Made with egg whites, ground flaxseed and almond milk, this recipe for oatless oatmeal is a nutritious and tasty alternative to traditional oatmeal for those who may be gluten-free, Paleo or simply looking for a satisfying high-protein breakfast.
- 3/4 cup egg whites (I use egg whites from a carton)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1/2 large (very ripe) banana, mashed
- 1/2 zucchini, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine mashed banana and zucchini in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine egg whites and almond milk in a small saucepan and stir with a spatula over medium heat. Add flaxseed and continue stirring until mixture begins to slightly thicken. Make sure to use the spatula to continually scrape the sides of the saucepan so mixture doesn’t adhere to the pan.
- Add banana-zucchini mixture and stir constantly as oatless oatmeal begins to thicken. (Do not walk away!) Add cinnamon, reduce heat and continue to stir until oatless oatmeal reaches desired level of thickness.
- Top with desired toppings (berries, nuts, nut butter, unsweetened coconut) and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Joelle’s Paleo Oatmeal
Keywords: cream of wheat, oatless oatmeal, Paleo, paleo cream of wheat, paleo oatmeal, whole30 oatmeal, zucchini oatmeal