The other night Ryan and I were talking about the meals we used to make when we lived on our own for the first time… You know, aside from frozen pizzas, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, Lean Pockets (I loved those things!) and boxed macaroni and cheese. We chatted about the meals we made when we actually decided to try a little bit in the kitchen for the first time.
Ryan instantly thought of red beans and rice with chicken. He’d prepare one of those big bags of red beans and rice, cook up a pound of chicken and dig in! I was all about quesadillas with black beans, onions and chicken. Heck yes!
Another meal I began making regularly is one I still make all the time. Chicken sausage with peppers and onions! I love this dish because I can throw everything into a baking dish and let it do its thing and have dinner ready in no time at all. (We typically then put the chicken sausage on a whole wheat hot dog roll with the peppers, onions and our favorite condiments. Easy and tasty!)
The recipe I’m sharing with you guys today is inspired by my old school favorite but revamped a bit so it’s more filling. My beloved chicken sausage is still center stage in this dish, but it’s paired with sweet potatoes, thinly sliced apples and red onions for a sweet and savory dinner that’s easy to make and very satisfying.
With the exception of a giving the chicken sausage and veggie/apple mix a quick flip halfway through cooking, it’s a set-it-and-forget-it meal you can let do its thang in the oven while you prep breakfast for the next day, straighten up around the kitchen or check something small off your to-do list. There’s no hovering over a pan on the stovetop with this recipe!
Chicken Sausage Sweet Potato Bake
- 1 pound apple chicken sausage (about 5 links)
- 2 medium apples, sliced thin
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, sliced into chunks
- 1 red onion, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons rosemary
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray.
- Layer sweet potatoes, apples and onions in the dish. Drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle with rosemary, sage, thyme, salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Place chicken sausage links on top of the vegetables. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and season with additional salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven for approximately 50-60 minutes (flipping the chicken sausage and tossing the veggies and apple slices once half-way through cooking), or until chicken sausage is cooked through and sweet potatoes are soft.
Per serving: Calories: 367 / Fat: 16g / Sodium: 710g / Carbs: 39g / Fiber 5g / Sugar: 23g / Protein: 19g
You may use any kind of chicken sausage in this recipe, though I find apple chicken sausage brings out the sweetness of the sliced apples in this dish and seems to taste the best. (I love al fresco apple chicken sausage in this dish.)
Pre-cooked chicken sausage may also be used in this recipe, but I recommend adding the chicken sausage on top of the veggies and apples about halfway through cooking to prevent the chicken sausage from over-cooking and the casing becoming too chewy.
White or yellow potatoes or butternut squash may also be used in place of the sweet potatoes and sliced peaches taste great in place of the apples as well.
Question of the Day
What is one of your old school “signature dishes” you remember making all the time when you first lived on your own?