25 Things You Don’t Know About Me

This is one of those super-random blog posts that I figured might be fun and also spark some great comments from you guys since I always love learning more about you! I first saw this questionnaire on Tina’s blog a couple of weeks ago and bookmarked it since I thought it was very entertaining to read.

The questionnaire provides 25 prompts to reveal “25 Things You Don’t Know About Me,” and while longtime readers probably do know some of these things, there were a few random prompts that may reveal some new stuff. Feel free to play along in the comments section of this post. I love getting to know you better!

25 Things You Don’t Know About Me

1. I’m happiest when… 1.) I’m hiking with Ryan and Sadie 2.) Hanging out with my family 3.) I’m with my girlfriends

2. …Especially if it… 1.) Involves beautiful autumn mountain views 2.) Involves a holiday tradition 3.) Involves doing absolutely nothing together

3. I’ve always wanted to… See whales in the wild and scuba dive in the Great Barrier Reef.

4. My family and I… Support and love each other unconditionally. And have a lot of fun together!

5. I was a terrible… Math student. (Copying Tina on this one because it’s so very true!)

6. My first job was… Working as a lifeguard at Birchwood Pool in Palatine, Illinois.

7. I could probably eat ice cream everyday. There should not be a “probably” in this equation.

Julie's Ice Cream

8. I stole… I can’t think of anything! Unless you count my sister’s clothes/purses/shoes. (We did this to each other.)

9. I was born on the same day as… Ulysses Grant and Casey Kasem.

10. My all-time favorite film is… Father of the Bride.

11. I do a pretty mean… Sadie impression.

12. I’m still mad… I didn’t study abroad.

13. I met my husband… In college. (The below photo was taken at my sorority’s camo social which should explain Ryan’s stylin’ headband.)

Camo social

14. I always knew I wanted… A dog. We never had one growing up and a puppy was always on my Christmas list. Sadie was a long time coming!

Swimming vizsla

15. I’m not afraid to… Go scuba diving!

scuba diving pbfingers

16. I make the best… Cookies ‘n’ cream milkshakes. Just ask Ryan!

17. I have almost no… Flexibility. It’s sad.

18. I always cry when… I see or read about dogs that have been abused or mistreated. Or when I read this blog post. (Seriously, I cried again just linking to that post. Sadie must live forever.)

19. I’m (now) a North Carolinian, but I think I’ll always identify  most as a Midwestern girl.

20. I spent 12 years… Living in Palatine, Illinois before moving to Florida the summer before I started college.

21. I wish my folks… Lived closer to me.

22. At 5, I was deeply in love with dolphins and The Little Mermaid.

23. I believe if everyone exercised a little more kindness, the world would be a better place.

be kind to others

24. I can’t stand… Small, enclosed spaces. (I’m claustrophobic.)

25. Whenever Friends is on, I’ll watch it.

Lunch

A random survey followed by a quick lunch recap? Why not!?

Today’s afternoon meal included a chicken tikka masala wrap that I made with fresh spinach and leftovers from last night’s dinner.

chicken tikka masala wrap

Plus a little sweetness on the side in the form of Brookside pomegranate dark chocolate.

Brookside Pomegranate Nice and easy!

Date Night Outfit

For those who asked about my date night outfit from Saturday night, here are the details!

Bar Cocoa Gelato

• Cobalt crop top: Mimi Chica (via Nordstrom Rack in Charlotte – I couldn’t find the top online, but here are similar options: $15 ArdenB crossover crop top, $24 Bisou Bisou crop top)
  • Black high-waisted maxi skirt: Soprano (via Nordstrom Rack in Charlotte – Again, I couldn’t find the exact skirt online, so here are similar options: $18 Mossimo, $47 Bloomingdale’s)
  • Cross necklace + Gold cross bangle + Black layering bracelets: I can’t remember the brands, but I got all of them on HauteLook
  • Long chevron charm necklace: White Plum
  • (Faux) horn watch: Kenneth Jay Lane (via RueLaLa)

Questions of the Afternoon

• Answer one or all of the following prompts from the above survey (or choose your own!):

I’m happiest when…

I was born the same day as…

At 5, I was deeply in love with…

I could probably eat _____ everyday

I make the best…

Comments

1. Kelly says

I could probably eat CHOCOLATE COVERED ALMONDS everyday! Dark chocolate or milk chocolate, whatever! :) Because there’s an almond in there, they are healthy….RIGHT??? 😉

2. Katy Widrick says

I feel like your sister from another mister. There are so many things from your list that could go on mine!

