Healthy Food Staples

Cheese is one of those foods I think I could eat at every meal and still not get remotely sick of it.

There are so many different varieties of cheese and it’s just so darn delicious that I cannot help but crave it all the time!

Today I included a slice of Land O Lakes smoky Provolone cheese in a cheese, arugula, spinach and cucumber sandwich.

Oh Provolone!

On the side I enjoyed cucumber slices and grape tomatoes for some added color and nutrition.

Cucamaters

I am looooving grape tomatoes lately. They’ve been on sale for more than a month at my local grocery store and it’s fantastic!

I also had a cup of Smartfood white cheddar popcorn because it is the JAM.

Chedda Makes it Betta

This was a great lil’ Monday lunch.

The Spread

Healthy Food Staples

Woohoo! Today is the day I begin tackling the first of your reader’s requests from last week. First up: my healthy food staples!

There are certain foods I try to always have on hand. I find that I can create a healthy meal fairly easily as long as I have a few tasty and nutritious staples available to me.

Each week, I make sure I have the following items in my kitchen to make healthy eating throughout the week easier and oh-so-convenient:

• Greek yogurt: I love the creamy consistency and wonderful protein content of Greek yogurt. A cup of this stuff, paired with berries, nuts, barley or low-fat granola makes breakfast a breeze and keeps me feeling full for hours. It’s also fabulous in Greek yogurt pancakes.

Greek Yogurt Pancakes

• Whole wheat tortillas: These lil’ babies are so versatile. I use them almost every day in my morning snack when I make microwavable quesadillas by microwaving a stick of string cheese on top of a tortilla and folding it over. They’re also great for wraps made with lean meats or peanut butter and banana roll-ups.
  • Nut butter: Though peanut butter is obviously my nut butter of choice, having any nut butter on hand makes it easy to incorporate healthy, filling fats into your diet. Simply stir a scoop of the nut butter into your morning bowl of oatmeal, or spread it over a whole wheat sandwich thin and enjoy with sliced pears for an easy pb & p sandwich.

"Gimme the PB and Nobody Gets Hurt!"

• Protein Powder: I don’t consume protein powder daily (or even weekly sometimes), but I do like having it available to blend into smoothies or stir into oatmeal to add extra protein to otherwise less-than-filling meals. My favorite protein powder is All the Whey, but everyone’s tastes are different. I had to try a bunch until I found my favorite!
  • Fresh veggies: For me to feel truly satisfied after a meal, I have to eat a lot. I like to fill my plate with lots of vegetables so I can eat a ton without overdoing it in the calorie department. Though I don’t count calories, I am aware of them and find that filling up on vegetables not only provides my body with healthy nutrients, but also makes me feel more energetic and satisfied after a meal.
  • Oatmeal or Barley: Having a go-to whole grain on hand makes it easy to always have a healthy meal available to you. I love incorporating oats or barley into yogurt bowls made with Greek yogurt because they add extra fiber to my meal, which keeps me feeling fuller for longer. Protein pancakes made with oatmeal also have some serious staying power.
  • Fresh or Frozen Fruit: Fruit is so tasty and I’m always in the mood for fresh berries, so having fruit available makes it easier to select something nutritious to snack on. Apples with peanut butter and frozen bananas make great snacks. Tossing a handful of berries into a morning bowl of oatmeal or a cup of yogurt adds volume, vitamins, flavor, texture and fiber! Eat up! Frozen fruit is perfect for smoothies.

Smoothies with a Spoon = Extra Thick

• Eggs: You’ll always have a great source of protein on hand if you keep eggs in your fridge. I’m a big fan of breakfast for dinner and love using eggs to make healthy meals such as a healthified Egg McMuffin, banana almond-stuffed French toast or French toast strips.

Dippy Eggs!

And there you have it. My healthy food staples. I love ‘em all!

Question of the Afternoon

• What are YOUR healthy food staples?

Let’s share some ideas! :D

Comments

Spot on with the staples! Oats (oatmeal), romaine or arugula (or both), ALMONDS!, PB, La Tortilla Factory Low Carb tortillas (awesome!!!), Smart Dogs Tofu Dogs, Extra Firm Tofu, tons of fruit & veggies, and veggie burgers.

Staples around holidays may change, e.g. pumpkin pie becomes a staple ;)

you totally stole all of mine! i would say frozen produce is the best though. that, and homemade chicken stock in the winter. it makes all the difference in the world and you get to control the amount of fat and sodium. it’s a win-win! :)

Frozen Veggies! I tend to buy produce and then have it go bad before I’ve used it all. So I fill my freezer with frozen veggies. They are so easy to use!

Another healthy staple of mine are cans of black beans. I loooove black beans and they are so easy to whip up quickly. :)

you pretty much nailed it for me:

pb
    eggs
    sandwich thins
    fruit (i buy fresh and freeze)
    fresh spinach
    veggies (mostly fresh, but some frozen for ease)
    pasta
    canned beans (pinto and black; again for ease)
    Rotel (spicy tomato sauce thing sorta; is it just a Texas thing?)

