So easy but SO delicious! The perfect oatmeal apple crisp to make for a holiday treat or a cozy night at home. Fantastic on top of vanilla ice cream.
- 4–5 medium-size apples, sliced thin (you may remove the peel or leave it on, though I prefer to leave it on because it’s easier!)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray or lightly coat with butter.
- Combine butter, flour, oats, sugars and salt in a large bowl using a fork to mash the butter. Continue to combine ingredients until you have a crumbly mixture. (You may want to use your hands to make sure everything is adequately mixed.)
- Pour 1/3 of the crumb mixture in the bottom of the baking dish. Top with apples. Sprinkle cinnamon on top of the apples and toss to coat.
- Top with the additional 2/3 of the crumb mixture and bake for 40-45 minutes. Allow apple crisp to rest for 5 minutes before digging in. Enjoy alone or on top of vanilla ice cream (my preferred way)!
If you would like to add chopped nuts to this recipe I prefer adding them with the apples rather than the crumb mixture since the crumb mixture already has a lot of texture. This recipe is wonderful with 1/2 cup chopped pecans added to the apples before tossing the apples with cinnamon (step 3 above).
You may use all brown sugar or all white sugar in this recipe. Both work well but I love a mix!
Keywords: oatmeal apple crisp, apple crisp, apple oatmeal crisp