I love this survey! I might copy you and do it on my blog later :)
    At 5, I was deeply in love with filming home videos with my brother.
    I could probably eat peanut butter everyday…wait, I do.
    I make the best salads or overnight oats!

4. Andrea says

Friends (both the show and actual friends) and ice cream… I could do that every day too! And my husband and I adopted our first dog together last year. Neither of us had dogs growing up; not sure how we ever lived without our pup! <3

5. Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy says

If you’re not flexible, I highly suggest you do yoga! Seriously! Ice cream and yoga are a good combo :)

6. Amy @ Run with Perseverance says

I too am mad I didn’t study abroad. Everyone I know that did had such an amazing experience, and I feel like I missed out! That’s really the only thing in my life that I would go back and do over.

My answers to all of those questions would be almost the same as all of yours lol! But I am definitely happiest when I am doing something outdoorsy with my boyfriend and our dog. Our favorites are hiking and kayaking. :)

8. Veronica says

I’m happiest when… I am with my family … or when I’m teaching!

I was born the same day as… my twin sister :)

At 5, I was deeply in love with… a good family friend who I dressed up and “married”

I could probably eat PIZZA everyday

I make the best…desserts: Rice Krispie Treats, Blueberry Muffins, and Red Velvet Cupcakes to list a couple.

I’m happiest when…I have nothing to do but write and watch TV. Preferably with coffee.

I was born the same day as… Luke Wilson and Bill Murray

At 5, I was deeply in love with…Kermit the Frog. I’m mad about the Muppets. :-)

I could probably eat Mexican Food everyday

I make the best… Chocolate Souffle with Vanilla Anglaise. It’s easier than you’d think. Just takes patience.

10. Traci says

I’m happiest when… I’m laying outside in the sun, drinking iced coffee and reading a good book.

I was born the same day as…Had to look this one up, first lady Edith Roosevelt

At 5, I was deeply in love with…Minnie Mouse

I could probably eat _____ everyday. Boring, but eggs! And I do.

I make the best… “healthy” baked goods

I’m also not flexible at all. Growing up I was always the tall girl and I thought if I stretched that it would make me taller so I never did. Stupid me. Now I’m just tall and I suck at yoga.

We did take him with us once. He is an 80lb. German Shepherd, so I rented a double kayak and had him sit in the front. We looked pretty ridiculous lol but he did really well. He is a very calm dog though, and an excellent swimmer (with a lifejacket on just in case)so I wasn’t worried. I’m not sure how well less calm dogs would do. We went on a small pond on a very calm day, in case he didn’t like it. Sadie is definietly more hyper than our dog though haha She could run circles around our Torres!

I’m happiest when I’m on Kauai. Once a year just isn’t enough.

At 5, I was deeply in love with Rick Springfield.

I could probably eat long john donuts everyday. Thank goodness I don’t!

I make the best stuffed French toast.

14. Laurel says

I was born the same day as Courtney Love, Fred Savage, Tom Hanks, and OJ Simpson…honestly there are way more, but those are the most famous. July 9th was a popular day!

I love surveys like this! I could probably eat pizza & ice cream every day of my life. SO GOOD. Oh wait, and chipotle. yup, all 3 every single day would be amazing :)

16. Erika says

I was born on the same day as Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Donatella Versace, and David Beckham.

Like you, I could definitely eat ice cream everyday!

I’m happiest when I’m with my hubby and our 2 fur babies. Dogs are the best!

