The 50 Rep Workout

Though Ryan and I go to the gym together most weekday mornings, we rarely do the same workout. Today, however, we ended up doing the exact same workout! (Well, Ryan used heavier weights than I did, so it wasn’t exactly the same, but I think that counts!)

I’m dubbing this workout The 50 Rep Workout because we went through a series of exercises and completed 50 reps of each one before we moved onto the next. If we needed to rest for more than 10 seconds, we hopped on a piece of cardio equipment to complete some low-intensity cardio while we caught our breath.

The 50 Rep Workout

Some video demos of a few of the exercises:

We both took advantage of the low-intensity cardio “rest” a number of times and I finished feeling like I got a great workout. Plus, I wasn’t bored for even one minute, so I consider that a victory!

Breakfast this morning was one of my breakfast staples: An egg white and oatmeal protein pancake.

egg white oatmeal protein pancake

I added sliced almonds to the mix again, which seems to happen nearly every time I make that pancake. I love the added crunch and it’s an easy way to incorporate some healthy fats into my morning  meal.

An apple was also enjoyed on the side.

No coffee for this girl because my Keurig is dying a slow death. But there is hope on the horizon!

Keurig Return

Pretty sweet, right!?

And you better believe I took a screen shot of the tweet they sent to me to make sure my local Bed, Bath and Beyond will honor it, too!

Off to teach and work. Have a fabulous Thursday!

P.S. Thank you to blog reader Wendy D. for letting me know that there’s a Groupon available today with Gaiam where you can spend $25 to get $50 worth of credit to their website (or spend $40 for $80). Thought you might want to know since I know some of you have been eyeing my favorite gym bag on their website! Also, one of my coworkers has their halter workout tank in black and wears it to teach Pilates and I’ve always thought it was adorable.

P.P.S. Some new design updates: I’m working to get the email subscription link working and the mobile version of the blog much more reader-friendly. And make it so you guys can click to comment at the bottom of a blog post, not just the top. Hoping to iron out the kinks soon!!!

Question of the Morning

• Do you prefer to workout alone, with a workout buddy or with a group?

For the most part, I like doing my own thing at the gym, but nothing beats a butt-kicking group exercise class in my book. I love being surrounded by people who are giving it their all in the gym and if a group exercise teacher can get me out of my comfort zone and blast energizing music as the same time, I will be one heck of a happy camper.

Comments

I love to workout alone and run in a group. This way you can chat while you run and not be too bored. I love bed bath and beyond. They are like Nordstrom’s and have the best return policy. Their sister store for babies (buy buy baby) is equally as awesome but for little kid stuff which is amazing!

I like to do my own thing but I also have such a passion for group fitness! I have seen the power of the group from teaching. IT is such a special thing when 20+ people are together in the same room, doing the same workout, to some awesome music and a whole lot of encouragement, there are no limits to what you can achieve! I also LOVE your workouts always, so thanks for that (:

This looks like a great workout! I definitely want to try this. I love all your workouts. Funny you mention Bed Bath and Beyond. A few weeks ago our vacuum died. It was new from June at my shower, and it just quit working. I was nervous but called BBB and they said I could return it fine even without the box and receipt! I just showed up with the broken one and returned with a brand new one in the box. Pretty awesome customer service.

• says

I know!!! I am so impressed. When a friend told me about their return policy over Thanksgiving, I was psyched! My Keurig has been on the outs for months (it now trickles and only brews 1/8 of a cup of coffee… if that), so I am so happy to hear I can just bring it in for a new one. Win!!

That’s a great workout! I will definitely have to give it a try.
    Bed Bath and Beyond is awesome! We registered there and over a year after our wedding, took back some stuff that we didn’t have receipts for…and it was not a problem at all!

This looks like a great workout!! I normally workout by myself, but when my boyfriend is in town, then we workout together, but don’t do the same workout most the time haha. We just kind of talk in between sets. Yay!! That’s great that Bed Bath & Beyond will take it back, not many store will take it back after a year of using it!!

I’m a bit of a loner when it comes to working out but i love it when i get the opportunity to workout with a buddy. I feel like working out with others really helps you keep your energy up.

8. Mary B says

Have you tried to clean your Keurig? There are instructions in the booklet, but basically you just run straight vinegar through it several times and let it sit for a couple hours. I do that every time mine gets slow or sluggish, and I’ve had the same machine for over 5 years. Of course sometimes things are just broken, but you might want to try it. Good luck!

9. karen @fabinyour40s.com says

Julie: there is a web-site that tells you how to fix your broken Keurig machine. It worked for me so don’t chuck it yet. The comments from people are hilarious so if you’re just looking for a laugh read through them. I Blogged about it a while back so I attached my Blog so you can get to the Keurig web-site through it. This lady’s advise works! http://fabinyour40s.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/keurig-kup-calamity/

10. Cathryn says

I was a college athlete and used to love being a part of a team! But now exercise classes give me a lot of anxiety because I play the “comparison game” with the other people in the class…sad but true. I have fallen in love with Zuzka’s ZGym HIIT workouts. I do them every morning and they last no longer than 25 minutes. I’m usually pouring sweat and my cat is looking at me funny, but so worth it! I love love love your new blog design!!!

