Things I’m Loving Friday III

Good morning and happy Friday! I am currently in the air on my way to Las Vegas for a bachelorette party, but I typed up another “Things I’m Loving Friday” post to share while I’m traveling.

Please feel free to play along in the comments section!

Things I’m Loving Friday

• Bridesmaid Dresses You Can Wear Again

I know every bride hopes her bridesmaids will wear their bridesmaid dress again, but the truth is the dresses often look “bridesmaidy” or they’re too formal to wear again and again. I’m pretty pumped that the long orange BCBG dress that I wore when I was in Minda’s wedding last Sunday is one I actually think I’ll wear again. It’s comfortable and can be dressed up or down which is awesome!  1235235_10102316153336992_882684307_n

• Scuba Diving

julie scuba diving

Scuba diving on Labor Day this week reminded me just how much I love exploring underwater. It’s even more fun when I get to scuba dive with Ryan and my family! Scuba diving is so incredible and I wish I could do it more often!

• Naturally Flavored Water

hint blackberry

I’ve never been a huge soda drinker, but I can guzzle flavored water all day long. Though flavored sparkling water will always have my heart, sometimes chugging bubbly water isn’t ideal, especially before I’m about to teach a group exercise class since I don’t want to be burpy. I struggle to drink a lot of plain water, but there’s something about the pop of flavor in Hint unsweetened essence water, Ayala herbal water or Metromint water that helps me drink lots of water without it feeling like a pain.

And the Mountains Echoed

I finished reading The Handmaid’s Tale over the weekend and quickly picked up Khaled Hosseini’s latest novel to read this week. I think Khaled Hosseini is a phenomenal writer and while I’m not far enough along to say whether or not this book will be as good as his previous novels, I’m enjoying it so far.

crossfit board shorts

Inspired by Jess, I bought these shorts with 35 percent off promo code I posted last month and absolutely love them. The thick, wide waistband is very flattering and doesn’t dig into my sides. They stay up when I do deep squats and burpees and I think the bright color is a lot of fun. They’re roomier in the hips and butt which I appreciate as well.

• Long Runs

8 mile run

The past two Saturdays in a row, I’ve taken Sadie on a long eight-mile morning run. I’m not currently training for a specific race, but I’ve really enjoyed running longer distances. Plus, I know Sadie has a blast and it kicks off the weekend on a high note!

No Bake Oatmeal  Nut Butter Balls

I’ve made these no less than four times since I first posted the recipe two weeks ago. They are the perfect portable snack and I love that they’re easy to grab and eat in between training clients and teaching group exercise classes while I’m at work.

• Evening Walks with Ryan and Sadie

julie ryan sadie

This isn’t a new one, but my evening walk with Ryan and Sadie is one of the high points of my day. I love chatting with Ryan about whatever is on our minds and watching Sadie joyfully pick up every stick in her path. It’s a great way to unwind.

Past Things I’m Loving Friday posts:

Question of the Morning

• What is something you’re loving lately?
  • What do you think makes a bridesmaid dress awesome?

Comments

It is finally nice enough weather here that in the last week I’ve been able to do some evening walks with my boyfriend and loved them too.

A few years ago I went to Fiji and got my scuba diving license. I haven’t been since but absolute loved it too.

How did you get Sadie to learn to run with you?? I have a 7 month old puppy and while he is okay at walking on the leash he will just put it in his mouth and zig zag and trip your while you’re running. It’s awful. I know he would enjoy the exercise and it would be excellent if we could run off-leash but I live in the city and I don’t trust all the cars in our neighborhood and there aren’t many off leash parks. Any tips would be awesome!! Thanks! Emily

I think it’s awesome to have a bridesmaids dress that you can wear again. I mean…they’re so pretty and I’d hate to have it sit in the closest collecting dust.

Lately, I’m loving pumpkin, almond butter and Chobani Greek yogurt!

I like a bridesmaids dress that doesn’t cost as much as my own wedding dress (a modest $500 back in the day). I wish my ex-sister in law would’ve taken price into consideration and while it was a cute dress, definitely not re-wearable and given I dropped raspberry vinaigrette on it, (grace!) unable to be resold

I’m lovin’ that I’m about to make some Jeni’s Dark Chocolate ice cream! 🙂 Why didn’t I get an ice cream maker years ago!?

5. Traci says

Curious to hear what you think about that book; I’m sure anything written by him will be incredible, though. I was recently in my friend’s wedding over Labor Day Weekend and while the dress was gorgeous, it definitely screams “bridesmaid” and is basically too formal to wear to a, well, non-formal event. I’m going to at least have my mom shorten it and hey, at least I have a new fancy dress to wear when the need arises.

Well done on the long run! Do you like your Forerunner 305? I am looking for something to track my runs at the moment.
    Was a bridesmaid last weekend also and trawled round to find the perfect blue dress that all involved liked! You look beautiful in yours, very glamorous.

