I loved mashed potatoes. I really do. But I love smashed potatoes even more.
There’s something about the crispy edges of smashed potatoes that wins me over and tips the scale in their favor. And the fact that you don’t have to peel the potatoes when you make smashed potatoes seals the deal. The easier the better for this girl!
Making these potatoes is a breeze. There’s no chopping or peeling require. Just some smashing! Maybe save this recipe for an evening when you have some aggression you need to work out? Take it all out on these small spuds! Smash away!
To make these potatoes, boil a bunch of small potatoes until they are fork tender before draining the water and placing them on a baking sheet coated with a light layer of olive oil. Let them cool slightly before using a fork or the heel of your hand to smash them down. These aren’t fancy potatoes. Don’t worry if they break apart or crumble a bit. That just means the edges will be even crispier in the end. <— A very good thing!
Once the potatoes are all smashed, brush olive oil on top of each potato.
Then season away!
You truly don’t have to measure the seasonings and can eyeball a combination of your favorite spices. I used a mix of salt, pepper and Italian seasoning but I have made them with garlic salt, thyme and rosemary before with fabulous results.
Easy Smashed Potatoes
- 1.5 pounds small multi-colored potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and boil until fork-tender, approximately 10 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly coat a baking sheet with olive oil. Place potatoes on baking sheet and lightly smash with a fork, the heel of your hand or a potato masher. Brush the potatoes with remaining olive oil, season with seasonings, salt and pepper.
- Roast for 25-35 minutes, rotating halfway through, until white potatoes are golden brown and edges are crisp.