I can’t even handle #18. When I first read it I bawled my eyes out at work and had to go to the bathroom to collect myself! We have an almost 2 year old black lab and I can’t even fathom her not being around anymore!!

18. MelissaC says

Why….oh why…did I click the link to the doggie story. I sobbed in my office, ugly sobs. Dammit. I am so grateful to the clinic that helped us when we had to make that decision – they were angels to us because it was one of the worst things I have ever had to do.

I’m Happiest When I have a Great Run!
    I could eat Pizza every day.

I probably should not have read that blog post link since my dog died two weeks ago and looked just like the one in the post! I’ve always wanted to go scuba diving but I’m a little scared :) I could definitely eat ice cream every single day! I’m happiest at the beach, I was in love with princess Jasmine at age 5 because we have the same name and I make the best cupcakes :)

20. Morgan says

Well i just started balling. Wow what an amazing story about the dog, it always brings back memories to when I’ve lost my dogs. Why don’t they live forever?!

21. kate says

I’m happiest when…im outside with my boyfriend and our dog, usually found at the white water center! Or when I go home to Ohio to visit family and spoil my nephew!!

I was born the same day as… Friedrich Nietzsche and Emeril Lagasse! Best google search i’ve done all day!

22. Lauren says

I shouldn’t have looked at the link on #18, i cried like a baby at work! I put my 14 year old husky down a couple years ago and I still get upset thinking about it. They really are family.

I did not look at the link in #18 – I know better! My dog is 10 years old, and I want him to live forever!

I’m happiest when…I’m up in the north Georgia mountains and can go horseback riding :)

I was born the same day as…Mark Wahlberg (Marky Mark!)

At 5, I was deeply in love with…my kitten, Buttercup (he died at only a year old, and I was heartbroken)

I could probably eat chocolate everyday

I make the best…pumpkin chocolate chip cookies

I was born the same day as:

my cousin, my aunt, my dog, my high school lab partner, my current coworker, and Prince William! June 21 is a POPULAR birthday!

25. Kelly says

At age 5 I was deeply in love with Patrick Swayze. Not sure why I was allowed to watch Dirty Dancing at age 5, but it is still one of my favorite movies. “Nobody puts Baby in the corner!” Swoon :) Who wouldn’t love that!

I love these kinds of posts!! I’m definitely going to steal this for the next time I can’t think of anything to blog about. And p.s. that picture of Sadie in the water is the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.

I’m happiest when… My vizsla is snuggled up next to me. My little guy is sleeping in my arms or hiking with my fiance!

At 5, I was deeply in love with… Snoopy!

I could probably eat __ICE CREAM!___ everyday

I make the best…overnight oats!

Oh my gosh. I just read that article about Dukey that you linked too. Tears everywhere. And I 100% agree with you – along with cruelty to children, cruelty to animals is one of things that makes me feel so angry and devastated.

29. Cait says

Julie!!!!! I am soaked with tears from that dog post. I have 2 pups that I pray every night will live forever because I can’t even bare to think about them not.

Ah! Love this post!! To go along with your #3: When my husband and I moved up to Boston, one of the first things we did was a whale watching tour where we went out into ocean off of Cape Cod and just hung out on a boat watching the whales pop up for air and swim around us. It was AMAZING!!

I’m happiest when… I’m snuggled up with my cats and puppy, drinking a chai tea latte. Perfection.

I was born the same day as… Jonah Hill

At 5, I was deeply in love with… Care Bears and coloring books!

I could probably eat COOKIE DOUGH everyday!!!

I make the best… BBQ chicken pizzas

I was born the same day as Mariah Carey, Fergie, and Vicki from Real Housewives of OC.

At 5, I was deeply in love with dressing up and playing house.

I could probably eat mac & cheese everyday…and white cheddar popcorn. Addicting! I love cheese, apparently.

I saw this on Tina’s blog too. This is a fun one that I may have to repeat on my own blog. I definitely wish I lived closer to family (I’m in California and they’re in Florida), and I’m so glad I studied abroad. I make the best … invitations, stories and letters. I love to write!

