A couple of weeks ago I shared a few pictures of a peanut butter-packed breakfast on Snapchat. It was a photo of a big ol’ tasty slice of peanut butter crunch baked steel cut oatmeal topped with creamy peanut butter and a bunch of you requested the recipe. Since I couldn’t get enough of the peanut buttery breakfast, I knew I needed to make it again and measure everything out so I could share it on the blog.
Like nearly every recipe I share on Peanut Butter Fingers, this recipe is an easy one! This baked steel cut oatmeal is perfect for whipping up after dinner and baking the night before you want a quick and filling breakfast. It can also be made on a lazy Sunday morning when you have a little more time to sit around, sip on a cup of coffee and enjoy the smell of a slightly sweet and hearty oatmeal breakfast baking away in your oven.
The ingredients include a handful of pantry staples – steel cut oats, peanut butter, cinnamon, maple syrup – all personal favorites that come together to make a breakfast (or morning snack!) I am always in the mood to eat.
The base of this recipe is McCann’s Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal, a deliciously nutty-tasting oatmeal that is minimally processed with no artificial ingredients. It’s oats at their finest (100 percent whole grain!) and the chewy texture can’t be beat, especially when paired with creamy peanut butter and crunchy roasted peanuts.
McCann’s Irish Oatmeal also recently earned its first Non-GMO Certification from the Non-GMO Project for three of its core products — Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal in the 28oz. Tin, Quick & Easy Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal in the 24 oz. Canister and Quick Cooking Rolled Oats in the 16 oz. Box. Woop!
Also, it’s worth noting for anyone out there who might not be a peanut butter fan that I have also made this recipe with almond butter and roasted almonds before and it was still quite tasty! I would imagine you can swap the nuts and nut butter in this recipe for your preferred nut of choice (or a combination of a few!) and the recipe would still yield a wonderful baked oatmeal breakfast! I might just add a little more cinnamon because I think the peanut butter gave the oatmeal a little stronger flavor than the almond butter, so keep that in mind.
Now for the recipe!!!
Peanut Butter Crunch Baked Steel Cut Oatmeal
Makes four servings
- 1 1/4 cup McCann’s Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup unsalted roasted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (melted)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine steel cut oatmeal, peanut butter, peanuts, coconut oil, cinnamon, egg, maple syrup and salt. Stir to combine, taking care to incorporate the thick peanut butter so no large clumps remain.
- Add almond milk and stir. (The mixture will be quite liquidy, so do not be alarmed!) Pour mixture into a greased 8×8 baking dish.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until oatmeal is set and the center is fully cooked. Allow to cool before slicing.
- Top with additional nut butter, fresh fruit or Greek yogurt and enjoy!
- Store any leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
Feel free to top your baked oatmeal with a big scoop of creamy peanut butter, banana slices, Greek yogurt or fresh berries.