Why Rosehip Seed Oil Is My New Natural Beauty Rockstar

Over the course of the past few months, I’ve fallen deeply in love with rosehip seed oil. My sister first introduced me to rosehip seed oil when I was pregnant and looking to swap some of my previous beauty favorites for more natural products.

One of her girlfriends swore by it as the “best makeup remover ever,” but after a little bit of research, I realized rosehip seed oil is praised by many for a myriad of reasons, namely its ability to reduce fine lines and wrinkles, correct dark spots and hydrate the skin in a natural way.

Rosehip Seed Oil - Why this stuff is AMAZING for your skin

Ever since I started professing my love for this inexpensive yet completely wonderful addition to my beauty regimen, I’ve received a bunch of questions from you guys ranging from how exactly I use it and what it is to whether or not it makes me break out (<— nope!) and more. “Rosehip oil” is also the most popular search term on the blog right now, so I figured a post dedicated to rosehip seed oil might be of interest. Let’s dive right in, shall we?

What Is Rosehip Seed  Oil?

Rosehip seed oil is harvested from the seeds of rosehip bushes, predominately grown in Chile. It is full of vitamins (especially vitamin E and vitamin A), antioxidants and essential fatty acids (linoleic and linolenic acids), all of which are known rockstars in the skincare industry.

How Does It Work?

Rosehip seed oil is full of rejuvenating properties like vitamin C and lycopene and safely repairs the skin’s surface, restoring elasticity and protecting against stressors that may lead to wrinkles. It contains natural trans-retinoic acid (a derivative of vitamin A), which is commonly used in anti-aging products and praised for its ability to increase skin cell regeneration, reduce the appearance of scars and dark spots and fight acne.

Rosehip Seed Oil Benefits

Rosehip seed oil is also known for its moisturizing capabilities thanks to the high essential fatty acid content in the oil which quickly penetrates the skin without leaving it greasy for extended periods of time. It is considered gentle enough for daily use and can be blended with lotion, other oils (like coconut or grape seed oil) and moisturizers.

How Do I Use Rosehip Seed Oil?

First and foremost, I use it as a moisturizer. I’ve said goodbye to facial lotion for the most part and almost exclusively use rosehip seed oil. (One of my girlfriends still loves her daily moisturizer but adds a few drops of rosehip seed oil to it for its benefits and loves using it this way.) I apply it all over my face right when I wake up in the morning, after my post-workout shower and then after I wash my face at night. (Yup, three times a day!)

Rosehip Oil

I also use it as eye makeup remover. After I wash my face, some mascara or eyeliner inevitably remains on my eyes, so I wipe this stuff around my eyelids and under my eyes to get rid of any remaining black streaks.

Rosehip seed oil also works well as body oil! Though I typically reserve it for use on my face, I’ll also occasionally rub it into dry knuckles and elbows (especially during the winter months). I’ll also rub it into my hands, lips and knees if they’re feeling particularly dry.

What Changes Have I Seen Since Using It?

I began using rosehip seed oil last summer but started really using it as a pivotal part of my skincare routine beginning this past fall. Since then, I’ve seen a marked improvement in the dark spots on my skin which, for me, is HUGE. I’ve splurged on dark spot removing creams and serums and rosehip seed oil is the ONLY thing that has made a difference in reducing dark spots on my face. WOOP!

I’ve also seen an improvement in skin clarity and can honestly say the oil has in no way caused breakouts for me, which was probably my biggest concern when it came to rubbing oil all over my face. Within the past month, Ryan began using it in place of his facial moisturizer and was really concerned about breakouts caused by the oil. He hasn’t had any occur either and said he’ll definitely continue using it and loves the way it hydrates his face and sinks into his skin within minutes.

And I know this is a little weird, but I feel like it gives my skin a little “glow” when I apply it. This could be all in my head, but I love the dewy look the oil gives my skin. If I’m going to apply makeup after applying the oil, I usually rub it into my skin (I just use my fingers to apply it) and wait a few minutes for it to absorb before applying primer, etc.

Where Do I Find It?

I always purchase it on Amazon because it’s cheap and I use Amazon Prime for everrrrything. I’ve purchased both Majestic Cosmeceuticals and Lifeflo brands of rosehip oil from Amazon and love both. (I’m currently using the 4-ounce version of Majestic Cosmeseuticals 110% Pure and Natural Rosehip Oil. It has nearly 2,700 fantastic reviews on Amazon!)

Many expensive beauty products contain rosehip seed oil, but I find that purchasing pure rosehip oil is the most affordable way to go. You may also find rosehip seed oil (or other beauty products containing rosehip seed oil) at Ulta, Sephora and even Whole Foods.

For Additional Information

If you’re looking to learn more about rosehip seed oil, here are some additional resources you might want to check out that I found particularly interesting:

Question of the Day

• What are some natural beauty products/remedies you swear by? Please share some of your favorites! I’m always on the lookout for new natural beauty finds!

Comments

This sounds awesome – similar uses to how I currently use Moroccan argan oil (moisturizer) and baby oil (makeup remover.) I love the idea of adding a couple of drops to traditional lotion, too!

I’ll have to check it out. Thanks for the tips!

