadmill desk idea and once I get a treadmill, I am going to make a desk to go over top of it so when I’m at home doing things such as checking e-mails, blogging, etc, I can get some extra movement in!

I’m actually getting a stand up desk at work this week! A lot of people in our office have been transitioning to them and management has been super supportive of it.

Our are really neat because they can be moved to different levels with the flip of a switch (they are basically motorized to move themselves up and down), so you can have it standing or sitting, depending on how you want it. They also ordered us those really cool gel-like mats that you stand on that are supposed to really help in the transition. I think Chefs use them when they are cooking in kitchens for prolonged hours.

I sit all day & it drives me nuts. I don’t find it a coincidence that me & a few other co workers all have low back problems in the same L4 L5 discs… the pressure from sitting all day. I hate it. 🙁 I also try to get up once an hour but you blink & its passed by & I think, “I’ve sat in this same spot all hour without even thinking about it” – pitiful. I have a FitBit & by the end of the day, I’m good if I have 1200 steps. On a weekend – I hit that by 10:00 am

13. Kristen says

I was a little more excited than I should have been when I saw the title of this post, but I have developed a standing work arrangement and I love it! I am 5’3″ and I realized that I can put two wooden crates (that you can get at many craft stores) on my normal desk, put my laptop on one, mouse pad on the other, and viola–standing desk for a total of $14! You can even paint them to match the decor of your room/office. Considering that a standing desk can cost hundreds of dollars, I thought this was a cheap and easy alternative.

I consider myself lucky because as a preschool teacher, I literally never stop moving. I think I do more squats at work to get down to my kiddo’s eye level than I do in the gym over a whole week. I think I would have a very difficult time sitting all day!

15. Stefanie says

I am thankful my job requires me to be on my feet and moving (I am a baker). It would be hard having to sit all day. Even on my days off I can’t sit for too long. The stand-up desk looks like a great option for those that work in an office.

My company in Philadelphia has a high level mission of being The Healthiest Company. (!!!) One of our initiatives internally is to have equipment in the office that supports that which includes all sit-to-stand desks (so you can sit or stand), bosu balls as chairs, and treadmill desks!!! It really does make a huge difference

Yummy breakfast!

I LOVE that desk! I definitely sit too much at work and I’ve been making a point to stand and walk around more during the day. I even asked my office to order me a standing workstation. My desk will remain the same, but a device will sit on top of it and I’ll be able to put my computer, keyboard, etc. on it and lift everything up and down depending on whether I want to sit or stand. I can’t wait to get it!

18. Emily says

i’m a nurse so i’m constantly running around at work! I feel much more energized and its easier for me to be motivated to workout after a 12+hour work day than I am on my days off where I tend to not be as active! sounds crazy but its true!

I also read Drop Dead Healthy last year! I would enjoy a stand up desk, with the option of a chair when I wanted it. I think it’s great that work places are creating this option now.

I would LOVE to have a job that had me in motion and not at my desk for 9-10 hours a day, but until I can make that happen I try to drink a ton of water to keep my energy levels up and force me to get up every hour. I find that if I walk around the city after lunch even for 10 minutes or so it helps loosen me up and ease digestion after a big meal. I would definitely love using a standup desk or even sitting on an exercise ball but no one else here does that and we have a very open office environment so I would definitely get some odd looks! Maybe I’ll start the trend anyways?

I’ve been working at a stand up desk for about 8 months now and I love it. My set up is slightly more janky than Ryan’s looks, but it really does improve productivity! And it’s so healthy. I read an article in Runner’s World, “Sitting is the New Smoking” (and then wrote a post about it since the topic was so near and dear to me). It’s a really interesting article if you haven’t read it yet! There are overwhelming merits to standing up, but as a runner, I sometimes really need the rest, so I think sitting sometimes during the day is totally fine. (you can see my full vent sesh here: http://lifesphilosophie.com/?p=567)

22. Katie says

A couple of the guys at my work have stand up desks and they love it! I would love one, but I work the front desk and unfortunately, I don’t think they would think it looks professional for outsiders to first see when walking into the office. I drink a ton of water throughout the day not only to stay hydrated, but to also force me to get up and go to the bathroom once every hour! Also, our front door is permanently locked, so anytime someone comes to it, I have to get up and let them in. They always joke I should get a button on my desk that opens the door, but I love getting the blood flowing and wouldn’t use the button if I had one! 🙂

I sit all day every day at my job. It is awful but I am so busy that sometimes I don’t stand up for an hour or too! I considered getting an exercise ball to sit on, so at least it would be a bit better for me. Love the stand up desk though!

