Low Key

The rest of our adventurous day was a lot more low key and much more typical of a relaxing Sunday.

We played games…

black bean burgers 011

And did some baking…

tas-t-o's donuts 022-1

I made a batch of granola bars using a recipe that I changed a bit from Smitten Kitchen’s beautiful blog.

Granola bars are really hard to get just right and this is probably the closest I’ve come to delicious granola bars that actually stuck together without being too doughy or too hard. Plus the granola bar batter was pretty darn tasty.

My sister and I also prepped black bean burgers for dinner in the afternoon. We made one big batch and then split them up so Ryan and I would have some and she and my dad would have some for dinner when they got home.

Leslie and my dad left our place close to 3 p.m. I was sad to see them go! Family visits are always too short.

Ryan and I spent the remainder of the afternoon working around the house and walking Sadie.

Dinner

Dinner came together in a flash thanks to the prep work Leslie and I did earlier in the day.

Black bean burgers for all!

black bean burgers 005

black bean burgers 008

They fell apart a little, but the taste was really, really good.

Leslie and I made them using this recipe, which contained minimal ingredients. The burgers were made of black beans, brown rice, salsa, chopped onion and an egg. Yum.

Even though they fell apart a bit, they definitely turned out more burger-like than my last attempt. Remember the black bean loaf?

Dessert

Later this evening, Ryan turned to me and said, “I want ice cream.”

Music to my ears!

We put Sadie in the car and drove to Dairy Queen where we ordered a large Blizzard to share.

black bean burgers 009black bean burgers 010

Oreo + Reese’s combo. It didn’t stand a chance.

Time to go enjoy the last of the weekend!

Comments

• Liz says

I had no idea you could do that! That is definitely an awesome idea, especially since I always have a hard time picking a flavor :) . Now I just need to live in a state where DQ is open all year round, instead of just march – september….

1. Annie says

The first and only time I ever played Balderdash was a few weeks ago. We had Game Night at my house, and this was the only game we got through (thanks to a large pitcher of homemade sangria!). Half of us loved it, and the other half never really got the hang of it…which made it that much more enjoyable for all. I don’t think I’ve laughed that hard in a long time!

The pictures of dinner just made my stomach do a flip…and then I realized that I haven’t had dinner yet. Ayy

Those blackbean burgers look yummy! Probably way cheaper than store bought or eating out, even if they were a little crumbly..who cares!

Ohmygosh blizzards are amazing. I haven’t had one in almost a year. And now that I know you can mix flavors..I’ve just got to find a dairy queen nearby!

Um…why didn’t they ever tell us that you could mix blizzards?!?! That’s amazing! I’m really sad there isn’t a DQ near me in Boston…guess I’ll have to wait til I go home at some point haha. Sounds like a fun day- glad you got to see your family!

4. Elizabeth Cheek says

Girl-don’t ya just love DQ. They are having a 5$ special here now that includes burger, fries, drink and mini blizzard. We must go. We also really like Hardees and Sonic. Do you ever go there? e

oo granola bars look great. need to try them!!
    it is getting chilly here in the north so warm meals are a must!

ice cream is diminishing a bit!

forgot to tell you what a great job you did on your run with Ryan yesterday!!

Ahhh — I’m about to get a Reese’s and cookie dough frozen yogurt for dessert. BUT, I just wanted to congratulate you on making a great bean-burger! I’ve been too nervous to try making a homemade veggie burger, but that recipe seems harmless. Thanks for the great idea!

I’m so overprotective of my blizzards! I always make J get his own, because I don’t want to share. Ha! I like the little snack-sized ones that they just started offering recently. Because then I can get two different kinds.

Looks like a fun night! I’ve always wanted to make black bean burgers. I’ll have to try that recipe :)

I love blizzards! They are so good! I haven’t had one in so long. My favorite is chocolate ice cream with cone dip. The cone dip when blended in the blizzard gets crispy like chocolate chips. It’s heavenly.

I love black bean burgers. I actually make mine with just four ingredients.

1 cup cooked brown rice
    1 cup refried black beans
    2 tbsp salsa
    1 tsp garlic powder

Just cook for 4-5 min. per side.

Makes four delicious bean burgers! I usually make them ahead of time and then stick them in the fridge. (I have a burger press that came with burger shaped containers). So I’m actually not sure how well they do if you were to make them right away, but they are addictive.