This Peppermint Cookies ‘n’ Cream Ice Cream is a cold and creamy holiday delight packed with crunchy cookie pieces.
- 2 cups PET heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup PET whole milk
- 4 ounces very finely crushed peppermint candies or candy canes (approximately 22 crushed Starlight Mints) + additional 1/4 cup finely chopped peppermints (for garnish, if desired)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 dozen chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed
- Combine heavy whipping cream, whole milk, 4 ounces crushed peppermint candies (see note below!), sugar, vanilla and peppermint extract in a large mixing bowl and whisk together vigorously until everything is combined and sugar is no longer grainy in the mix. (Letting it sit for 30 minutes in the refrigerator and then whisking it again — or blending in a high-powdered blender — helps the sugar dissolve well.)
- Pour into ice cream maker and churn for approximately 30 minutes, or until ice cream begins to thicken and become very creamy.
- Pour crushed cookies into the ice cream and allow to churn for an additional 5 minutes.
- Using a spatula, transfer the mixture into a baking dish (I used a typical loaf pan) and cover. Freeze for at least 8 hours or, ideally, overnight.
- Remove from the freezer and scoop into bowls. Garnish with additional cookies and crushed peppermint (if desired) and enjoy!
If your peppermint candies do not dissolve into the creamy mixture and begin to clump together, you may need to transfer the mixture into a high-powered blender to make sure no clumps remain.