This post is literally perfect timing!! My desk at work can be raises 6 more inches naturally and I have maintenance coming to do that this week. I also purchased some bed risers (like you would use in college) and will be slipping them under the desk once it is raised!

I worked from home on Tuesday and stood the entire day (my kitchen table is super high) and I felt AMAZING. I fricken hate sitting all day. My back hurts and my butt just goes numb!

I also am 2 months post ACL surgery and notice that the only times my knee hurts lately is at work and it is because I don’t move and then get up. I still get up every every to pee / fill my water bottle but it is just not enough. I can’t wait for my desk to be ready to rock and roll next week!!

25. Traci says

I work in an office so I end up sitting a lot each day at my desk. My company isn’t too progressive so they don’t offer stand-up desks, and it’s so traditional I’d feel a little silly using a Bosu ball (though I’m considering it)! I definitely try to get up and move around as often as I can. I read a study recently that standing up every 10 minutes (just stand up and stretch a little) negates the harms of sitting all day. I know it seems pretty frequent, but I now try to stand and walk around a little every 10 minutes or as often as I remember.

I sit all day! I had a co-worker that had a stand up desk but I am not sure in heels I cold stand all day! To break up the sitting I make sure I walk to co-workers offices versus calling or emailing them, I walk to the farthest bathroom and usually am up every hour to fill my water bottle too.

I just quit my job at JCP. Had to walk and stand the entire time. You can’t just sit. Constantly having to find something to do. My legs and feet were so tired. It’s been hard to run too. Which I’m really bummed about. But now I’m out of there and running it is! Marathon in DEC!

Seeing as I’m a college student, I do a lot of sitting–whether in class or studying. When I can, I try to get up and at least stretch and get some feeling in my legs every hour or so, but I don’t know if that helps or not. Our lifestyles are inherently sedentary today–it’s a really hard problem to combat!

29. Ruthie says

I recently got a standing desk at work, and I looooooovvee it! It’s really helped my posture. Like Ryan, I have the tall chair if I need to sit. I just need to avoid calling it a “high chair” like an infant. 🙂

30. Susie Miller says

Julie, does Ryan know how much his desk cost his company by any chance?? I would love to get one for work, but I don’t want to ask if it’s going to cost them a fortune. Thank you!!

P.s. I finally ordered Carba-nada noodles after reading your blog for years, and I love them! Thank you for the suggestions!

I have a stand up desk, and I love it. I don’t use it all the time, but I use it at least a few hours everyday to try to reverse some of the effects of sitting for hours and hours.

We are trying to get desks in our office that move up and down for standing or sitting. We really want to be able to stand up in our job – we have to be at our desks for 8 hours {even eat meals there}. That is great that he likes his new desk and I am envious 🙂

I wish I could “zone out” on runs. I find it virtually impossible but probably because I’m really no good at running. I just think about how much I want to stop. Haha. I can zone out on a spin bike though, no problem. Sigh.

Most of my jobs have entailed me sitting at a desk all day. The worst!

I work in an office so I do sit all day. About a year and a half ago I decided to start doing little work outs everytime I go to the restroom. We have a single bathroom so that makes it easy. I am one who drinks a LOT of water so I’m in and out of the restroom a ton. I do 10 squats, lunges or wall push ups every single time. It has made a HUGE difference 🙂

I love the idea of a stand up desk!! I would take it in a heartbeat….I hate sitting all day and staring at a computer (which means I dislike my job!) I did switch from a regular office chair to a ball. I have noticed a difference in my core because you have to work a little harder to stay on. I get up at least once an hour to take a lap around the building, say hey, stretch. Nothing is more important than my health and I need that time to keep from getting stiff. I def. look foward to the runs in the afternoon after sitting all day!