Every time I read you post something about scuba diving I get the heebie jeebies. Why am I so afraid of dark water?! Ha. I could definitely eat popcorn every day. And drink coffee. Or… I already do. 😉

35. karleen says

I’m happiest when I get to sleep and relax with my fiance and we have nothing planned for the day!!

If you’re ever in So Cal, my brother is the captain of one of the whale watching boats that go out of Newport Beach, CA. I can get on so you can fulfill your dream of seeing whales and dolphins in the wild! Definitely a sight to see!

36. Nicole says

I’m happiest when…I’m baking – especially during the holidays

I was born the same day as John Lithgow and when Cornwallis surrendered to Washington, ending the Revolutionary War <————-nerd alert!

I could probably eat ICE CREAM everyday

I make the best… chocolate chip cookies.

37. livitant says

I didn’t know you were from Illinois! My boyfriend always says “midwest is best” haha even though Im a New York girl at heart…

Love this post! Kudos on the scuba love!
    I’m definitely happiest when lying on the beach with my boyfriend beside me and a cold glass of wine in my hand. Extra points for having a good book to read! Extra extra points if there’s a breeze!
    I could eat Mac n’ cheese every day for the rest of my life if I didn’t think it would kill me.

Too cute! What a fun idea, and I haven’t been following your blog very long so I feel like I just learned a lot.

I’m happiest when…I’m running. Pretty obvious, and maybe cliche, but so true.

I could eat…Macaroni and cheese…every day. But it has to be the kind with the fake squeeze Velveeta cheese. I know, I know, I should have said something way healthier, but I have been a Kraft lover for many years. This could also be the answer to the “When I was 5 I was in love with…” question.

Thanks for sharing!

40. Laura says

At 5, I was in love with… our veterinarian. No joke. I wrote him love letters. MORTIFIED when I started working at the clinic and he brought out all the letters (I assumed he had long forgotten/throw them away!)

This was really fun!! Goodness, I just love coming to your blog multiple times a day – you’re always my favorite read!

At 5, I was deeply in love with math and reading! I was probably the lamest 5 year old haha. I knew how to do both at an early age and loved it, I also enjoyed teaching it to my friends at school.

I could probably eat seasonal reeses everyday and that should also NOT have a probably in front of it. I’m obsessed.

#18 I am the same way. Those commercials on TV get me every time.

I’m happiest when I’m with my husband or traveling somewhere fun.
    At 5, I was deeply in love with Rainbow Brite and sliding down my stairs in a sleeping bag.
    I could probably eat avocados everyday
    I make the best froyo masterpiece when I visit the yogurt shop!

43. Heather says

I could eat mangos from Jamaica all day every day! I had no idea I liked them until we went… the ones here just aren’t the same. Until then the mighty mango naked juice works well!

THOSE pomegranate chews tho…SO GOOD!

I’m happiest when…I’m finishing up my first cup of coffee for the day 😉

I was born the same day as…L.Frank Baum, aka writer of the Wizard of Oz series, my fave!

At 5, I was deeply in love with…101 Dalmatians, owning a dog, and reading!

I could probably eat _bacon!____ everyday

I make the best…version of Howsweeteats chocolate pb cookies!

45. Emily says

Can I just say…I died reading that blog about Duke the dog. Let’s make a pact that both of our dogs will live forever. Deal? Great.

46. Kiki says

I’m happiest at the beach, later in the afternoon when the day is winding down and the beach gets quiet as people begin to leave…..with my husband and boys enjoying the peacefulness of the day.

I was born the same day as William Shakespeare.

I could eat chocolate everyday …..and usually do.

I make the bet guacamole!

I was born the same day as the moon landing, Gisele Bundchen, and my grandfather.

I’m not surprised people asked about your outfit; you’re one of the only people I have seen be able to pull off a cropped shirt. I keep seeing them in the stores and I am like “how do you wear that??” :)

48. Julie says

I could probably eat PIZZA everyday!

I make the best BANANA BREAD. Gotta credit livebetteramerica.com for the healthified recipe though!

