A combination of cooked pearled barley, egg whites, garlic and cheese ended up serving as my crust and I loved the dense, chewy texture.
- 1 cup cooked pearled barley
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat shredded cheese
- 6 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 small garlic clove, diced
- 1 (14-ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 3/4 cup almond milk (regular milk will also work)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup chopped broccoli florets
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine barley, 1/4 cup cheese, 2 egg whites, garlic salt and garlic. Stir together and pour into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Arrange artichoke quarters on bottom of barley crust and sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Combine remaining four egg whites, milk, onion, mustard broccoli, salt and pepper and pour over cheese.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until set. Let cool for 5 minutes and cut into six wedges.
Keywords: DINNER, RECIPES