I so want a stand up desk in my office. I saw this little drop down desk that can be put to standing height at IKEA and wanted it so badly. It was even only like $40!! But Peter says he refuses to screw big holes in our walls for it. Grrrrr. Maybe I need to try this conversation again. “But Peter. It’s for my HEALTH. And longevity. You’re slowly killing me by not doing a standing desk. Is that what you want, Peter? For shame. How can you call yourself a loving husband?” Ha!

37. Summer says

I want a stand up desk so bad! I haven’t been able to talk my boss into it yet. She has had many back surgeries and is convinced standing for long amounts of time is bad for your back. I was able to convince her to let me get a stability ball chair for my office. Everyone thinks I’m crazy for sitting on a ball all day, but posture has improved and it takes serious core work to hold yourself up all day instead of relying on the back of a chair. I guess this will do for now.

38. Celina says

I have an office job as well. I usually walk about a mile for our two 15 minute breaks outside. Since I live in south Louisiana, our summers are humid and hot as well. So, if I happen to have an important meeting, I usually skip the walk since even just 15 minutes gets me sweaty.
    I also go home for lunch and think I’ll try to make it a point to not sit during that duration. Eat standing up, clean up around house, etc.

That part of Drop Dead Healthy stood out to me too!! (Also the part about not sitting on the toilet for too long…TMI?) Anyway, a guy at my office has a desk like that, but he’s a lot higher up than I am (he’s like a VP) and I’m not sure what our HR people would say if I told them I wanted to get a stand-up desk. Instead I’ve been thinking of replacing my chair with a stability ball! It’s better than nothing!

I also work an office job that has me sitting all day. Well it did before I built myself a stand up desk. A guy who works near me has a company stand up desk that raises and lowers when he wants to stand or sit (pretty cool!) Only downside is that these desks cost over $500! I found out that the only way to get my company to buy me one is to have a medical reason (aka doctors note) Its kinda sad that I have to have something physically wrong with me to get one of these things. Well i did a little research and found a blog where some guys made a standup desk with parts all from ikea for less then $30! Needless to say I went to ikea that weekend and built myself a standup desk. Its amazing and I feel so much better at the end of the day. I have alot more energy and my legs arn’t sore or achy by the end of the day. Here is a pic of my homemade standup desk! http://instagram.com/p/Z3Ny1NDSZF/

41. Bailey says

I work at a chiropractic office and get to go out and be in the community a lot talking with people but I do have to sit when I come back to the office. Sitting is one of the worst things we can do for our spines so being on a stability ball if at all possible at work is a great idea! I really would like to get a standing desk where you can lower and raise it whenever you want.

I used to have a job that I could do sitting or standing and I loved it! I would love to get a stand up desk for my job now but unfortunately it’s not my decision. Oh well, I spend a lot of time walking to the printer, copier and other offices so hopefully it will make up for all the time I spend sitting!

I have to stay sitting for 2 out of the five days a week and they kill me. Find it so hard to get comfortable and also remembering to get up and walk around every now and a while. I’d LOVE a stand up desk for sure!

I’m a teacher and during the school year I am always on my feet. Now during the summer I sit all day at a summer job. I have noticed a huge change in my mood during the summer when I have to sit, it’s not a good mood change.

45. Gerry says

I’m a year 1 teacher and I never get to sit down. My back and feet are always so sore at the start of each term, but you get over that. First thing I do when I get home is sit in a comfy chair with my feet up = bliss

46. katherine says

Would love one…but logistically and financially NOT possible! But I wish you hadn’t just focused on “calorie burn” in your post…a stand up desk is not about “burning more calories” but to improve concentration/posture/soreness/body mechanics.. Its’ not about the calories and your readers need to know that.

Ryan: I am so jealous! I have been wanting a standing up desk since starting my 9-5 full time. So yes, I sit A LOT! I try to get up as often as possible, stretch and change positions while seated and go for a walk at lunch. I just ordered a stability ball chair and am anxiously awaiting it’s arrival! Also water helps… not only does it help you stay hydrated but it forces you to get up to use the bathroom 🙂

48. Ashley H. says

Is there anywhere online you know of that has whole wheat English muffins for ordering? I can NOT find whole wheat ones anywhere in my local grocery stores, and I LOVE them!

