Hop On, Hop Off Treadmill Workout

Since Ryan and I are currently living in temporary housing, I’m hesitant to join a gym. I’m not sure exactly where we’ll end up and I don’t want to get roped into a contract. Plus, I’ve been loving Pure Barre (I signed up for the new client package) and the free little gym we have at our disposal at our apartment complex isn’t too shabby! It has a few cardio machines and free weights, so outside of Pure Barre, my workouts have been rather simple and taken place at our little gym (or outside)!

Here’s a super simple workout that can easily be completed with free weights and a treadmill and targets both the upper and lower body.

Hop On Hop Off Treadmill Workout

It’s a good one for days when you’re feeling indecisive at the gym and want a workout that keeps things moving!

More Treadmill Workouts

20 Minute Treadmill Interval Workout

30-Minute-Treadmill-Interval-Workout

Question of the Afternoon

• If you don’t have a gym membership, where do you go (if anywhere) to work out?

Comments

1. Kim says

Hi Julie!! Are you waiting until you join a gym before going back to Body Pump?

Thanks for the workout lists! My free workouts: There’s a (really nice, but smaller) gym at my office with really high end machines. But it’s hard to get down there, compete for a machine when it’s busy, and then shower and get back to work. But I will use that, because it’s free to me. But it’s pretty much a cardio gym, no free weights, and one big weight machine. I also loooooove go to on long, long, long walks. And I have a (very nice) recumbent bike at home.

However, because most of the above is dependent on either other people or the weather, I’ve been heavily thinking of rejoining a gym, and I’ve narrowed it down to joining my local YMCA. I can go to any one of 21 locations in my city, and they have boatloads of classes! All day long, including at 8:00 p.m.! I was re-inspired to rejoin a gym when I saw a great ab workout in the pool, and I had forgotten all about how great the pool is for conditioning your body. I used to do (intense) water aerobics a long time ago and I loved it and miss it. It’s more expensive than other gyms (in my area), but the customer service and amenities can’t be beat, and it’s non-profit and helps the community.

I’ve toured, had week passes, and re-toured my local Xperience fitness, and even though the price was great, the machines always need updating, it’s not very clean, and it’s super, duper, hard to cancel your membership (yelp has many complaints). I’m not sure if this is just a problem at my location, or with the franchise overall. The complaints seem to be from all over. Nobody complains about the trainers, but they complain about the billing department. I’ve also toured and tried out Anytime Fitness and Snap Fitness, but I’m not super thrilled about the idea of going somewhere that isn’t staffed all the time. And again, no classes, no pool, no locker rooms.

I also used to be a member of Lifetime Fitness when it was new in my area, and they cost almost as much as the Y but with less amenities and a lot of pay-for-a-class-on-top-of-your-membership fees.

Looking forward to hearing about what gym you might join eventually. Hope you have some wonderful choices in your area. 🙂

I love your treadmill workouts, can’t wait to try this newest one!!! I went to the gym in university but have never had a membership since then. I do all my workouts at home and have actually found that works better for me. I always felt very self continuous at the gym and at home I push myself MUCH harder since I know no one is watching 🙂

The past 4 years I never had to worrying about getting a gym membership because of the gym at my school, but I no longer have that luxury! I currently use the small gym at my apartment, but hope to get a gym membership later this year when our budget isn’t so tight!

Before Pure Barre came along – we were members of the YMCA. They offer a Metro Membership that lets you go to all of the YMCAs in Charlotte, Lake Norman and Mooresville. If you haven’t checked out the Lake Norman Y (it is between Cornelius and Davidson off 115) – you should go ! It is one of the few YMCAs that has waterfront property. They have a great triathalon training program there and offer practice swims in the lake. They also have some really good Group Exercise Classes. I am definitely partial to Pure Barre – but the YMCA is definitely worth checking out… and with a Metro Membership, it would not matter where you ended up in the Charlotte area – there would be a local Y.

We setup a mini gym in our basement and I have been doing outside body weight workouts. I also use Groupon to find deals to try new exercise studios. It is a good way to get out of your comfort zone and try new things!

So far, not having a gym membership has been fun!

6. Hannah says

I recently cancelled my CrossFit membership since I cannot make the class times (and to save some $$$!) and have been doing a lot of intervals on the treadmill involving getting off and in like this one. I love these since I don’t get bored! The tone it up girls have a few good ones, would love to see some more here as I love all of your other work outs!

I have a treadmill and some dumbbells at home and can get in a great workout! I love having the option to workout at home when I don’t have time to hit the gym or need to squeeze in a workout while the baby naps! Thanks for sharing this!