Sweet, cold and creamy, this Oreo Peppermint Ice Cream Dessert is a family favorite made with crushed Oreo cookies and peppermint ice cream.
- 1 half-gallon peppermint ice cream
- 1 14.3-ounce package Oreos
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Optional toppings: Whipped cream, additional crushed Oreos, crushed candy canes
- Remove peppermint ice cream from the freezer and allow it to soften slightly. (Note: Do not forget about the ice cream and let it melt. You simply want it soft enough for you to scoop out so you can use a spatula to spread it across a cookie crumb crust. If it melts too much you risk the dreaded freezer burn!)
- While your ice cream is softening, place Oreo cookies into a zip-top freezer bag and crush. Remove approximately 1/4 of the crushed cookies and reserve in a small bowl. Crush the remaining cookies further, as these cookie crumbs will be forming your cookie crust and huge chunks make it a little more challenging for the crust to stay together.
- Pour the remaining 3/4 crushed Oreos into a bowl and mix with the melted butter. Spread evenly on the bottom of an 8×8 pan, forming a cookie crust.
- Spread the softened peppermint ice cream on top of the cookie crust and top with remaining crushed Oreos. (You may have a little bit of ice cream leftover, depending on how high you want your dessert to be in your pan.)
- Cover and place dessert into the freezer and freeze until solid. It’s best to give the dessert plenty of time to re-freeze so both the crust and ice cream can harden. Prepping this dessert the day before or the morning of the day you wish to eat it for dessert is best!
- Top with whipped cream, additional crushed Oreos or crushed candy canes and enjoy!
Keywords: holiday recipes, Oreo ice cream dessert, peppermint Oreo ice cream dessert