I am the secretary/ accounts payable at a fire truck manufacturer. I am the only female out of 100 employees and I. sit. all. day. long. I work out in the morning before work and that keeps my energy up pretty much all day. I try to stand up every chance I get to shred paper, enter things into the computer, etc. I also try to do some stretches if I am sitting for too terribly long in a vacant office by the kitchen.

I WOULD LOVE A STAND UP DESK!!

I hate sitting for a long period of time, so throughout my surgery recovers it would drive me NUTS. I feel like my body hurts more if I do sit a lot. I wanted to become a teacher for the fact you can get up and walk around the room constantly. Although, some teachers like to park their rears at their desks haha! I would definitely be the person with the stand up desk and yoga ball as a chair!

The main thing I HATE about working in an office is sitting all day. I have converted my bookshelf in my office into a standing desk that I used for a couple hours a day. I sit in my regular chair for a couple hours then sit on my stability ball for the rest of the time. It’s a good mix up.

Interesting concept, a stand-up desk. I think I would probably prefer a balance of both, but I can definitely see where the benefits would come in with having a stand-up desk.

I would LOVE to have a stand-up desk at my job. I used to work at a grocery store where I stood most of the time, and now that I recently got my first “big girl” job I am sitting a great portion of the day. I definitely feel more tired/sluggish as a result.

53. Jan Klein says

I ship BBQ all over the country & am stuck behind a desk all day. I find as many excuses as possible to go up & down the stairs at work as often as possible to get some exercise & stretch my legs.

54. Gina says

I have a part time desk job and im constantly trying to get up as much as possible. I hate sitting. Now that Im looking to go full time a stand-up desk would be ideal!

Yikes – one of my worst habits. I sit in front of my computer literally from 8am until about midnight, usually with an hour or so break for dinner (but sometimes that’s in front of the computer, too!). I try to stand up frequently (drinking lots of water helps so I have to go to the bathroom a lot!), but I know it’s still not great. I would love to have a standing desk!

ah I agree! sitting is so bad, for prolonged periods of time. it’s so hard as a student though…studying doesn’t really allow for much walking around! any tips?

I eat peanut butter and honey all the time! It’s one of my favorite combos from childhood. Definitely just had a moment. 🙂 My job is very physical so I don’t need to worry about sitting too much (if at all) But I love the concept of standing desks. If I had to work in an office, I would definitely take that route – I could never sit all day!

Stand up desk seems cool!!! My “desk” is the couch right now. The lovely “stay at home mom” desk haha. Soon it will be a legit desk again though when I’m back in school and for that, I have a big comfy chair to enjoy 😉

My current position requires an incredible amount of “sit time”. To break it up, I volunteer to make office runs and deliver things versus sending emailed responses as most of my frequent contacts are in the same building.

I would love a stand up desk, with the option of a higher chair to lean on if needed.

Great post!

I saw that pic on your instagram yesterday and showed it to my boss! I would LOVE a desk like that…my biggest complaint in joining the full-time work force is the amount of time spent just sitting. It drives me crazy! I, too, come up with excuses to get up and get moving every 30-60 minutes. If only I could find a job that encompassed everything I like to do…including moving 😉 I bet you love working at a gym now – what a great way to be active at work!

When I was teaching I was up and moving around ALL DAY and it was great. Now that I’m home for the summer, I feel lazy and can feel the difference in my body. I am definitely craving my gym time and evening walks with the pups! Also, almond butter + honey on an Shmuffin is the best.

Ah I would love a standup desk. I’m a year out of college and this whole sitting for hours concept is rough! It’s hard to sometimes find time to go for a walk at lunch. I’m heading over to read your review of that book. I agree- we need to be more active!

I am an accountant at a large construction company. We implemented morning and afternoon stretching at the office to encourage the same at job sites where stretching before performing physical labour is necessary. It’s also a great way to get up, move around and wake up!

