This recipe for Butternut Squash and White Bean Stew is a hearty, vegetable-packed stew, perfect for a chilly winter dinner. Made with sweet roasted butternut squash, warm curry spices and bright marinated Brussels sprouts it’s a delicious dish that will have you coming back for more.
- 1 1/2 cup cannellini beans
- 1 butternut squash
- 4 ounces Brussels sprouts
- 2 carrots
- 1 lemon
- 1 bunch parsley
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 shallot
- 1 teaspoon madras curry powder
- 1/4 cup roasted walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 475°F.
- Wash and dry the fresh produce.
- Using a knife, peel the squash.
- Separate the neck and bulb; halve the bulb, then scoop out and discard the pulp and seeds. Cut into ½-inch-thick pieces.
- Cut off and discard the Brussels sprout stems. Pick off and reserve the leaves; discard the cores.
- Using a peeler, remove the lemon rind, avoiding the pith; mince to get 2 teaspoons of zest (or use a zester). Quarter and deseed the lemon.
- Pick the parsley off the stems; discard the stems, then finely chop.
- Peel and mince the garlic; smash with the side of your knife until it resembles a paste (or use a zester).
- Peel and mince the shallot.
- Peel and small dice the carrots.
- Drain and rinse the beans.
- Roughly chop the walnuts.
- Roast the squash: Place the squash on a sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper; toss to thoroughly coat. Arrange in a single, even layer and roast, flipping halfway through, 20 to 22 minutes, or until browned and tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from the oven.
- Marinate the Brussels sprouts: In a bowl, combine the Brussels sprouts and the juice of 1 lemon wedge. Drizzle with olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Set aside to marinate, stirring occasionally, for at least 10 minutes.
- Make the gremolata: In a bowl, combine the parsley, lemon zest, the juice of 1 lemon wedge and up to ¼ of the garlic paste. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stew the beans: In a large pan (nonstick, if you have one), heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium until hot. Add the shallot and remaining garlic paste. Cook, stirring frequently, 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add the carrots; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes, or until softened. Add the curry powder;cook, stirring frequently, 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add the beans and ¾ cup of water; cook, stirring occasionally, 4 to 5 minutes, or until slightly reduced. Turn off the heat. Mash some of the beans against the bottom of the pan.
- Finish & plate your dish: Add the juice of the remaining lemon wedges and half the gremolata to the pan. Stir to thoroughly combine and season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide between 2 dishes.
- Season the marinated Brussels sprouts with salt and pepper to taste. Top the finished beans with the roasted squash and seasoned Brussels sprouts.
- Garnish with the remaining gremolata and walnuts. Enjoy!