So What IS BodyPump?

If you’ve read this blog more than once you’ve likely caught on to my intense love of BodyPump. Proof: Pop on over to my Exercise Log, and you’ll see that I take a BodyPump class as often as three times a week.

I know some of you share my affinity for the ‘Pump, but I also know there are a few of you out there who feel in the dark whenever I mention BodyPump.

According to the BodyPump website, “BodyPump is the original barbell class that strengthens your entire body. This 60-minute workout challenges all your major muscle groups by using the best weight-room exercises like squats, presses, lifts and curls. Great music, awesome instructors and your choice of weight inspire you to get the results you came for – and fast!

I remember when a former coworker told me about BodyPump. She assured me that it was a challenging class that worked your entire body in under an hour. Though I love group exercise, I’ll be completely honest and say I often feel like the classes are not challenging enough. This is not the case with BodyPump! (However, if you’re new to strength training, don’t be intimidated!  You can control the amount of weight you use throughout the class and adjust according to your personal strength level, adding more weight as your strength increases.)

During a BodyPump class, the instructor leads the entire class through a total-body strength training routine, with a different muscle group serving as the focus during different songs. The order of the class is always the same:

• Warm up
  • Squats
  • Chest
  • Back/Hamstrings
  • Triceps
  • Biceps
  • Lunges
  • Abs
  • Cool down

To me, squats and lunges are always the most difficult!

During the class you have a bar to which you add and deduct weight, depending on which muscle group you’re working. For example, I have a lot more weight on my bar when I’m doing squats than when I’m doing triceps.

My BodyPump Set Up

You will work a certain muscle group for an entire song. No more three sets of 15 reps! During BodyPump, you will do a lot of reps of various exercises, which means your starting weight should be lighter than what you might normally do in the weight room on your own.

My BodyPump weight selection typically looks like this (including the 2.5 lb. bar):

• Warm up: 22.5 lbs.
  • Squats: 47.5 lbs.
  • Chest: 22.5 lbs.
  • Back/Hamstrings: 42.5 lbs.
  • Triceps: 22.5 lbs.
  • Biceps: 22.5 lbs.
  • Lunges: 22. 5 lbs.
  • Abs
  • Cool down

Hi Guys!

(Side note: I feel like the biggest tool taking the above picture this morning. The things I do for the blog! ;) )

Some BodyPump releases are harder than others, but by the end of every BodyPump class, I’m pretty sweaty and I always feel like I got a decent workout. (In case you’re in the dark, a BodyPump release is created by BodyPump and then distributed to instructors all over the world who learn it before teaching it to a class, so the releases are the same at every gym.)

BodyPump really works for me. I love the challenge and it forces me to do moves I hate (squats, lunges) in a fun, upbeat environment. Plus, I’m much more likely to skip working out areas like my chest or back when I’m on my own, and BodyPump doesn’t let me skirt around certain muscle groups that deserve attention.

Have you ever taken a BodyPump or other strength training class? Love it? Hate it? Share!

Comments

Too funny…I loved the “tool” comment. You totally rock, Julie! I LOVE body pump…it is a great way to get those pesky weights in!;) Have a GREAT Saturday, my friend!

I love body pump! Where I used to take it (the gym at FSU) we used bars that were different weights, and handweights. They didn’t have the disc things (barbells?) I miss it! I need to find a gym with good classes!

• peanutbutterfingers says

that’s so awesome that your college offered bodypump!! ucf didn’t & i wish they would have. it’s awesome!

• peanutbutterfingers says

ooh definitely let me know how you like it once you’re able to take a class. i’m sorry about your stress fracture. :(

you have AN ADORABLE FIGURE!! just saying! you look young! and thats a good thing-youre gona be one of those HOT moms that looks like shes 20 when shes like 40!!!!

• peanutbutterfingers says

thanks! whenever i’m not weating ANY make up at all (like in the above pic), people always say i look really young… like high-school young. i guess it’s a good thing?? i guessi ‘ll appreciate it when i’m older… ;)

• Alison says

I can totally relate to the “looking young” thing! I am 23, but people frequently think I am in middle or high school! lol In fact, the other day I was at a middle school and got in trouble for not being in class…ha! I’ve learned to embrace my young looking appearance and know I will be thankful when I’m older! :D

4. Alison says

Wow, this post really inspires me to try a Body Pump class! I actually just did a search and found out they offer a class in town! Hmm…might have to look into this!

I was wondering what you’ve noticed about how your body has changed since taking Body Pump. Can you tell a noticeable difference from all that weight-lifting (you are SO strong!!). I admit to doing much more cardio than strength training, and really need to start lifting!

• peanutbutterfingers says

i can honestly say that i think bodypump really has helped define my muscles more than the strength training i’ve done on my own… specifically my arm muscles. i really do work my biceps to exhaustion in almost every bodypump class, so it makes me challenge myself more than i would otherwise. i love it!

5. Heather @ For The Health Of It! says

Loved it so much, now I’m a certified Body Pump instructor! It’s the greatest! And you sportin a kick ass weight for the bicep track!! Dangsky!

Thank you so much for the post about Body Pump! :)They do not offer it near me- all that I have found is “Total Body” at the Y by me- I think it is supposed to be a spin off of the Body Pump class, but I don’t think it even comes close..

sometimes i feel like im the only one who doesnt like bodypump—i just got bored and its not for me! but i soooo wish i liked it! seems so nice to get a workout like that in! but, ive always enjoyed lifting on my own so i guess that works out ok:)

8. Vee says

Yay! I loved those photos. I’ll try to take some on Saturday during my training as well – as you said: what would we not do for our blogs, right?
    Your weights look good!