64. Lauren says

I’ve had a stand up desk for 2.5 years now and love it! I have a desk job but I like to move around a lot when I can. I find myself walking around with my headset on conf calls and being more active when I’m already standing. Heals and standing dont work so I always keep a pair of flats under my desk. Stylish slippers in the winter! Guessing Ryan wont have that problem! 🙂 The first thing that got better was my wrist. In a chair I would slouch and bend my wrist to much and wear a wrist brace most of the day. Now I dont need it unless I’m working on a major excel file all day. I would encourage anyone to give it a try!

I started my “life in a cube” about 8 years ago after having a very active job before that. Sitting all day killed me. I couldn’t find a crank or hydraulic standing desk that was under $800, and all the standing desk converts, that sit on top of your desk, were cheap material and couldn’t adjust to my specific typing height. So, I developed the standing desk converter that I wanted; a nice alternative.

Here’s the link if you have a chance to take a peek – http://wallsproutz.com/

Bosses that have seen the $800 to $3,000 standing desks, seem to like the idea of only spending $175-$350, a lot more! 🙂

66. fishandshoes says

I sit ALL day. I work for a fisheries research lab in Seattle and between computer work at my desk and sitting for long hours at the microscope, sitting is practically all I do. Its the microscope work that really kills me though, because I’m constantly looking in the scope, then turning to write notes or enter something into the computer, grab a book, etc. and if I don’t take extra care to move my whole body, my back just kills me by the end of the day. Finally went to a chiropractor a few weeks ago and found out my spine is reaping the conssequences (starting to look like its doing the conga), so I have extra incentive to make sure I don’t get lazy and take shortcuts. My work has a pretty good system for getting specialized equipment for ergonomic support, so I may need to finally buck up and ask for one of those ball chairs or something…

I do have to sit for part of my job, but I try not to sit for more than 30 minutes at a time. I also try to walk and see people rather than send an e-mail or call if time allows.

That is so neat that he has a desk that is tall! I’d love one with a treadmill with it, actually. Standing is better than sitting, but motionless standing can be hard on the lower back as well-so I’d prefer a TM to walk super slowly while working. One day! 🙂

Mmmm honey & almond butter is such a great combo.

I have been using a stand up desk for the past year and a half and now it feels funny to sit down when I am on my computer. I work from my home and I am pretty much always on my computer so this really has been an amazing tool. I remember prior to having this stand up desk I had a lot more back pain and I just felt so lazy! Now at the end of the day I am actually tired from standing so much! 🙂

I either get up every hour or so or when my boss leaves the room sometimes I drop and do some yoga. I’m always scared he’ll walk back in but it feels so good to stretch for a minute.

I love that desk! What a fabulous way to get work done without having to sit all day. I have always had jobs where I am on my feet all day, but now I have school and an internship where I am working at a desk. I completely understand that feeling like you just need to move. I would love a stand up desk. Can you imagine the health benefits if all offices got their employees stand up desks?

72. Kimberly says

I sit all day long, and try to get up as much as possible. As a result I’m up to get water/walk to the bathroom about 20 times a day. Haha. I’d love to have a standing desk, but only if I had my own office, otherwise I’d tower over everyone in my marketing department.

That is awesome! i’ve thought about switching to a ball but I’m not sure about that. I do a LOT of stuff on my desk and work is usually spread out, so I dont think I could do a stand up desk unless they make extra long ones! Here are some of my tips for office jobs:
    Do 20 squats every time you go to the bathroom (in the stall-a little awkward)
    Or if you have a smaller office close the toilet lid and do 20 tricep dips
    Walk the LONg way around each time you get up
    Try to drink 1 glass of water per hour, then you probably go to the restroom more and have to get up more!
    Walk to talk to co-workers instead of calling or email.

I’m a teacher, so I pretty much stand up and walk around all day.
    My husband, though, sat at a desk all day and a few months ago requested a stand up desk. I thought he was crazy cause after spending each day standing up with kids, I’d love to sit down. Don’t we always want the opposite?!