I always feel like I’m in a “healthy spot” if I’m stocked up on yogurt, eggs, oatmeal, spinach, fruit, and beans. I’m a huge breakfast person, so if I can start my day off on a healthy note, then I’m a happy camper!

Mine are pretty much the same as yours, especially the yogurt and eggs. I also keep a low calorie granola like Bear Naked to mix in the yogurt, whole grain pasta, and the fixin’s for my homemade spaghetti sauce in case I need something good but cheap to eat. What else… fresh spinach is always on hand for smoothies, and frozen bananas as well.

7. Kate says

My staples would be whole grain cereal, fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, whole grain bread, peanut butter, fish of any kind, and Almond Milk. :) And a bottle of white wine. ;)

8. Amanda says

Love this! Other than specific dinner ingredients, I pretty much grab the same staples each week:

milk, greek yogurt, cottage cheese
    oatmeal, cereal
    sandwich thins
    fresh fruit and veggies
    almond butter and peanut butter
    hummus
    lunchmeat, canned tuna, veggie burgers
    eggs

9. Holly B says

Love this Q! I’d say my top staples at the moment are:

Ezekiel bread
    frozen spinach (for green smoothies)
    apples & bananas
    greek yogurt
    fresh greens
    eggs
    hummus

I always have almonds in the pantry for a healthy snack. Eggs definitely make my list. Fresh vegetables, including salad mix, tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers are staples for quick and easy salads.

11. amy says

sweet potatoes
    steel cut oatmeal
    almond butter
    low sodium cottage cheese
    brown rice
    eggs
    low sodium turkey breast
    hummus
    protein powder
    greek yogurt
    lara bars

Eggs yes! Good quality whole wheat bread too. And right now, frozen brown rice. Just nuke for 3 minutes. I know this sounds terribly lazy, but its a healthy life saver! I use Rice Expressions brand- each packet equals two cups…I think Trader Joe’s has its own…

After searching far and wide, I finally found the whipped peanut butter! Thank you!! Its awesome.

fresh fruit (Whatever is on sale usually)
    spinach
    veggies (Whatever is on sale)
    peanut butter/almond butter
    la tortilla factory tortillas/wraps
    sandwich thins
    protein powder
    lean meats
    couple larabars
    cottage cheese
    eggs
    egg whites (liquid)
    frozen veggies
    greek yogurt!

LOVE that smart food white cheddar popcorn- it is the jam :D
    My health food staples:
    -Greek yogurt
    -Apple
    -Light Kettle corn
    -Frozen yogurt
    -veggies- tons & tons- any kind
    -egg whites

oatmeal
    eggs
    Laughing Cow Light cheese
    ww tortillas
    ww noodles
    brown rice
    onions, all kinds (LOVE them, strange I know)

I love getting vegetables and fruit. I like eating a lot at meals too because if not I don’t feel completely satisfied. I like eating a bunch of low calorie things rather than a small amount of high calorie things. I’m a big fan of apples and bananas with peanut butter!

I have many of the same staples! Oats, P.B., tons of veggies and fruit, whole wheat bread/tortillas, Kashi cereals, Cliff bars, Balance bars, protein powder, milk, eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, nuts, dried fruit…

Raw almonds, lentils, big ol’ carrots, apples, pepitas, sweet potatoes, bags of mixed greens (which I will eat hand to mouth, rabbit style), dried coconut chunks, eggs, sesame seeds, Braggs vinegar drinks (sounds bad, tastes good, promise) beets, Ryvita crackers, almond butter and goat cheese tend to present themselves as my staple healthy foods these days.

19. Sara says

Eggs and peanut butter are my biggest staples. I have an inordinate amount of peanut butter in my desk at work. I have to keep the good kinds hidden from my bf or else they disappear too quickly!

20. AllieCat says

which “All the Whey” “mixture” do you get? I think I remember you having a cake batter flavor – right? I would love to try that one but I’m not seeing it on their website! I love your blog and follow you on twitter!!!! Sadie is adorable!!!
    thanks!!
    Allie

Let’s see…sort of the same as you.

Eggs, frozen veggies, fruit (especially bananas), beans, tortillas/wraps, nut butters, Truvia, almond milk, skim milk, low-fat cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, oats, brown rice and lots of lean meats :smile:

I always make sure I have the following items stocked in my kitchen: dark chocolate, peanut butter, bananas, spinach, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and beans.

After all this time eating spinach, I have not yet made the GREEN MONSTER.

Thanks for your staples! I would add bars – like Luna, Clif, and Larabar. They are easy, filling snacks and when paired with greek yogurt, fruit, nuts, etc. can be made into an impromptu meal. :-)

Things I literally eat EVERY DAY:
    - bananas
    - apples
    - oatmeal
    - spinach
    - hummus

+ often…. Larabars, almond butter, carrots, tomatoes.

My weekday breakfasts and lunches are often the same things over and over again with only the slightest tweaks. I know what I like, what will keep me satisfied, and how to do it cheaply! :)

25. Paige says

I picked up some of that popcorn recently (in 100 cal packs) and how GOOD is it?! It tastes like that popcorn that you get in tubs around Christmas time!

A lot of my staples are the same as yours, but also include almond milk, whole grain bread, laughing cow cheese wedges, and hummus.