Hot Holidays Workout

It is one heck of a dreary day in Ocala today. I’m so glad Ryan and I got our workout out of the way before the rain started because taking myself through a kick-butt workout when it’s cloudy and rainy outside is a lot harder. Yes, my workout motivation changes with the weather! All I want to do it be lazy and curl up in bed with a book!

Unfortunately that’s not an option today and I’m heading off to work soon, but let’s do the typical blog thang and recap the morning, shall we?

Workout

Ryan and I ended up doing the exact same workout today (he used heavier weights) and it was fun to have a workout buddy! Even though we go to the gym together most days, we rarely work out together.

Today’s workout had us going at different speeds, so we typically weren’t doing the same exercise at the same time, but it was fun to have someone going through the same routine with me!

In the end our workout looked like this:

Hot Holidays Workout

(Yes, PicMonkey updated their holiday designs and I just had to use them today!)

Here are links to video demos of some of the exercises:

One little note about the workout: We did the exercises in the first box in order and the exercises in the second box in order, but would sometimes complete one of the second box exercises after one of the first box exercises. I know it’s kind of confusing, so here’s an example:

• 50 power cleans
  • 50 box jumps
  • 50 dumbbell rows
  • 50 push ups
  • 4 minute row
  • 50 push presses, etc.

I like to complete workouts that are flexible, so I could do the box jumps or other cardio-heavy exercises when I was in the mood to in between some of the strength-heavy exercises featured in the first box. And, as the note on the workout says, if I needed to rest for more than 10 seconds, I would hop on a piece of cardio equipment (I chose the elliptical) and do light cardio for a minute until I caught my breath again.

It was an intense workout, but I left the gym feeling accomplished. Win!

Breakfast this morning felt like a weekend breakfast!

French Toast

I made two slices of French toast followed by a hot mug of peppermint crème coffee about an hour later.

DSC_0017

Not a bad way to start a Tuesday!

Comments

1. Yajaira says

OMG I love French Toast! Especially with Pepperidge Farm Brown Sugar Cinnamon Swirl Bread. My son was actually just asking for French Toast–for Thanksgiving Breakfast. :)

I haven’t worked out with a workout buddy in forever and I probably will pretty soon, if only to shake it up a bit. This looks like a great workout and the holiday themed graphic is so adorable. :) Heading off to picmonkey right now. :P

You’re so right. I am kicking myself for not getting my run done this morning. Its the cold front passing through Florida that is giving us the not so beautiful weather!
    I love these workouts you post, gives me so many good ideas for when I actually decide to do something other than hot yoga or spin :)
    I hope you have a great day!

4. Rina says

Im definitely regretting my decision to stay in my flannel sheets in bed this morning instead of going for a run! It’s gettin cold up here in NYC. Just wondering if you had any ideas for a substitute for box jumps? Thanks! Excited to try this

This workout looks so fun! I’m with you about the weather making an impact.. I have a really hard time working out when it’s raining, or cold and dreary. I’m hoping I will get a workout in today with all the snow coming our way!

I love that you and Ryan go to the gym together! And it’s awesome that y’all can workout together too. That’s a characteristic I’m looking for in a future husband: someone who will go to the gym with me and who I can workout with!

It’s a dreary day here too. We’re actually expecting a Nor’Easter to come through the area sometime today. Yuck!

It’s so nice that you and Ryan go to the gym together. It always makes the time go faster when you have a workout buddy!

I love that you and Ryan did your work outs together! I am getting the boy back into fitness and a little more active…running, skiing and even ab work together. I LOVE being able to do it with him!!!

9. Jill says

Thank you so much for sharing this work out today. It was really gross weather here in VA too, and I didn’t feel like going out to the gym. I did this work out in my living room (my couch worked surprisingly well for the box jumps!). It was such a good work out, I’m already sore walking up and down steps! Thanks for your continued inspiration!

This workout sounds intense!! Good for you! I have the same issue with not wanting to work out when its gloomy outside. I also just want a blanket and some coffee all cozy indoors. I’m going to have that same battle this afternoon when my workout time comes. Hopefully I’ll be as successful as you! Happy Tuesday.

Great workout! I was actually surprised that PicMonkey updated their holiday theme already, since it was originally Thanksgiving and we haven’t even had the holiday yet! Haha not that I’m complaining about anything revolving around Christmas!

French toast, not a bad way at all, and so appropriate for a holiday week! Thanks for the workout. I could totally do it in my condo when I go to FL for Xmas since I have a pair of dumbbells, so it’s nifty to have pinned!

Love the workout! Definitely one to pin. I totally have that “flexible” approach when it comes to workouts with heavy weights and high reps! How long did it take and what sort of weights did you use?

14. Krystle says

Nice! Have you been to a crossfit class?
    I’m curious… at what weight did you do the thrusters & push presses? Unless you did it with dumbbells, we only have a 45 lb bar and I can’t imagine being able to do it with that.