75. Sara says

I’m a teacher so do a lot of standing. The one thing I miss about my all day desk job was wearing super high heels. Now I wear grandma shoes. Also with teaching I’m always moving and can often get sweaty! At my desk job I was always cold lol

• Cassie says

I am a kindergarten teacher and I totally agree! Ill still wear wedges or a heel from time to time but I definitely invested in some cute flats and flat sandals 😉 I also agree with the sweaty part! Ha, I crank my air down to 72 (as low as it goes) sometimes…haha it happens! 😉

• says

I completely understand! I teach too, and although I’m usually sitting from time to time for teaching small groups, a majority of the day is spent up and moving around the room. I love it…even as a little girl, I could never sit still! And I feel ya on the flats. During the winter it’s better because I can get away with wearing cute, flat boots. Otherwise it’s ballet flats or flat sandals. Every now and then I can do wedges. My kids get used to me chunking the shoes sometimes though. Oops! 😉

• says

I used to be a teacher too. Taught Pre-K, Kindergarten, and 2nd grade. Besides working with the kids, of course, I miss all the movement throughout the day. Now, I work from home and if I’m not careful, I’ll end up sitting for long periods of time especially when I get engrossed in something and am intent on getting everything finished.

My previous employer was a really green, health-conscious company and would allow employees to have standing desks if they asked for them. One of the attorneys that I worked with had one, and he seemed to really like it. Personally, I think I’d get tired standing up all day, but if Ryan has a chair that he can use, that’s pretty cool! My coworker just had to sit in a normal chair and then reach his arms up to try to get to his computer. It’s pretty funny now that I think about it.

I sit all day at work, but I try to go downstairs for water (we don’t have an elevator), go out for a walk in the afternoon when I have time, or do some otherwise healthy activity.

When I was working at an office I definitely felt the effects of sitting down all the time, so I always switched it up by standing up (I had the whole place to myself anyway) and stretching my legs and doing lunges or something to loosen up when there weren’t customers/clients around. It really helped! 🙂

I teach dance classes and gymnastics classes so if I am at work I am definitely not sitting! Honestly standing is relaxing for me because most of the time I’m moving around, flipping kids over or jumping or showing dance steps- so I never feel too inactive!

I have a desk job and I hate sitting all day! I work for a new retirement community and we’re in a very tight office right now and there’s nowhere to walk or take a break. When we move to our actual offices, there will be a massive (hotel sized) building to walk around on breaks – I can’t wait!
    I tried to talk them into giving me a standup desk when we were still under construction but they said no 🙁 I’d love it!

As I start my post-grad job search, it’s so important for me to find a job that keeps me moving. Even if it’s a desk job, I really want to work for a company that is aware of health/fitness and makes it a priority for its employees. I can’t imagine sitting all day! I’d get wayyy too antsy!

I’m a waitress so when I’m working 10+ hour days, I’d give anything to sit down! But I’m sure if I had a desk job, I’d want to be moving around. At least Ryan has a happy medium with a stand up desk and an optional chair! 🙂

At my summer job, I end up sitting a lot. I hate the feeling of sitting too long as well!! So I have a little routine I do to get my blood flowing. Every hour or 30 minutes after 12 o’clock I do 20 squats, and 15 bicep curls on each arm with 5 lb weights.

83. Alison says

I almost always opt to stand when I’m on the computer (like now!) or eating breakfast by myself than to sit. I started doing this more in the past few months and I’ve come to genuinely just like standing more. Sitting makes my butt hurt after a while anyway. 😉

84. Kate says

I think it depends on your job! I have a sit/stand option desk. While the health benefits are great, I think your productivity depends on the requirements on your job. It’s really hard to focus intently and draft documents while standing I find! Almost everyone in my office sits for the better part of the day as well.

85. Tara says

I switched to a standing desk over a year ago and absolutely love it! I feel great and have way more energy! I opted to go without a stool because I tend to be klutzy…but I do have an anti-fatigue mat.

A stand up desk is such a good idea! I actually know a few people who have done it and they have said it’s pretty awesome. I definitely need to be more active if I’m working at home, since I tend to sit at a desk. I do try and get out and walk the dog at least three times a day, even if they’re short walks just to get outside.

Wow! I’ve heard great things about stand up desks before, a coworker of ours even tried it in the office. I def like the idea of standing more…makes me wish I hadn’t just purchased a ‘sit down’ desk. I’m standing as I type this (mind you not at a stand up desk so it’s difficult lol) and I’m enjoying standing!

