Midday Bowling Date

As Ryan and I ate breakfast together yesterday, I said I kind of felt like bowling. Since I usually find bowling to be one of the most boring activities on the planet, Ryan was shocked and said we had to take advantage of my sudden interest and head out for a midday bowling date.

Ocala Bowling Alley

After lunch, we threw socks into my purse and drove to the local bowling alley where we donned snazzy shoes and engaged in some friendly competition.

homemade protein bars 017homemade protein bars 020

Bowling shoes just so darn sexy.

Neither Ryan nor I are particularly good at bowling, but I am especially awful, so I was pretty pumped to simply break 100!

bowling ocala

I had a pretty stellar start in both of the games that we played, but failed to keep the momentum going.

At least it was a good time!

bowling ball

ryan bowling

We played two real games before goofing around and trying new bowling techniques through a third game.

Before heading home for the day, I requested a pit stop at Peachwave, my favorite frozen yogurt shop in Ocala.

peachwave ocala

I got a combination of eggnog and cupcake flavored frozen yogurt topped with sprinkles and whipped cream.

Dinner

When Ryan and I arrived home, it was almost time for dinner. Before digging into our crockpot meal, I took 10 minutes or so to throw together some homemade toasted coconut vanilla protein bars using a recipe that Ryan found online last week that intrigued both of us.

homemade protein bars 011

The recipe was super simple and came together in less than 10 minutes.

I stirred together coconut shavings, Coconut Secret coconut flour and GNC vanilla cream protein powder before adding milk (I needed more milk than the recipe called for) and shaping the dough into bars.

homemade protein bars 001

homemade protein bars 012

homemade protein bars 004

I could already tell from taste testing the dough alone that we were going to like these bars, but after topping them with melted chocolate, the bars went from good to really good. The sweet vanilla flavor from the protein powder and the texture of the coconut flakes were a winning combination.

homemade protein bars 016

Though you can tell they’re protein bars (they don’t taste like coconut brownies or anything), they are sweet and filling and Ryan and I both ended up eating one as a pre-dinner snack.

Dinner itself was delicious and super easy.

A crockpot meal!

Crockpot beef and vegetables

Earlier in the day, I placed a beef shoulder roast in the crockpot along with some Brussels sprouts, carrots and onion and covered everything with beef broth before adding a sprinkle of garlic salt and letting it cook on low for eight hours.

beef shoulder crockpot

It made the house smell fantastic and tasted delicious on a chilly night!

Time to change and head to church. Enjoy your Sunday!

Comments

I used to play bowling in my early teens…I was the European Champion one year and won a bowling ball, I even had my own shoes which were possibly even less sexy than the standard red and black ones they give you!

I can safely say that I’ve never actually had the urge to go bowling in the middle of the day, but the few times that I have gone, I just submitted to the silly shoes and had a blast! Those bars do look quite good, though chocolate covered anything usually makes the cut. I do love coconut, though, so I’ll have to give these a try with some hemp/rice protein!

3. Cindy says

I am Dying to eat some pot roast like that…looks SO good. BUT I live in a place where everything is the generic, “not healthy” stuff. Its a bummer. You buy only the “happy” kinds of meat and stuff don’t you?
    I would love to tear in to that!

What a fun date! My boyfriend loves blowing, he has his own ball and shoes, so we frequently have blowing dates.

Fun Fact; I was on a bowling team for two years but I’m really not that good.

It’s been so long since I went bowling! I’m not particularly good either, but if I’m in the mood, it’s fun.

And those homemade protein bars look so good! I want to make protein bars as soon as my shipment of protein powder gets delivered.

Your crock pot meal looks delish! Don’t know why I don’t think of pulling mine out to make simple things like that more often. I need to remember the crock pot. The coconut bars look pretty yummy too! I made some coconut bars with coconut oil, and unsweetened shaved coconut recently, but they were just “meh”. LOL Yours look much tastier.

Bowling shoes are super hot! ;) I am not the greatest at bowling so I always set the goal of breaking 100 for myself, too! Sometimes I get lucky and most of the time I do not! ;)

Those protein bars look amazing…and so unlike a “protein bar.” I love it.

I suck at bowling too!!! I rarely break 100 too!! its always a happy moment when I do lol! I am so gonna try those protein bars. Looks sooooo yummy! and the crockpot recipe too!

9. MegS says

Hey Julie! I came across a really neat blog yesterday that I thought you would like to look at it! The couple reminds me of you and Ryan! They produce videos about their lives and the videos are amazing! I figured you would love watching them!

They have actually created a production company.
    The production companies website is
    It is just as enjoyable! They have a few weddings videos on there.

I hope you guys have a great day!
    -MegS

10. Carrie says

I just love your blog! I live in Hobart, Indiana and have been following you for a month or so now. I find that our interests are similar, which is why I kept coming back! Thank you :)

These look yummy. Plus, chocolate makes everything better. Haha- I’m the same with you. I have good moments in bowling but am never consistent. I prefer the bumpers also- not that I hardly use them but when they go I swear all I get is gutter balls.

12. Anne says

Hi Julie!
    This is kinda random but I’ve been reading your blog for awhile now and absolutely love it! You always look so cute and fashionable. I was wondering if you had any fashion tips for dressing for your body type. As a fellow pear-shaped figure, do you have any advice? I feel like I always wear clothes that accentuate the undesirable body parts ha. Keep writing; you always bring a smile to my face! Thanks!

Ahh I was just thinking about what to do with the remaining days of my winter break—bowling would definitely be interesting if I can round up enough people!

I’ve been reading your blog for a few years now and love to bring up your workouts on my phone at the gym when I’m looking for a little variety. Thanks for all the tips and inspiration to live life fit!