Three ingredients + a slow cooker = Sweet and buttery caramelized onions without any time spent hovering over the stove
- 3 pounds Wellsley Farms organic yellow onions
- 3 tablespoons Wellsley Farms organic butter
- Wellsley Farms pink Himalayan salt, to taste (optional)
- Turn slow cooker on low.
- Peel and slice onions.
- Slice butter into thin pieces and rub the bottom of the slow cooker with a bit of the butter (it should begin to slightly melt) so the bottom of the slow cooker is coated in a thin layer of butter.
- Place the sliced onion on top of the butter and cover for 10-14 hours. If you are awake/around, feel free to periodically stir the onions, though this is not necessary. (Note: The time you decide the onions are done from 10-14 hours is really up to YOU, depending on how you like your onions. At the 10 hour mark, the onions will still have a slight bite to them and won’t be mushy. The longer they cook, the softer they become.)
- Using a slotted spoon or tongs, remove onions from the slow cooker and discard (or save!) any remaining juice. (The leftover onion juice makes a fantastic addition to soups. I never toss mine!) Enjoy the onions on top of burgers, hot dogs, chicken, steak, etc. Store any remaining onions in an airtight container in the refrigerator or in the freezer for future use.