And then I saw the crazy price of pine nuts and a new, more affordable plan emerged.
Sunflower seed pesto!
Sunflower seeds are nice and cheap! I remembered the fantastic walnut pesto that my friend Michaela used on the pizza she made for us when I visited her in Colorado and figured that I could combine sunflower seeds with walnuts and achieve a yummy, less expensive version of pesto.
I know that traditional pesto incorporates parmesan cheese, but we didn’t have any on hand, so if you’re dairy-free this is a pesto sauce you may enjoy as well!
Ryan and I spread the pesto sauce on top of baked cod for dinner this evening and were both blown away. So much flavor!
Sunflower Seed and Walnut Pesto
- 1/4 cup roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Place all of the ingredients into a food processor and pulse until completely combined
- Enjoy with pasta, fish, chicken or as a spread in sandwiches
If you decide to give this pesto a try, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did this evening!