I have a delicious new butternut squash soup recipe to share with you guys today!
But first, a quick peek into last night…
After work yesterday, Ryan and I knew Sadie needed some love and piled into my car to take the pup to the dog park!
We don’t go to the dog park in Ocala all that often since it’s a bit of a drive and Sadie is quite content to play frisbee in our backyard, but yesterday Ryan and I decided to take her out for a little adventure.
She made us laugh by avoiding all of the other dogs and barking at us to play fetch with her using a deserted ball she found on the ground. Clearly Sadie failed to understand that we brought her there to play with the other dogs, not us.
This dog loves fetch, that’s for sure!
Once we made it home, it was time for dinner. I’ve been trying out the free sample meal plans on Cook Smarts (<—affiliate link!) and loving them lately, so I knew exactly what we were going to have for dinner the moment we walked through the door.
I discovered Cook Smarts thanks to Kath’s blog and I’m so glad I did. The website makes meal planning a breeze and you can easily customize recipes and make them vegetarian, gluten-free or Paleo if desired. The recipes tell you what you can prep ahead to save time and also come along with a detailed grocery list for the week.
Last night Ryan and I loosely followed Cook Smarts’ recipe for butternut squash curry, but transformed it into more of a broth-based soup with chicken and kale. It was fantastic!
Here’s the recipe with our alterations:
Curried Butternut Squash Soup (with Kale and Chicken)
Slightly altered from Cook Smarts’ Butternut Squash Curry
Makes four bowls of soup
- 1 1/3 cup pureed butternut squash (I used frozen butternut squash)
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups fresh kale, leaves torn
- 1 large skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1/2 14-ounce can light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1 1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Pour in 1/4 can of light coconut milk and whisk in curry paste. Simmer for ~1 minute.
- Add chopped onions and simmer for another ~3 minutes. Add chicken, butternut squash, kale, ginger, another 1/4 can of coconut milk, chicken stock and fish sauce. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer, and cook uncovered for an additional 25 minutes to allow flavors to develop.
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
It was delicious!
Question of the Morning
- Do you take time to meal plan every week?
- Have you ever used a website or magazine to help with meal planning?