One of my previous bosses had his own office and typical office desk but he purposely did not put a chair in his office because he didn’t want to be one of those people who sat at a desk all day. I think Ryan has a good thing going on with having the option of sitting down when he wants to, because your legs do get tired from standing in one spot for too long and it’s nice to alternate back and forth between the two.

My part time job does have me sitting for most of my day. It helps that i drink about 80 oz. of water and have to get up every few hours to either refill my cup or go to the bathroom. When I do my freelance work, I get out of the house as often as I can and am usually doing several things at once.
    By the way, are you going to the Florida Blogger Conference in Orlando in September? Would love to meet you!

I have a desk job, and I like it, but it can be a bit too much. I usually try to take a mid afternoon walk so I can move around a bit. I wish I had a stand up desk! Jealous of Ryan’s.

91. Nicole says

Ugh – I’m stuck sitting all day. If I had my druthers, I wouldn’t mind a stand up desk. The only thing that breaks up my sitting is the fact that I drink a gallon of water (at least!) a day…..then it’s just a walk down the hall to the ladies’ room.

Actually, if I had my druthers, I’d just have a new job. 😉

I have a desk job with 3 computer screens… graphics all day every day for me. I purposely drink massive amounts of water so I’m forced to get up often. LOL! Sorry if it’s TMI!! It’s the only way I’m reminded it’s time to get up and walk around otherwise time flies and I’ve barely moved all day… YAY WATER!

93. Kimberly J says

Before our new desks at work were ordered I asked for a stand up desk, because I had read about the dangers of sitting all day. I was denied. I now walk a lap around the building or do squats or pushups every once in a while. It helps.

I think my boss would laugh at me if I requested a stand up desk, but I’d definitely use one. I have the usual 8 hrs in front of a computer screen job. To break it up I go on walks for my 15 min breaks and sometimes for my 30 min lunch break. It’s not much but it’s better than nothing!

AJ Jacobs is fantastic. If you get a chance (and haven’t yet), you should add “The Year of Living Biblically” to your “to-read” list. It is hilarious and a really interesting perspective into modern-day Jewish and Christian culture and their biblical foundation.

I work at a hospital as a nursing assistant so the majority of my workday is spent not only standing but walking/running around. It’s amazing how much it changes your mindset- I don’t think I’d do too well not being able to move all day long.

97. Andrea says

I work at a university and we are all at desks, BUT a new colleague who started a month ago has his new office set up with a stand up desk! My primary work computer is a laptop and I can easily move it around so I am trying to create a space in my office where I can do both — sit and stand.

I work at a computer all day and sitting for prolonged periods of time drives me crazy. One thing I try and do is take a walk when I am on calls. I plug in my headset and go. This works as long as I am not the one leading the call and have to take notes. I’ve found it to be effective.

I’d love to work at a standing desk if I was able to. I think they are wonderful!

It is a 1/2 mile walk to walk around our building. My goal is to walk it at least 4 times a day. I also walk for my 30 minutes lunch as long as the weather is good. In Michigan it isnt always so. I also try to go answer questions instead of replying via email. I also look to print thing separately since the print is all the way across the floor from me. I will make lots of trips.

100. Krysten says

I now work at a desk job, definite change of pace from last summer being on my feet alllll day as a waitress. I do the same and try to get up every hour or so to walk down the hall for water or some quick stretches at my desk. And walk to different offices to talk to people, rather than emailing back and forth. By the end of the day I’m definitely ready to get up and give my eyes a break from the computer screen too. I’m intrigued to read Drop Dead Healthy, just put it on hold at the library!

101. Heather McClees says

Hi!:) I work from home and made a stand up desk from a tall buffet style kitchen table and love it! I used to sit all day at work and hated it!! I’m so happy those desk job days are gone. I love my desk I use for writing but can’t sit long without getting up . Great post -!: )

My husband’s job requires sitting (at a computer – IT work) all day….this past Spring, I went with him to his office and we made a makeshift standing desk. He said it took a couple of days for his feet to get used to it, but he loves it now and says that he just feels so much better!
    I always perch my computer up on our breakfast bar when I’m working/blogging at home, too – sitting for long periods of time every day definitely isn’t good for our bodies!

