This Peppermint Icebox Cake combines two of the best flavors of the holiday season – peppermint and chocolate! A simple recipe made with homemade peppermint whipped cream and everyone’s favorite chocolate sandwich cookies, it’s a dessert that’s festive, fun and irresistibly creamy.
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup finely crushed peppermint candies or candy canes
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Approximately 45 chocolate sandwich cookies (amount may vary slightly)
- Pour heavy whipping cream into a chilled bowl and whip the cream on low, gradually adding powdered sugar until mixture begins to thicken. Take care not to over-whip or the whipped cream will become dense and lumpy. Fold in the crushed peppermint candies.
- Spread a layer of the peppermint candy whipped cream on the bottom of an 8×8 baking dish.
- Place 1/3 of the chocolate sandwich cookies on top of the layer of whipped cream. You may need to break a few cookies to get them to fit into your dish which is completely fine. Spread another layer of whipped cream on top of the cookies and repeat the layers until you have three layers, ending with whipped cream on top.
- Cover icebox cake and refrigerate overnight.
- Prior to serving, top with additional crushed cookies and peppermint candy pieces if desired. Enjoy!
If you prefer your cookies extra soft, dip each one in milk before placing on top of the whipped cream to soften them up a bit. As written, the cookies in this recipe still maintain a bit of a crunch which I love but if you prefer a softer cookie, definitely do the milk dunk!