Yesterday afternoon I made enough holiday puppy chow to feed a small army. Okay, so I made enough to package up into small gift bags for 30 people, but it felt like I made enough for the entire state of North Carolina and then some.
I was swimming in white chocolate chips, crispy Chex cereal, M&Ms, Christmas tree-shaped yogurt pretzels and the most deliciously addicting Biscoff spread.
When this snack mix ended up becoming my lunch yesterday (Oops!), I figured that meant it was a good enough recipe to share with you guys on the blog today. Plus, a bunch of you requested it after seeing it on Snapchat, so ask and you shall receive, my friends!
If you have a large group of people you want to spread a little joy to this holiday season, this recipe is a great option since it makes a ton of treats in a short amount of time. No slicing, dicing or baking required!
Traditional puppy chow (also called “Muddy Buddies”) is made with semisweet chocolate chips and peanut butter but I switched things up a bit and swapped in white chocolate chips and Biscoff spread for a more snow-dusted snack mix appearance. Once I stirred in red and green M&Ms and Christmas tree yogurt pretzels (found at The Fresh Market), the snack mix was transformed into a festive looking treat worthy of (edible) holiday gifting!
And if you don’t want to make enough puppy chow to feed a million people, this recipe can easily be cut in half for the perfect amount of puppy chow for a holiday party.
Large Batch Holiday Puppy Chow
Recipe adapted from Chex Muddy Buddies
- 18 cups Chex cereal (I used a combination of Rice Chex and Corn Chex)
- 1 cup Biscoff spread
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 3/4 cups white chocolate chips
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 cups red and green M&Ms
- 4 heaping cups white chocolate or yogurt-covered pretzels
- Measure the cereal into a very large bowl and set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine Biscoff, butter and 2 cups of white chocolate chips (reserve 3/4 cup). Microwave on high for one minute. Stir and microwave again for 30 seconds and stir until mixture can be stirred smooth. (An additional 20 seconds in the microwave may help the white chocolate chips melt a little better!)
- Pour white chocolate mixture over the cereal and stir until evenly coated. Pour into two separate 2-gallon resealable Ziploc bags.
- Immediately divide powdered sugar among the two bags and seal tightly. Shake until powdered sugar coats the cereal well.
- Pour puppy chow into another very large bowl. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and enjoy!
Enjoy! And Happy, Happy Holidays, my friends!