2. Anne says

I also use organic argan oil for the night, it’s magical! And yes, oils are great, but we have to use a fps during the day, sun is the #1 ennemy for wrinkles and dark spots…

3. Steph says

Ooh I may have to try this! I’ve been using Origins Oil-Free Plantscription Anti-Aging Cream and love it but hate the price tag.

If you’re looking for all-natural cosmetics, give Pure Good Skin Food a try — I am in love with their vegan lipsticks and have heard good things about their skin care line! http://puregoodskinfood.com/ (@puregoodskinfood on Instagram)

4. Jen K says

Hi Julie,
    I’ve been using this oil since you mentioned it awhile back. I use it mostly at night (just a drop or two)….but I’m noticing the oil leaves orange stains on my pillow case. Do you notice and stains on your clothing, etc?

Thanks!

I used to use rosehip oil as a moisturizer after Brittany got me hooked! I don’t use it anymore due to a skin regimen from an esthetician, BUT I agree it was great for hydration. My pillow cases, not so much! It permanently stained my ivory pillow cases. 🙁

6. Lisa says

I love using argan oil on my face and when you previously mentioned rosehip oil I went and bought a bottle. I noticed it has a slight odor and is orangy in color. Is this just the brand I bought or do you notice this as well. I just want to make sure mine is not rancid.

7. Mandy says

Hey Julie! Love your blog. I also love rosehip seed oil, but I was told to only use it as a night moisturizer because of the high amounts of vitamin a naturally found in the oil. Vitamin A is the natures version of retinol, which is effective because it makes skin cells die rapidly, making way for new cell growth underneath. This makes you extremely susceptible to sun damage when vitamin a/retinol is on your face. My dermatologist recommended jojoba oil as a morning moisturizer in lieu of rosehip seed oil. Jojoba oil also has TONS of benefits (google them!!!!) too! Just an FYI, as (i’m sure you know) sun damage causes wrinkles and dark spots which is why we use rosehip oil in the first place! 🙂

• v barham says

I’m glad I read your comment. I may try the oil but will ONLY use at night. Recent info about the dangers of retinol have me paying attention to how using these products might increase my chances for skin cancer. If I have to choose, I choose wrinkles over skin cancer 🙁

This is info from EWG:
      Data from an FDA study indicate that retinoid ingredients may speed the development of skin tumors and lesions on sun-exposed skin.

8. MaryEllen says

I purchased the Lifeflo one when you mentioned it a while back. I LOVED how it moisturized my face! I used it every morning and night and felt amazing… until a few weeks later I noticed I had awful clogged pores! I never had an issue in my life. I went to get a facial to help and the esthetician said that not all rosehip seed oil is meant for your face. So I ended up buying a more expensive one from Sephora that is meant for your face and it has been amazing. Everyone’s skin is different, so beware that this oil may be too strong for some!

9. Samantha says

I love using Rose Hip Oil as well and just like you have noticed a difference in my skin! I also use a great product from a company called Living Libations and I use the Seabuckthorn Oil, both as a moisturizer and makeup remover. Oils have literally changed my face game and I’m so happy I have it a try!
    Here is the link to their website should you be interested in checking them out 🙂

10. Annie says

So informative, thank you! I’m also trying to go more natural with my beauty routine so I’ll have to try this next. It’s so so so dry here in freezing Chicago in the winter that I’ve been using straight-up coconut oil as body lotion and eye make-up remover and sometimes a cleanser. Loving it!

11. Shannon says

I ordered some after reading your reviews and I’m so sad that it made my face break out, especially on the cheeks. I use an oil-cleansing method with Fat Face products, so I was surprised that I had a reaction. As soon as I stopped using it, my skin went back to normal. I’m glad you found something that worked for you. I’m wondering if I’m the only one who has had a reaction?

• Emma says

I would check to make sure yours is 100% rose hip seed oil. I bought a brand off Amazon that said “pure rose hip seed oil” and gave no indication that there was anything else in it and then it came and it ended up being mixed with another carrier oil. I don’t know if it was the lower quality or the other oil, but I had to stop using it because it was clogging my pores and making me breakout. I got a new high quality 100% RHSO and it’s been baby butt smooth sailing ever since.

12. Liz says

Did you say you used this while pregnant? I am in my third trimester and would like to try it, but have been careful about using new products during pregnancy.

• says

I’ve wondered about this too, because I know doctors advise against using any prescription retinoids during pregnancy. But I imagine this is wayyy milder, so…??

13. Kim from MN says

Wow, as someone who was NOT aware of the rosehip oil trend, I’m happy you brought it to my attention! And I’m happy that it’s safe for people prone to breakouts, too, because I’m going to give this a try! And yay that I can get it scent-free! Thanks!

14. Kelly Nemitz says

I started using this about a month ago because you kept mentioning it. I’m obsessed!!! My fiancé has even commented on my skin’s improvement. I was scared to put oil on my face at first but love the way my skin feels after it soaks in a bit. Thanks for introducing this magic to us!

15. Susie says

Do you refrigerate your oil? Thanks so much for this post- I have been wanting to try rosehip oil but always have trouble looking up reputable sources for health and beauty info. 🙂