Tackling Turnips

(Side note: I love alliteration and I apologize that so many of my post titles reflect my abnormal love for it since I know it’s totally cheesy! :)

Tonight I tackled turnips!

I purchased a bunch of turnips at the grocery store at the beginning of the week and put off making them until tonight because I was highly intimidated! What does a turnip even taste like!?

I read about different preparation techniques and decided I’d try roasting them since I typically like any veggie roasted.

Since the weather was once again beyond gorgeous, I took the opportunity to peel and chop the turnips in the backyard while psycho dog ran around with her various stuffed pig toys.

Hiii!

Got the Pig!

I always knew Sadie was a veggie lover (broccoli is her favorite), but she shocked me once again by loving the turnip peels! She couldn’t get enough!

Before long, I had a big Tupperware container full of turnip “fries.”

*Note the Turnip Mooch at the Bottom Right*

I then tossed the turnip fries in olive oil, salt, pepper and chili powder and cooked them in the oven at 415 degrees for 20 minutes before flipping them and cooking them for an additional 15 minutes.

Turnip Fries

I served the turnip fries along with a big squirt of ketchup.

Ready for Dippin'

With Ketchup

The fries were pretty darn good! They reminded me a bit of potatoes but with the texture of butternut squash fries. When I dipped them in ketchup they reminded me of the extra-greasy, flimsy French fries. Mmm!

Of course the fries weren’t substantial enough for a dinner, so I prepped my third bowl of spaghetti squash in two days.

Dinner Bowl

Veggie Overload

As good as the turnip fries and spaghetti squash bowl were, dessert was even better!

Reese's Egg

Reese’s eggs are even better than Reese’s peanut butter cups. I think they have extra peanut butter and that’s always a good thing. :D

Time to pack for Easter weekend at my parents’ and Ryan’s family’s house!

Comments

1. blondieut says

Wow, you are so adventurous! I didn’t even know you could eat turnips! lol Way to rock the turnip fries!

Your outfits are freaking ADORABLE!! Where, oh where, did you get that dress and your shoes? You should add a fashion component to your blog…:D

• peanutbutterfingers says

thanks so much! i’ve actually had the dtress for a couple years… i think i got it at t.j.maxx???

• peanutbutterfingers says

thank ya! i think i got it at t.j.maxx, but it was several years ago… i don’t remember for sure! :)

I haven’t had turnip in years – mainly because I’m a picky eater and I don’t like it cooked. But believe it or not, it really does taste good, raw.

I’ve never tried cooking turnips before! Looks good though. I like limp greasy fries too :)

Spaghetti squash lasts for DAYS I swear. You get so much out of one! But I don’t mind. It’s delish!

Those fries look good. I use turnips a lot whenever I roast veggies (I usually buy a winter veggie mix and there is always a bunch of them included). Yummy!
    Happy Easter! Have a great time with your family.

You look gorgeous in that dress! I realize I should be commenting on your wonderful turnips (I love them and PARSNIPS!!!) but that dress is killer!!
    Barbara
    ps- and your turnips look pretty good as well! lol

hahah.. so funny you should say that about the PB cups! my boyfriend SWEARS by the eggs, he said they taste so different and better than the cups! i can’t tell the difference, but it is funny you mentioned it. LOVE that dress and LOVE your pup!

7. Annie says

As I pulled out a hot batch of turnip fries earlier this afternoon, I realized that you left out one important fact about these little buggers.

THEY ARE ADDICTING!

Every single time I’ve made these (today would be my third – or is it fourth?) since learning about it on your blog, I’ve inhaled them all by my lonesome self in one fabulous sitting. Sometimes with Tzatziki sauce, other with just a squeeze of lime juice. Either way, these tasty little things get shoveled into my mouth.

Thank you for sharing! :)

8. Alyssa Jacobsen says

This is a genius idea. I’m trying to change my eating habits but fries have always seemed to be my weakness and constant craving. Can’t wait to try this healthier alternative. I love your blog by the way. I’m a pinterest newbie and have come across your blog a couple of times now! Great stuff!

-Alyssa