11. karen @fabinyour40s.com says

PS: Mine was only trickling too and I use a paper clip and clean out the needle. The web-site will tell you what to do. Worked like a charm for me since.

I workout two days on my own and the rest of the week I do classes. I like doing a bit of both! Love that workout! What sort of weights did you use for the rows and high pulls? Chest press and push press? Totally doing this one tomorrow btw!

Great workout! I love working out in group fitness classes. It helps motivate me so much more and it’s so much more fun!

That’s so awesome to know about Bed, Bath and Beyond! I shop there a lot, so I’ll definitely keep that in mind!

I really think it depends on my mood. Most days, I’ll work out alone (like today), because when I’m strength training, I need to count reps, but it’s also great to have someone to chat with during a walk/run/stair climb. Cardio is social, Weights are Solo. :-)

15. Adelaide says

Hi Julie! I love stopping by your site for new workout ideas. I love the new design! I’m not sure if this is true for others (so feel free to ignore it) but I find it really hard to read to gray/blue text links. The light background/light text combo can be tough. If you’re still working out the kinks, maybe consider darkening that a tad? Just a thought!

I love when companies have strong social media and can provide quick customer care! Way to go BB&B! Not to mention no coffee is not ok. :) I like working out on my own and in a group. Keeping a mix of both is motivating; social time and alone time to think.

I absolutely LOVE group exercise, especially when it involves an awesome instructor. Luckily, that happened this morning. I took a circuit training class and our instructor definitely pushed us beyond our limits. I felt like I maximized my performance much more than I would have working out alone.
    Also, just wanted to thank you for the information on the 7 minute workout. I did it two times in a row last night and it really got my heart pumping!

I love BBB, they always have such great customer service. Can I ask why you don’t use the whole egg in your pancakes? I saw you mentioned you added almonds for some healthy fats.

I suppose it depends on what I am doing that day. For example, I prefer to do cardio alone but will take a class for boxing cardio workout and like working with a partner when I am training with weights (for obvious reasons) and I usually train with my husband, which is nice.

It makes me sad to see how many people don’t like group fitness! I’m admittedly a group fitness junkie and feel completely lost when I don’t have the instructor directing me and pushing me to do more! Its so much easier to be kept accountable and push yourself in a group! Body pump is the JAM and I can thank you for that revelation. 😉

21. Holly says

I’m so glad you shared the Groupon deal with us! I’ve been using a free bag I got at Old Navy a year ago and needing a real gym bag. I really like the Gaiam bag you told us about in a previous post!

22. Jan Klein says

The folks at Keurig are so nice! You can generally call & they will have you send in the part that punches through the coffee pod. Then they’ll send you a new machine. Even better if BBBY will replace it for you. They have a fantastic return policy. I have just recently gotten not 1 but 2 machines (1 for home & 1 for work). LOVE them!!

23. Hannah Davison says

I am SO excited about this Groupon deal! I’ve been wanting this bag since you posted about it but I couldn’t bring myself to spend $60. Thanks so much for letting us know!

I love Bed, Bath, and Beyond and I especially love my Keurig. Good to know about the replacements! My boyfriend and I work out together most mornings. It is something that we look forward to and a guaranteed time to see each other with our crazy schedules. I also love working out with friends or going to a great group class!

25. Shannon Rounseville says

Hi Julie! Thank you for all of your great blog posts. I have been reading your blog for about a year now and have never commented but read it daily. I love the protein pancake recipe! I also love the workout ideas and sometimes when I’m having a dud workout at the gym I will pull up your blog and do yours! Recently I have been training for the Boston Marathon for this upcoming April 2014. I use your lower body strengthening exercises to ward off ITB tendinitis/ patellofemoral syndrome! They are helpful! I currently work as a Nurse Practitioner at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital and am fundraising for the Emergency Relief Fund through Beth Israel. All money raised for this program will go directly to the patients/ families affected by the life devastating disaster Boston Marathon 2013 and future disasters. It will help our team provide care for these patients through orthopaedics, physical therapy, counseling. I was hoping you might share my fundraising page or consider donating yourself. I appreciate you even taking a look! This is my first time fundraising and my second Boston Marathon. Thanks for being a motivator!!

26. Casie says

I prefer to run alone… Well, actually with my dog. However, when I practice yoga or aerial I most definitely prefer group class. There is just something about everyones’energy and the instructors are awesome! Plus you get to Lear knew tricks and poses.

27. Joy says

Ahhh thanks for the heads up about the Groupon! I’ve been eyeing the bag for awhile and this was the final push to convince myself I needed it :)

As for workouts, I personally love doing most of my toning/weight workouts and machine cardio alone as I typically get in the zone with my music playlists and just want to focus on myself. But I also love love love my yoga class (and it’s usually pretty full) and nothing makes me happier than a good long run with my fiance – we usually get a little competitive so that can make for a fun and rewarding run sesh!