103. Sara says

My husband just walked by as I was reading and asked why are you looking at pictures of guys and bananas!! LOL!! I love the standing desk. I am a teacher so there isn’t much sitting during my day. 🙂

Since I’m a teacher, I’m usually up and moving around the room for a majority of the day, other than teaching small groups. I don’t know how I could ever sit for hours at a desk. I’ve NEVER been able to sit still. I remember my grandfather telling me he was going to stomp out the ants in my pants. Ha! If I did have a desk job, I’d LOVE a stand up desk. In fact, I recently bought an extra tall table that I keep in my “office” room at home. I LOVE it.

You’ve had loads of teachers respond! I never realised there were quite so many blogging teachers out there! I’m a teacher too. ICT teacher at a high school and find that most of my day is actually spent sitting. Or definitely in relation to previous jobs I’ve had anyway. Obviously I walk around whilst teaching, but that only ends up being moving from one kid to the next over four-five hours each day. And then I’m sat down marking or planning for hours more after the kids have gone home again. I would love a standing desk and it would make lessons much easier to check tutorials/classlists/emails/notices mid-lesson whilst walking around the room attending the students..

106. AJ says

How cool that he has a stand up desk! Unfortunately, I drive A LOT for my job, so I am sitting way too much. Guess I really should stop more and walk around!

-AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.com

107. Katie says

I have a treadmill desk. I absolutely love it. I dont end up walking all that much, because in order to do work, I have to set it at about 2.2 MPH. But, even so, I end up walking about 5 miles or so a day.

I work from home 4 days a week and those days I sit a lot, but I try to get up every hour and just move. During my lunch break I head down to my treadmill and do my 30 run so that helps. When I’m in the office I move a lot more!

Yay stand-up desks! I just started my job about 4 months ago, and we have desks that raise and lower, depending on if we want to stand or sit. I absolutely love having the ability to stand whenever I want. I’m guilty for not taking advantage of it enough though.

110. Stefanie says

I teach so I spend my teaching time on my feet walking around. I’ll agree with one of the other teachers though in that my planning and grading time was spent sitting. When I was allowed to purchase a desk, I specifically picked one I could stand or sit at (it has multiple tiers) and a drafting chair. The chair was definitely more expensive than other comparable chairs, but I convinced my supervisors it was worth having a chair that would raise and lower to all levels of my desk. I laugh now, because I almost never get to sit in it, since my TAs use it whenever they can!

111. gaius gracchus says

Standing all day can also be problematic. That is why we went with a treadmill desk. Makes all the difference in the world! We do alternate with some time sitting – it is maybe 50/50. But it feels really good to walk slowly while we work instead of just stand or sit. We forget we are walking we get so engrossed into our work on our computers.

We got a new Multitable and we LOVE IT!!! We ordered the entire table from them, not just the base — they customized it for us, too. We checked out almost every standup desk on the market before settling on this one. They have a plethora of types of desks – something for everyone.

Although they had models that fit over their own treadmills, we already had a high-end Precor treadmill at home. Note that most of the treadmills that come from the standup desk combos have no console in front to get in the way, but ours, just like a gym model, does. So we needed the table that goes up really high, plus we needed a more narrow table since we are further back on the treadmill due to the console. Plus, we just have small laptops so no need for a wider desk.

They took their table from the treadmill combo and created a customized top for us. Also they were able to adjust the width.

It fits perfectly! The inner width is 34″ between the legs, the tabletop is 36″ wide and 18″ deep. The height goes up to 54 inches!!!! Yayyyh! Finally we found one that fit our needs over our treadmill! (good luck finding one that tall, and, if you do, good luck getting the rest of these dimensions.)

It was pretty easy to assemble, and putting things together is not my forte. We ordered the “left-handed” model, which is just having the crank on the left side, since our treadmill is up to the wall on the right side. We really appreciate a manual operation, although they certainly have electric models. I don’t want another thing to have to plug in, and it takes so little effort to crank it, why bother with electric.

Their customer service is outstanding. Their prices are far, far better than any other desk of this quality, and especially compared to companies who are willing to customize for you.