This frittata is packed with flavor and vegetables and, when served with freshly sliced avocado and a side of healthy breakfast sweet potatoes, keeps me full for hours. And for those of you who may be gluten-free or following a Paleo or Whole30 diet, this recipe falls under that umbrella, too!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 2 large chicken sausage links, chopped (I love Aidell’s apple chicken sausage, but use your favorite kind!)
- 2 large heaping handfuls fresh spinach (about 4 cups)
- 3 eggs
- 4 egg whites (I used 3/4 cup egg whites from a carton)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Set oven to broil on high.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large, oven-safe skillet. Sautee onion and green pepper until softened (about 3-5 minutes).
- As onion and pepper cook, combine eggs, egg whites, salt and pepper in a medium bowl, stirring to combine.
- Add the chicken to peppers and onion and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 1 minute.
- Add eggs to skillet and lightly stir. Allow eggs to set (do not stir!) until sides are firm and middle still appears slightly wet, about 4 – 5 minutes.
- Transfer pan to the oven and broil for 3 – 5 minutes, until top of frittata begins to brown slightly.
- Slice and serve.
Keywords: chicken sausage spinach frittata, frittata, paleo frittata, paleo sausage frittata, sausage frittata, spinach frittata, whole30 frittata, whole30 sausage frittata