I was born the same day as GEORGE ALEXANDER LOUIS (Duchess Kate and Prince Williams’ son). Or rather, he was born on my bday. 😉

Love these fun blog posts!

49. Briana says

Two more restaurants to try in Charlotte… Dish (in the plaza midwood area) and Cabo Fish Taco (in the NoDa area) both were featured on Man v. Food and are awesome all-around!

50. Pua says

I love surveys!

I’m happiest when… I’m in my hubby’s arms.

I was born the same day as… my boss. LOL

At 5, I was deeply in love with… He-Man!

I could probably eat sushi everyday… and I pretty much do!

I make the best… breakfast sandwiches. My guy (who is an amazing cook) always requests them.

I always love reading your blog so much! This was so much fun!

Let’s see.. I am happiest when.. I can dance, either in my favourite classes, when I go out with friends, or even randomly on the street when my favourite song comes on!
    I was born the same day as a very close friend of mine, but I am two years younger than her. Ohhh and I share my birthday with Ray Romano and Jane Fonda!
    I could probably eat Thai food every day, especially tofu curry with loads of broccoli and brown rice. Yumm!

Hmm, I wonder what I loved at 5. I am generally someone who warmly welcomes anyone and anything, and I doubt that was any different at 5.. I think I will go with my pony Pebbles. I loved her to bits!

And I make the best peanut tofu curry, mainly because I put almost an entire jar of peanut butter in there 😉

52. cnoella0282 says

Great post! I was born on the same day as Abraham Lincoln and so growing up I used to say I was tall because of that very reason, hahaha.

How fun!

I’m happiest when… playing with my daughter, and I’ve accomplished everything on my “to do” lists

I was born the same day as… Michelangelo & Moira Kelly

At 5, I was deeply in love with… CATS… oh, so many cats.

I could probably eat ___Mexican Food__ every day.

I make the best… attempts at baking/cooking… the results are rarely good, though. LOL. :)

I’m happiest when…I’m in the kitchen

I was born the same day as…Jada Pinkett Smith, Lance Armstrong, Gretta Garbo

At 5, I was deeply in love with…all things pink, baby dolls, barbies, Billy Ray Cyrus and Alan Jackson (my two boyfriends!)

I could probably eat SUSHI everyday

I make the best… chili (the secret is a can of baked beans and sausage)

55. Drea says

Hi Julie! I’ve read PBF for a long time and love your content! Quick question – when you started scuba diving, did you have claustrophobia underwater, and if yes, how did you get over it? Looking for some advice because my one attempt at scuba diving failed because of claustrophobic feelings. Appreciate any advice you can give!

• says

I really thought I would be claustrophobic, but I wasn’t at all. I was totally shocked!! I’m really comfortable in the water so I think that helped, but also learning in shallow water where you can easily come up for air helped me feel more comfortable and learn to breathe without feeling stressed or anxious. There are many courses that offer training in a pool. That might be a great way to get yourself acclimated!

56. Jill says

I’m happiest when…I’m with my family. Or engrossed in a good book.

I was born the same day as…JFK & Bob Hope

I could probably eat _steak____ everyday

I make the best…homemade chocolate chip cookies!

I’m happiest when… I’m with my husband

I was born the same day as… My mom!

At 5, I was deeply in love with… My horse.

I could probably eat BACON everyday

I make the best… Brownies.

58. Caryn says

Oh my gosh – I am EXACTLY the same with sad stories about dogs or dogs being mistreated. That blog post you linked to I BAWLED at a couple of weeks ago. I am glad someone else out there reacts the same way to these things!

I’m happiest when I am snuggling with my husband and our two cats on the couch.

I was born the same day as Tim Burton, Alexander Skarsgard, and Blake Lively.

At 5, I was deeply in love with Debbie Gibson and the Little Mermaid. I would pretend to be Ariel in my basement and sing my little heart out.

I could probably eat Chipotle everyday

I make the best chocolate chip cookies

I’m the happiest when I am with my dogs. All three of them are so wonderful and have completely different personalities. Nothing compares to the unconditional love a dog!

