If you are craving for a hearty breakfast casserole, look no further because this Kale and Sausage Breakfast Casserole is not only filling, but still healthy, and simple to make.
- 1 1/2 cups diced bell peppers
- 1/2 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 pound lean turkey sausage
- 6 cups fresh chopped kale
- 5 – 6 slices whole wheat bread, torn into pieces
- 4 eggs
- 5 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3/4 cup almond milk (regular milk will also work)
- 3/4 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Drizzle a large skillet with olive oil and sauté bell peppers and onion over medium heat until soft. Add turkey sausage and cook until brown. Add kale and toss until wilted. Add bread pieces and stir. Set pan aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, egg whites, mustard, rosemary, pepper, salt and almond milk. Whisk together.
- Pour egg mixture over kale and sausage mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour into a 9×9 casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray, cover with foil and bake in the oven for 40 – 45 minutes.
- Uncover, sprinkle with cheese and cook for an additional 20 minutes, until cheese melts and casserole is set.
Keywords: breakfast, breakfast casserole, breakfast recipe, kale, recipe, Recipes, turkey sausage