• peanutbutterfingers says

i’m pretty sure it’s only 2.5 lbs. that’s what our instructor told us & it doesn’t feel that heavy at all. :)

9. Cupcakes & Exercise says

I take a simular class at my gym – Power Pump – but we also have a shoulder track. One of my instructors does a 1 minute interval between each body part – like toe taps on the bench, burpies or jumping jacks. Another instructor throws in a “bonus” track or two – being she thinks we didn’t work that body part enough yet, so she adds another song and we double up, say squats after just completing a song of squats. They arre tough classes, but you always feel like you have had a great workout when your done!

• says

I’ve just stumbled across this post. I do BodyPump and it does have a shoulder track… I don’t know why it’s been missed off the list?

The intervals in the Power Pump class sound interesting – I’d quite like to try a Bootcamp-type class sometime.

10. Christina says

thank you thank you thank you for posting this! I love lifting weights and i’ve always walked by the bodypump class at my gym wishing I could get in there, but all the equipment seemed so intimidating. Now I feel confident to walk in and know what I’m doing. Thanks so much, enjoy your blog a ton! :)

11. Sam says

I never knew what Boby Pump was all about until I read this blog yesterday. Luckily my local gym offered a class yesterday and I went to try it out. I have never been so worked in my life! It was really upbeat and intense! I will definitely attend weekly now, hopefully I will build up my weights to the two digit level :)

12. Katie says

I tried body pump for the first time today because my new gym offers it! I love it so far & I think it will get even better once I get the weight thing down :)

13. Jenna says

One of my co workers recommended your website this morning and I’m pretty much already hooked!

I recently moved to a new city and started at a new gym after not working out for about 6 months. It’s quite funny because before I saw this blog I was looking through the gym class schedule and decided on attending the BodyPump class this evening (mostly because of the accommodating class time).

Now that I’ve seen your enthusiasm toward the class I’m all the more excited to go!!

14. Mikaela says

Went to my first Body Pump Class last night. I wasn’t sure what to expect and I consider myself to be relatively in-shape, so I wrote down your weights just to have an idea. Let me just say. You. are. STRONG. I used way less than what you listed and was still dying! Definitely liked the class though and will be going back!

Awesome – I have Les Mills Pump from beach body, which is a home version of this and I absolutely love it. It works everything – including your butt! What I love about it is the weights, and you feel as though you’re really getting stuff done. :)

First off, thank you Julie, for the workout ideas. I don’t have the money to afford personal training, although I’d love it. So I’ll try out a couple of your routines and see how they go. My friend introduced me to BodyPump in July of last year. I was immediately addicted! Here’s the thing about it: It always kicks my butt. I take it 3x’s per week with different instructors and they all mix it up. Some are hard core about pushing the class attendees. Some are not but I get a great workout because with all the mirrors in the room. If I’m not lifting, everyone notices. That’s motivation to keep pushing through the burn. So join a 24-Hour Fitness and get going! My gym is 1/2 mile from my house.

17. Laura says

i’ve just recently started following your blog and find a lot of your posts really helpful! Also, I revently got engaged so I was poking around your wedding pages – it’s nice to see what kind of experience other people have!

I just joined a gym that has BodyPump, but I have to admit, I’m a little intimidated by the class! I haven’t lifted weights in awhile and I’m not sure if this is one of those classes I could just jump into (like, zumba or kickboxing). Any tips/suggestions to help a girl feel a little less anxious?

18. Laura says

I’ve just recently started following your blog and find a lot of your posts really helpful! Also, I got engaged a few months ago so I was poking around your wedding pages – it’s nice to see what kind of experience other people have!

I have never seen or taken a body pump class but have designed my own “fusion” of body sculpting/interval cardio workout class that I have taught in my hometown of Indiana, PA for the past ten years. Our challenging and super-effective- one hour workout works every muscle in your body; we perform 2-3 total body strength exercises followed with a cardio burst or a plyometric move. Every class is different and I try to mix it up – not following the same track of exercises but using a variety of HIIT intervals (Tabatas; 30/10; 60/10) and our own bodyweight resistance we get the most awesome, hard core, challenging workout with results to match!
    As a personal trainer, I welcome all levels and my clients progress quickly – however, I always show a beginner proper form and provide modifications for every exercise. It’s crucial to make our beginners feel welcome – it’s tough enough for someone to even come to the class – I try to do everything to help them progress without making them feel they are being “singled out”.
    One of our latest “success stories” is Jayne, a 57 year old grandma who has lost almost 40lbs and has taken 10 inches off her waist – she started my class last spring, struggled but stuck with it and now is one of my “advanced” clients who does it all! I absolutely love these successes and see such positive carry over to all aspects of their lives! We have a few men also and seriously they usually have an extremely tough time “keeping up”, so of course I provide modifications for them as well!!
    Love your blog and anytime you are near Pittsburgh, Pa (Indiana is an hour northeast) you HAVE to take my class – you would LOVE it!!!

20. Dorothy Cavanagh says

I just tried Body Pump at my school, and I was so nervous about going for the first time, but now after going for a few weeks, I love it! I even have increased my weight! I can’t wait to maybe take classes at home with my family!

I create a leave a response each time I especially enjoy a article on a site or
    I have something to valuable to contribute to the discussion.
    It is triggered by the passion displayed in the article
    I browsed. And after this post So What IS BodyPump? | Peanut
    Butter Fingers. I was actually excited enough to drop a leave a responsea response :) I actually do have
    2 questions for you if it’s allright. Is it just me or does it look like some of the remarks come across like coming from brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are writing on other online sites, I would like to follow anything new you have to post. Would you list all of all your community sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?