Water for Elephants

Lunch today was a good one thanks to gooey Swiss cheese and a toasty cinnamon raisin bagel thin.

Monday Lunch

I made my favorite breakfast sandwich for lunch and enjoyed it alongside a sliced red pepper.

The Whole She-Bang

Since my office is -5 degrees today, I also sipped on a hot tumbler full of Yogi Egyptian licorice mint tea to warm my insides.

Yogi Tea is Good for Me!

It worked and I am feeling comfy cozy now!

Moving right along to some fun book talk…

Water for Elephants

You guys know your stuff. You’re two-for-two when it comes to book recommendations. I absolutely loved The Hunger Games but I must say Water for Elephants is in a class all its own.

Water for Elephants

I love reading. I have always enjoyed curling up on the couch and getting lost in the pages of a good book. Reading relaxes me, excites me, energizes and renews me. And that’s exactly what Water for Elephants did every time I turned a page.

Water for Elephants is a truly beautiful book. I usually read a book and simply enjoy the story. In the case of this novel, I enjoyed both the story and the words. The author, Sara Gruen, has a way with words that is unparalleled. Time and time again I found myself in awe not only of the story Gruen crafted but her word choice as well.

I deeply admire the time and energy Gruen clearly poured into her research prior to writing Water for Elephants. The story takes place during the Great Depression and follows the life of Jacob, a young veterinarian of a traveling circus. Though the novel is fiction, I felt like everything I read could have actually occurred. (After finishing the book and doing my own research, I learned that many of the events detailed in the book actually did take place on various circuses during the 1930s.)

The book was intriguing, romantic, exciting, passionate and truly captivating. I highly recommend it and cannot wait for the movie to come out in April!

Water for Elephants Movie

I’ll be there opening night, I can assure you!

And now it’s onto the next book! The Art of Racing in the Rain is looking like the current front-runner…

Comments

1. Michelle says

I’m a huge reader and have some book recommendations for you. A few of my favourite books that I’ve read in the last few years were:

One Day by David Nicholls (a story of two friends that takes place over the course of 20 years)
    The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri (a story about an awkward Indian-American boy who has to come to terms with his culture)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (a fantastic gothic suspense novel)

2. Jillian says

I am in the middle of Water for Elephants right now and for some reason I’m just not getting the same feeling as you and all the other great reviews. I’ve been reading it for the past month or so and just can’t seem to want to pick it up and finish it? Oh well – not for everyone. Please do read Racing in the Rain — it is EXCELLENT and a MUST for dog readers :) You will fly throught it. Enjoy!!!

3. Courtney S says

I just read the Art of Racingn in the Rain.. loved it! Your obviously a dog lover so I think you’ll love it too. You’ll start to wonder what’s going on inside Sadie’s brain!

4. Allyson says

Any dog lover would love The art of racing in the rain! Seriously considering naming my next dog Enzo after the dog in the book :) Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Water for Elephants is such a captivating book! I remember I couldn’t put it down when I read it, but it was a few years ago so I forgot what happened at the end, whoops!

I will have to read it again before the movie comes out. I’m so excited to see it :)

I absolutely loved the book! I read it when I was younger and loved it so much I convinced my stepmom to let me come to her book when they were discussing it. Glad you loved it, too

7. Ally@GirlVFood says

Right now I’m reading the biography “Furious Love” about Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton, and I just finished “Unbearable Lightness” by Portia de Rossi. Absolutely STUNNING.

i can’t wait to hear your opinion of “the art of racing in the rain”. i have been wanting to read it. i totally agree with your opinion of “water for elephants”. i just bought “hunger games” and am looking forward to reading it! i think that i have said this before, but you HAVE to give “pillars of the earth” a chance. it is very boy and girl friendly. and amazing.

9. Melissa says

I loved Water for Elephants! I didn’t want it to end. I am hesitant on going to see the movie because of some of the scenes in the book, I hope that they just cut them out, although I know that they are important for the story, I just can’t stand animal cruelty. I just finished The Art of Racing in the Rain. I read it while flying cross country, I even cried on the plane. Such as wonderful book! Definitely for dog lovers.

WOW that was a fast read for you!! I’m still working on The Help and I hear that might be getting a movie follow-up too. Water for Elephants is next on my list – I’ve heard so many good things about it. Thanks for the review!