I’ve heard really great things about that book….let us know what you think, when you finish. I’ve been loving wearing my flip flops, but I’m also looking forward to breaking out the riding boots! Have a great weekend!

I’m loving Cascadian Farm’s Cinnamon Crunch cereal. Its not as sugary as Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I’m loving September because its the month of FALL! <3 I'm loving The Waltons tv show…i used to hate it. But its grown on me. My mom bought all the seasons (because she loves it) and now I find myself wanting to watch it. Funny

9. Nicole says

And The Mountains Ehcoed is amazing! It’s a little different in writing style than The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, and it jumps around a bit but it’s so worth reading! You’re going to love it!

10. Katherine says

Currently loving this fall weather here in New England!!! It is my favorite time of year and get my excited for all things pumpkin! I am also *trying* to enjoy my long runs as I train for my first half marathon. I will be doing 9 today and trying to focus on the incredible weather and sites as I run. Also loving all the clothes I bought from Jcrew Factory. Its a serious addictions I have to that store.

I love no bake protein balls. They’ve been my go to Snack the past few days. Nothing quite as easy.
    I’ve been looking for some new books, so you’ll have to let us know how that one is.
    Flavored water has been my go to drink this Summer. You should try making your own. I’ve been doing it basically all season and I swear it’s so much better. My favorite combo so far is adding fresh berries, cucumber, and a little lemon.

My bridesmaids wore convertible dresses from Victoria’s Secret for my wedding and they were awesome cause you can definitely wear them again! I’m loving the cooler weather here in VA today, and that I have a fun weekend ahead. Happy Friday!

13. Jill says

Were “The Kite Runner” and “A 1000 Splendid Suns” good, relatively easy/quick reads? And which was better? (or are they meant to be read in succession?). Thanks.

14. Jessica says

I am seriously loving my new Victoria Secrets Pink backpack. I have gotten lots of comments from using it this past week. Its stylish and holds ( most) of my stuff. So far it is one of my best purchases so far!!

That bridesmaid dress for your friends wedding is beautiful, and you could totally wear that again for any summer/spring occasion. Not very many brides pick dresses that can be worn for other events, so good choice Minda!!

I loved that dress you wore in Minda’s wedding! It was just perfect. Those shorts are too awesome! I may see some of those in m future 😉 I’ve always wanted to go scuba diving, but I must say, every year Shark Week freaks me out and I’m not so sure I want to do it anymore haha. Have a great weekend 🙂

The first thing I thought when I saw that dress is that Minda is an awesome bride and actually wanted her maids to look GOOD! I wish I could have traded that dress for a few I’ve worn in the past haha Have fun in vegas!!

Totally agree with you on the bridesmaid dresses! They’re usually pretty pricey, so it’s always nice when you can wear them again.

Hmm what I’m loving lately… Trader Joe’s Cocoa Almond Spread. I can’t get enough. It’s a good thing our nearest TJ’s is 45 minutes away otherwise I’d be in biiiiig trouble. 😉

I was admiring those bridesmaid dresses in your last few posts. So pretty! My friend who’s wedding is this October just told/showed all of the bridesmaids what color she wanted us to wear and that she wanted the dresses to be short. From there we could pick out whatever dress we wanted. We went shopping together one weekend so we could help each other pick too. It made things so easy for everyone’s body type and budget that she was so relaxed about it and since we pick the dress, we know we will wear it again.

19. Tanya says

My vizsla picks up every stick her path as well! Yesterday morning when we went for a run she found a block of wood and carried in her mouth…no lie…for a mile! So funny!

I definitely agree with bridemaids dresses being awesome if they are versatile! I always think back to my prom dresses and how much I spent on them just to wear them ONE night. I would have been better off buying a nice dress which I could at least wear more than once.

I love how you are always traveling for bachelorette parties and weddings! One wedding I was in this summer we had to have royal purple dresses which isn’t my color and my dress looks like I should be going to the club. Definitely not wearing it again sadly. I’m loving that I just booked a flight to Vegas after finals in Dec for a weekend of fun with my sorority sisters!

I have to say that I’ve really enjoyed peeking in on your blog since stumbling upon it a few months ago! I absolutely adore your peanut butter overnight oats recipe… I’m about to have it for breakfast this morning!

I’m very interested in Khaled Hossieni’s new book. A Thousand Splendid Suns was one of the most profound and powerful books I’ve ever read, and his writing is a great insight into a culture that most of us need to know more about.

Julie, last Friday you posted that you are loving the podcast “wait, wait don’t tell me”. I looked it up this week and that is one thing I am loving this Friday. I listened to it on my runs this week and was cracking up. It definitely makes running effortless!

Evening walks can be so lovely, amen.

I am loving ice. I know that is weird, but my water must have ice & I like chewing on ice. But I am also 8+ months pregnant & hot all the time. HAHA.

I am also loving popsicles! Sense a trend?

Have a fun trip!

