Guess what? Today is my birthday! I’d love to celebrate with all of you and since celebrating with internet friends is kind of tricky, I was thinking we could celebrate together in an extra sweet way with some Birthday Butterscotch Bars! Sound good? I sure hope so!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup creamy almond butter or peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1/4 cup sprinkles + additional sprinkles for topping
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Combine sugar and corn syrup in a large pot and heat to a boil. Quickly remove from heat and stir in almond butter or peanut butter until melted. Add vanilla and stir again.
- Stir in Rice Chex and continue to stir until cereal is coated. Stir in sprinkles. Spread into a 9×13 pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine white chocolate chips and butterscotch chips and microwave for approximately 90 seconds, pausing every 30 seconds to stir until chips are melted. Spread on top of bars and top with additional sprinkles.
- Refrigerate bars until topping hardens and cool completely.
- Slice and enjoy!
You can use peanut butter or almond butter (or a combination of the two) in this recipe. I recommend using the natural version of either (with no sugar added) for a greater depth of flavor and a nuttier taste.
Though I photographed these bars in large squares, I enjoy them most sliced into small, almost bite-size pieces (similar to how you might slice fudge). The bars are quite sweet and the melt-in-your-mouth butterscotch topping is pretty rich, so serving the bars in smaller squares (even if you end up eating a million like I always do) seems to go over well when serving them to a large group.
Keywords: DESSERT, DESSERTS/SWEET TREATS, MAKE AHEAD RECIPES, NO BAKE RECIPES, RECIPES