A few things —

ONE: Just found your blog this past weekend and I LOVE it! I turned 30 not too long ago but you remind me of myself a few years back! I am a major worker-out-er (though have been sidelined by a lot of injuries I equate with ‘old age’ turning 30!!) also a healthy-ish eater. And I try with fashion, but I fail a lot ;).

I have read both Water for Elephants and The Art of Racing in the Rain. Both fabulous books.

A bit more about me — I am Manager of Marketing & PR for a museum in Charlotte NC and love politics, my dogs, running, cycling, and hope to one day launch my own blog a sliver as awesome as this one is.

12. Sarah Westbrook says

Yay thanks for the review of Water for Elephants! I can definitely see how Ryan didn’t make it through it…the beginning was especially slow, but I survived and am halfway through. You’re right, it isn’t for everybody! But I can’t WAIT for Reese & Rob in a movie together 😀 I shamelessly love them both- I can’t help it!

I’ve never heard of “The Art of Racing in the Rain” but after a quick scan of its summary, it reminds me a lot of a book I read over Christmas break called “A Dog’s Purpose”. It’s by the guy who wrote “8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter”…which I only recognized from having heard of the show. Anyway-if you want to read another dog book in the future, I would HIGHLY recommend A Dog’s Purpose. It was funny, touching, and hard to put down. I’ve never been a big “dog book” person…I just love MY dog :) But this one was really good!

13. Sarra says

I feel like I’m the only one who didnt like this book. Maybe its bc i read it in high school, which was like 5 years ago, and didnt really appreciate it

14. Katie says

I loved Water for Elephants and will definitely be reading it again before the movie comes out. I get chills and tears every time I see the trailer for it! :)

15. Heidi says

The Art of Racing in the Rain is a wonderful book! It is incredibly touching and made me look at Winston differentyl. I couldn’t put it down.

I’m currently reading Namesake which is good so far.

Another good book you might want to think about is A Thousand Splendid Suns. It’s written by Khaled Hosseini who wrote The Kite Runner. It is an incredibly powerful book. Hard to read in some parts, but totally worth it.

Ahhh, I love books.

16. Maddie says

As a dog lover, The Art of Racing in the Rain will totally tug on your heart strings! I loved that book and the author’s writing style. I found myself almost tearing up when I finished it on the stationary bike at the gym! haha

17. Lindsey says

I’m so glad you enjoyed Water for Elephants. I loved it so much. Some books stay with you for a while and I’m still haunted by what happened to his 2 “roommates”. I can’t wait for April to get here to see the movie. I will be there opening night, too!
    What do you think of the people they cast for the movie? I think they did a great job!

I am working through Water for Elephants and i totally agree with you. I just finished the help and really liked it though it took me way to long to get through. I agree with Maddie, The art of racing in the rain is awesome.

sounds like a perfect book for you! I love my books to be THRILLINg and captivating.. although I am a sucker for gossip books.. i know, but they’re funny! I also read serious books like Half the Sky, which made me cry my eyes out- but SO SO POWERFUL

20. Gloria says

The Art of Racing in the Rain is excellent.

I laughed and cried and cried more…and then laughed. It tells the story from such an interesting perspective and in such an interesting way. Enjoy!

21. Mimi says

Wow, you devoured that book — Although I think I did the same, because it is really so great!

I’m just about going crazy ’round here, because Borders Book Store is having a going-out-of-business sale. I got four new books today!

22. Denise says

I read that book with my book club over a year ago and loved every page of it. I didn’t know Reese and Robert were starring in the movie! Definitely a MUST SEE :-)

23. Nicole says

The Art of Racing in the Rain is an amazing story! Keep the tissues handy as you near the ending! I was on an airplane – all tears and sniffles – but an amazing ending!

I read The Art of Racing in the Rain- it is a very good book, quick and easy read and very sad. But def good. I think you’ll like it seeing as you are a dog lover!

25. Katie says

The Art of Racing in the Rain is such a great book, but very sad, especially for a dog lover! You may shed a tear or two but it is so worth it.

26. Linda says

A friend just loaned me Water for Elephants. I have a couple of books to finish first. But I’m excited to read it and excited for the movie.

27. Amelia says

That was a quick read! I have one more chapter in my current book (The Imperfectionists – I’m not recommending it!) and then on to WFE.

I have been reading Night Circus. It was recommended if you liked water for elephants… I know this post it old but i just found your blog and i love it! So much to explore! :)