I’m loving iced coffee lately – ever since guzzling multiple cups of Dunkin a day during my trip to Boston last week, I can’t stop. And I agree that re-wearability (that’s totally a word) can make a bridesmaid’s dress fabulous. My sister chose beautiful black dresses for her bridesmaids and I’ve already re-worn mine at least twice.

Ahh, I’m reading A thousand Splendid Suns by Hosseini and it is incredible! So sad and heavy on my heart, but the writing is so good and I just love the characters. He really knows how to make the reader connect with the main characters. I’ll have to get And The Mountains Echoed after I finish this one!

I love finally getting on the waiting list for my very own vizsla!!! My boyfriend and I have been wanting to get a dog for a while and (thanks quite a bit to Sadie) have landed on a vizsla for their velcro-dog and energetic personalities. SO STINKIN’ EXCITED!

I wish I knew what a re-wearable bridesmaid dress was like! I definitely want my bridesmaids to have those for my own wedding.

I’m also re-acquainting myself with longer runs after a two-month hiatus, and it feels great to be back.

Happy Friday!

Lately, I am loving my new road bike. It has become my new love. After work, I’ve been trying to take it out for 20-25 mile sessions. Its been raining the past two days and I hate that I haven’t been able to get out. Hopefully this weekend!!

I’m loving that pumpkin is creeping its way into the world already this year 🙂 I think I’ll make some pumpkin bread this weekend!

And I think a good bridesmaid dress should be able to be styled different ways, and also fit the bridesmaid’s personality and style. Generic dresses can be hard.

Love bridesmaid dresses that you can re-wear! The dress she chose is gorgeous! I was in a wedding last month where I wore a yellow Banana Republic dress. Love the dress, but it’s not really my color so I’m considering dying it.

Things I’m loving…that it’s Friday already (yay, short week!) and knowing I have all these warm Fall clothes in my closet just waiting for the weather to cool down! 🙂

Definitely something you can re-wear! I’m loving autumn (fall) fruits, especially greengages! Spinning, now, always and forever and our new cafe which we’ve opened up in the gym! Feeding the hungry people post workout!

34. Betsy says

I made the no bake peanut butter oatmeal balls for my parents, they loved them so much they requested another batch a few days later! Hope you have a great time in Vegas!

35. Stacie says

Hi Julie! I couldn’t find the answer to this in your blog posts- are you still running your monthly PBF book club? I would love to know as I am also a “bookworm!” Thanks!

Definitely need to be able to keep your bridesmaid dresses to wear again. I’m getting married next year and am keeping one of the bridesmaid dresses afterwards so that I can wear it in the future!

I think the most awesome thing about a bridesmaid dress is that it’s something that bride picks out and loves for her big day!! Although you probably couldn’t wear my bridesmaids dresses again.. I LOVED them and they really made our group pictures pop! BUT my friend picked her bridesmaids dresses and they are to DIE for.. I’m already planning occasions to wear it again after her wedding!!

38. Tara says

How did you like the Handmaid’s Tale? I thought it was a great read! I studied women’s history in university and so I found it incredibly interesting.

Currently, I’m in the middle of Rules of Civility, by Amor Towles, and thoroughly enjoying it. You should keep it in mind for the book club 🙂

39. Kati says

This week, me and my best friend are loving:

*Reading your blog
    *Baking cookies at 11:30pm on a a Friday night 😉
    *Being able to work on Thursdays from home
    *The sore feeling the day after a leg workout
    *Long, aimless walks through the neighborhood in the dark

Have a great weekend everyone!!

As a guy I had to skip a few of these, but I too love flavored water and I’m definitely going to be giving those no bake oatmeal nut butter balls a try! Really enjoying your site as well.

Jay

I am LOVING your Peanut Butter Oatmeal balls too lately! I’ve made a double batch every week since your post. I have two small girls (6.5 and 4.5) and they LOVE them just as much as me. AS a busy mom, I love that I have a healthy, portable, and filling snack to give them on the go or to add to their lunch boxes!

I’ve made the No Bake Oatmeal Nut Butter Balls twice since reading this post last week. I obviously love them, but my problem is that I could eat the whole batch at one time! The bonus is that my five year old likes them too – but she calls them meatballs :-). “Mom, can I have another peanut butter meatball??” Haha! Thanks for the recipe!

43. Libby Oed says

Hey =)
    I just wanted to pop in and say how much I am loving your blog! I have only just found it, but I think it is fantastic! I love getting to see a part of your life! You are truly beautiful, and seem to be so lovely inside to, thank you for sharing your passion for health with us! I am currently loving the spring weather and making plans for later this year / next year. Its all very exciting!
    Hope you have a fantastic rest of your week!
    Libby =)

I love bridesmaid dresses that don’t scream “I’m a bridesmaid dress” and that are just very pretty dresses that can be worn again. I was in two weddings in September and the brides picked beautiful dresses like that. I ironically definitely had “bridesmaid dresses” when I got married haha 🙂