61. Debbie says

I’m happiest when its warm outside with a nice breeze and the shine is shining. I love summer and not having to wear a jacket.

I met my husband while we both were working at a New York style pizza place. We always laugh at this because we both are allergic to gluten and milk and could never eat there but it was the only job we could find at the time. Thank goodness we both took it.

I could probably eat bananas and peanut butter everyday. Hey…I already do :)

I make the best banana, date and nut butter smoothies.

Love your link the watch! What a fantastic find. Thank you for sharing.

62. Jessica says

I had no idea you were from Palatine, Illinois. Ive lived my whole life right next to Palatine in the Deer Park/Barrington area!!

63. Jamie B. says

That link- WOWZA. That should come with a warning.. .Now I’m crying at my desk! and holding my puppies a little closer tonight!! :)

Oh this is a fun one. I may have to do it for my blog as well.

I am happiest when I am left to my own devices

I was born the same day as Gwen Stefani

At 5 I was deeply in love with my stuffed animals

I could probably eat sushi everyday

I make the best Manocotti

I looooove those Brookside fruity chocolates! My husband keeps buying them and I…keep eating them… :/
    On a different note, I think it’s so cool that you always had a love for marine life! And that you actually scuba dived before. I already knew that, but that’s def. something I always wanted to try. I make the best choc chip cookies (which I’m sure half of us is good at, hehe), and I’m the happiest when I use up the opportunity to bless somebody–through words, prayer, food, materials, etc. :)

I’m happiest when…surrounded by love ones

I was born the same day as…Michelangelo (the artist, not the turtle)

At 5, I was deeply in love with…my classmate Ian…it didn’t work out

I could probably eat popcorn everyday

I make the best…mash potatoes

67. Emily Muhlberg says

I’m happiest…in those first 5 minutes after finishing a good run, when I feel like I could conquer the world! (or at least my neighborhood :))

I was born the same day as…my twin sister! haha, and St. Patrick (I think that’s what St. Patricks Day celebrates isn’t it?)

At 5, I was deeply in love with…a boy named Kyle who sat at my table at kindergarten and was the tallest guy in the class

I could probably (definitley) eat avocado, almond butter, fresh berries, & chocolate cake with buttercream icing everyday.

I make a mean…coconut oil roasted brussel sprouts (weird answer, I know, but I’ve converted my brussel-hating family with them!) I love love my avocado tuna salad- I add red wine vinegar, herbs de provénce, red onion & bell pepper- delish!

68. Sarah D says

I’m happiest when I am traveling and on an outdoor adventure. I could probably eat cupcakes every day if only they weren’t full of sugar and calories! anyway I love the outfit your wearing in the photo with the ice cream!

69. Megan says

Personally I think it’s really spectacular that I was born on the same day as James Franco. *swoon* Also, I’m obsessed with those pomegranate things! They are a little TOO addicting…

You guys should consider Ambergis Caye, Belize for diving. They have (I believe) the second largest coral reef in the world, and it’s a much shorter flight!

71. Rachelle says

I’m happiest when… I’m with my hubby, he’s awesome!

I was born the same day as… Rosanne Barr

At 5, I was deeply in love with… Barbie dolls

I could probably eat _____ everyday… Coffee & eggs, (I love breakfast)

I make the best… everything! I love to cook!

72. Ashley says

#22 is the exact same for me!!! you should have seen my room!! Dolphin comforter, dolphin flag on the wall dolphin figurines – EVERYWHERE!! I always wished I was Ariel. Thank you for that glimpse into your life!

Hi Julie! Long time, no talk. I am trying to get back into the world of blogging and catching up with my favorite blogs as well. Hence, why I’m commenting on a post that is 22 days old. I absolutely loved this concept and am using it for my post tomorrow! Sadie is still so freaking adorable and still my dream dog. One of my coworkers just got a vizsla and soon I’ll be teaching it how to run once it gets a bit older. I’ll probably be asking you questions about that later on! :)