I prefer to work out alone but I like when my husband goes with me to the gym…we usually do our own thing with weights/strength training and then do cardio together at the end (elliptical or treadmill). I also like to do a group class like yoga or hot piyo every once in a while :)

29. Ruth says

I love group exercise, but usually can’t find a class time that fits my schedule. I have learned to enjoy loner workouts with videos, some of your workouts or other’s from Pintrest and of course Youtube workouts are my fave and the charliejames1975 30 day challenge just totally leaves me drowning in my own sweat. lol
    I think I prefer running with a group, it’s not something I enjoy and if I have a partner to push me I will try harder. But honestly I find running way too hard on my knees, there is no way to modify it other than to walk.
    Yes, your new look is very beautiful, but some things are hard to read, the links don’t seem to show up against the white background.

I’m such a social person but I prefer to workout alone. It’s my one point in the day where I can just be alone and release any stresses from the day. When I run with friends, I end up wanting to listen to my music instead! Haha.

My boyfriend and I are kind of like you and Ryan. We go to the gym together but kind of do our own thing. I like it that way because I can focus on what I’d like to do, but have someone to chat with before & after. It is also fun to do a class together every now and then.

32. Marieve says

Thanks for the 50 rep Workout! I wanted to do a quick workout during my lych breack at the hospital today so I used it as a circuit. 10 reps each exercise, no rest, x3! 20 mins ! It did the trick!

A working-out buddy is the best! I workout alone 99% of the time, and alone is at my house or running around the neighborhood! Not too many exercise enthusiast around me! So, whenever I have a buddy I enjoy it and time goes quick!

Another workout I pinned! I prefer to work out alone, but in group fitness classes. Whenever I take one where the teacher asks us to partner up, I get annoyed! I guess I’m a bit antisocial but the gym is my me-time.

I prefer to workout by myself. I stay focused that way. However, I do like to take classes tho, so that means I do enjoy working out with others?! lol. That protein cake sounds amazing. Perfect snack for a post workout!

YAY! My Gaiam bag is also on its way! Groupon is a little hit or miss (a 12-pack of Knorr recipe mixes and a set of silk sheets? no thanks), but I was so happy to see that one pop up this morning! Thanks for sharing it!

37. Crystal C. says

Sorry about your Keurig!! Mine died a couple of weeks ago too. :( Do you know if you have to have the receipt and box for it? I have had mine for over a year and I just can’t bring myself to throw it out yet. I am hoping it just magically starts working haha!

Good to know BBB will take back a broken keurig! They’ve been great to work with for me in the past. We had some Calphalon Unison “non-stick” skillets that were sticking about a year after we got them. BBB took them back and gave us brand new ones, not questions asked. It was great not to have to fight for them.

39. chelsea says

I love the way your new blog looks, but to be honest the new font is hard to read–like it needs to be bolded, it’s kind of an eye strain to read it :( Also, the hyperlinks come up pretty faint as well (and I did see one or two other comments on that). I DO LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your blog and the new design is awesome, but was just curious if it’s just my monitor (or brain)?

Great workout, Julie! I’m also loving the new blog design!
    I actually enjoy all 3 types of workouts: individual, buddy, and group. It’s nice to mix it up to stay motivated and keep exercise fun and fresh.
    Have a great Friday!

41. Ashleigh P says

Loving the new look!!! I prefer to work out alone but it is nice to have a friend around every now and then. When I’m alone I think I push myself harder and don’t get distracted by wanting to chat with someone :)

42. Calie says

Do morning workouts work out better for you? I always wanted to try and get into that routine because I’m horrible with committing to a workout after work!

It’s strange that I love being with people but when it comes to working out I’m a real lone ranger! I don’t try to be, but I guess I’m just so different from everyone I know that I just do my own thing~and I get extremely focused even without music or anything like that, so I think my friends kind of feel like I’m drill sergeant or something… 0_0

44. Allison says

You can call Keurig directly and they should send you a new one. After 2 replacements I’ve finally learned to cleanit with vinegar every 2 months!

45. Katie Armstrong says

Not sure if someone told you already, so I apologize if I’m being repetitive. I read your blog on my phone and have a really hard time seeing the links because they are such a light blue. Besides that, I LOVE the new look!

46. Fiona MacDonald says

Having a buddy always helps push you to do a little heavier, or ONE more rep! Plus it’s a great time to catch up (if you can talk that is) and spend time with friends !! Group classes always motivate me so much more then I could ever motivate myself!

47. De says

I’m totally social, so I have found the Crossfit environment is perfect for me.
    I love that you use low impact cardio to catch your breath! When my box has running in the WOD I always find myself using the time to rest and re-set even though I am definitely moving. Makes me realize my past running days did me way more good then I was aware of.

Woo, that’s exciting news about the Keurig! Good to know.

I’ve always been a solo exerciser but recently I started going to yoga classes, and I’m hooked! I love the sense of community and I feel like I get a much better guided workout in than I would by myself.