The 50 Rep Workout

Though Ryan and I go to the gym together most weekday mornings, we rarely do the same workout. Today, however, we ended up doing the exact same workout! (Well, Ryan used heavier weights than I did, so it wasn’t exactly the same, but I think that counts!)

I’m dubbing this workout The 50 Rep Workout because we went through a series of exercises and completed 50 reps of each one before we moved onto the next. If we needed to rest for more than 10 seconds, we hopped on a piece of cardio equipment to complete some low-intensity cardio while we caught our breath.

The 50 Rep Workout

Some video demos of a few of the exercises:

We both took advantage of the low-intensity cardio “rest” a number of times and I finished feeling like I got a great workout. Plus, I wasn’t bored for even one minute, so I consider that a victory!

Breakfast this morning was one of my breakfast staples: An egg white and oatmeal protein pancake.

egg white oatmeal protein pancake

I added sliced almonds to the mix again, which seems to happen nearly every time I make that pancake. I love the added crunch and it’s an easy way to incorporate some healthy fats into my morning  meal.

An apple was also enjoyed on the side.

No coffee for this girl because my Keurig is dying a slow death. But there is hope on the horizon!

Keurig Return

Pretty sweet, right!?

And you better believe I took a screen shot of the tweet they sent to me to make sure my local Bed, Bath and Beyond will honor it, too!

Off to teach and work. Have a fabulous Thursday!

P.S. Thank you to blog reader Wendy D. for letting me know that there’s a Groupon available today with Gaiam where you can spend $25 to get $50 worth of credit to their website (or spend $40 for $80). Thought you might want to know since I know some of you have been eyeing my favorite gym bag on their website! Also, one of my coworkers has their halter workout tank in black and wears it to teach Pilates and I’ve always thought it was adorable.

P.P.S. Some new design updates: I’m working to get the email subscription link working and the mobile version of the blog much more reader-friendly. And make it so you guys can click to comment at the bottom of a blog post, not just the top. Hoping to iron out the kinks soon!!!

Question of the Morning

• Do you prefer to workout alone, with a workout buddy or with a group?

For the most part, I like doing my own thing at the gym, but nothing beats a butt-kicking group exercise class in my book. I love being surrounded by people who are giving it their all in the gym and if a group exercise teacher can get me out of my comfort zone and blast energizing music as the same time, I will be one heck of a happy camper.

Comments

I’m such a social person but I prefer to workout alone. It’s my one point in the day where I can just be alone and release any stresses from the day. When I run with friends, I end up wanting to listen to my music instead! Haha.

My boyfriend and I are kind of like you and Ryan. We go to the gym together but kind of do our own thing. I like it that way because I can focus on what I’d like to do, but have someone to chat with before & after. It is also fun to do a class together every now and then.

3. Marieve says

Thanks for the 50 rep Workout! I wanted to do a quick workout during my lych breack at the hospital today so I used it as a circuit. 10 reps each exercise, no rest, x3! 20 mins ! It did the trick!

A working-out buddy is the best! I workout alone 99% of the time, and alone is at my house or running around the neighborhood! Not too many exercise enthusiast around me! So, whenever I have a buddy I enjoy it and time goes quick!

Another workout I pinned! I prefer to work out alone, but in group fitness classes. Whenever I take one where the teacher asks us to partner up, I get annoyed! I guess I’m a bit antisocial but the gym is my me-time.

I prefer to workout by myself. I stay focused that way. However, I do like to take classes tho, so that means I do enjoy working out with others?! lol. That protein cake sounds amazing. Perfect snack for a post workout!

YAY! My Gaiam bag is also on its way! Groupon is a little hit or miss (a 12-pack of Knorr recipe mixes and a set of silk sheets? no thanks), but I was so happy to see that one pop up this morning! Thanks for sharing it!

8. Crystal C. says

Sorry about your Keurig!! Mine died a couple of weeks ago too. :( Do you know if you have to have the receipt and box for it? I have had mine for over a year and I just can’t bring myself to throw it out yet. I am hoping it just magically starts working haha!

Good to know BBB will take back a broken keurig! They’ve been great to work with for me in the past. We had some Calphalon Unison “non-stick” skillets that were sticking about a year after we got them. BBB took them back and gave us brand new ones, not questions asked. It was great not to have to fight for them.

10. chelsea says

I love the way your new blog looks, but to be honest the new font is hard to read–like it needs to be bolded, it’s kind of an eye strain to read it :( Also, the hyperlinks come up pretty faint as well (and I did see one or two other comments on that). I DO LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your blog and the new design is awesome, but was just curious if it’s just my monitor (or brain)?

Great workout, Julie! I’m also loving the new blog design!
    I actually enjoy all 3 types of workouts: individual, buddy, and group. It’s nice to mix it up to stay motivated and keep exercise fun and fresh.
    Have a great Friday!

12. Ashleigh P says

Loving the new look!!! I prefer to work out alone but it is nice to have a friend around every now and then. When I’m alone I think I push myself harder and don’t get distracted by wanting to chat with someone :)

13. Calie says

Do morning workouts work out better for you? I always wanted to try and get into that routine because I’m horrible with committing to a workout after work!

It’s strange that I love being with people but when it comes to working out I’m a real lone ranger! I don’t try to be, but I guess I’m just so different from everyone I know that I just do my own thing~and I get extremely focused even without music or anything like that, so I think my friends kind of feel like I’m drill sergeant or something… 0_0

15. Allison says

You can call Keurig directly and they should send you a new one. After 2 replacements I’ve finally learned to cleanit with vinegar every 2 months!

16. Katie Armstrong says

Not sure if someone told you already, so I apologize if I’m being repetitive. I read your blog on my phone and have a really hard time seeing the links because they are such a light blue. Besides that, I LOVE the new look!

17. Fiona MacDonald says

Having a buddy always helps push you to do a little heavier, or ONE more rep! Plus it’s a great time to catch up (if you can talk that is) and spend time with friends !! Group classes always motivate me so much more then I could ever motivate myself!

18. De says

I’m totally social, so I have found the Crossfit environment is perfect for me.
    I love that you use low impact cardio to catch your breath! When my box has running in the WOD I always find myself using the time to rest and re-set even though I am definitely moving. Makes me realize my past running days did me way more good then I was aware of.

Woo, that’s exciting news about the Keurig! Good to know.

I’ve always been a solo exerciser but recently I started going to yoga classes, and I’m hooked! I love the sense of community and I feel like I get a much better guided workout in than I would by myself.