Workout Gear Requirements

Lunch to day came together quickly thanks to leftovers from last night’s dinner.

sloppy joe's

I filled my plate with leftover sloppy joes and cauliflower and spinach that I sautéed in a bit of olive oil and sprinkled with garlic salt.

healthy sloppy joes

On the side I ate two protein balls!

protein balls

I made the protein balls with coconut flour, almond butter, shredded coconut, vanilla protein powder, almonds and milk before dipping them in melted chocolate. Yum!

Workout Gear Requirements

A little over a week ago, I partnered with Old Navy to check out the company’s fitness apparel line, Active by Old Navy. They asked me to highlight some of my favorite workout clothes and I thought it might be fun to spin the topic a little bit and list some of the requirements I have for my workout apparel/accessories while also highlighting a few of my favorite items.

Of course I’m all about functional and comfortable apparel, but there are some additional “musts” I have regarding certain apparel items that I’ve listed below. (The last three “musts” aren’t really requirements, but they are definitely preferred attributes featured by my favorite workout apparel.)

• Running shorts that don’t ride up or cause chafing

Nike DriFit shorts

I cannot stand when shorts ride up in between my legs when I run and thankfully Nike Tempo shorts seem to stay in place. They just come along for the run without making their presence known in an annoying way.

• Headbands that stay in place

BIC Bands

BIC Bands to the rescue! I’ve stockpiled a bunch of these headbands and wear one almost every single day. They stay put through long runs and circuit workouts (even burpees!) and I really love the company’s dedication to charitable causes.

• Running capris that stay up

After spending 11 miles running in capris-turned-into-shorts that wouldn’t stay up, this is a MUST for me.

• Sports bras with light lining

Old Navy Active Sports Bra

While I appreciate light lining in a sports bra for the boost it gives my otherwise rather small chest, I also really like lined sports bras because when the headlights are on, I’d rather the world not know. I look for something flattering, cute and comfortable and love Marika’s Balance Collection sports bras (I buy them at TJMaxx or Marshalls) and Old Navy’s padded sports bra that I got with my gift card last week for only $8. Just FYI – I didn’t try the Old Navy sports bra on in the store and had to exchange the size I initially bought for a bigger one last weekend. You might want to try it on or order a bigger size than you normally would if you’re hoping to take advantage of 40% off Active apparel sale that’s going on through today.

• Extra long workout tanks

long workout tanks

My torso is ridiculously long, so a long tank top that doesn’t bare my midriff makes me a happy camper!

• Lightweight pullovers and jackets with feminine or unique details

Old Navy pullover

Moving Comfort

Reebok jacket CrossFit

As a Florida girl, heavyweight jackets are relegated to the back of my workout clothing drawer even in the middle of the winter, but I’m all about lightweight jackets and fun pullovers right now. When they have feminine details like the scarf-like neckline of the Old Navy Active Stretch Pullover or light ruching like the Moving Comfort Flex Hoodie, I’m an even bigger fan. I also love the billowy neck on the Reebok CrossFit 1/4 zip pullover I bought at their headquarters back in November.

Question of the Afternoon

• What are your workout gear requirements?

This post is sponsored by Old Navy. Check out Old Navy’s Active wear in stores or at oldnavy.com #GetYourActiveON

Comments

I’m same about the sports bra thing. I also get all my sports bras at tjmaxx and marshalls. I think my must have workout gear would be: flexible padded sports bra, pants that stay on me, good workout shorts (preferably compression shorts, not spandex), and a good hat if I’m running, and my GARMIN 10 GPS, which is so light, simple and cheap! I love that thing.

Oh and I got that old navy pullover because you and Tina did, and I love it with all my heart as well! Its the best for 45-50 degree running weather. Ran in it twice already and worked out in it too.
    XOXO

2. Glen says

Hey! I’m a high school cross country runner and avid reader of your blog and I just want to say I love all your posts. I also wanted to say that my track coach and her daughter made a business in the last year called Glitter Girls Headbands where they make headbands that do not fall off and are specifically made for runners to wear. They have a great color and pattern selection and the best part…….they only cost 5$$$$$$$$$$$$! I know my coach would really appreciate it if you checked out her website or her facebook page (Glitter Girlz Headbands). If you look on the website in the picture section there is a picture of my younger twin sisters wearing the headbands after getting 5th at the indoor state 4×800 meter race too!

My requirements are so similar to yours except I also like a place to put my key when running. I can tie it into my shoelace but I feel more comfortable with a zipper pocket or inside pocket. I also like to pick a lightweight jacket that doesn’t hit my face on the collar.

4. Cristin says

I love all your recommendations. I have to ask – where do you get your longer tank tops from? What brand or what store should I look at?

Thanks!!!

I have a really long torso…and yet every shirt I seem to find is ridiculously long. Most of my height is torso, but apparently manufacturers think I need to be even taller? Crazy.

Definitely Nike Tempo shorts. I got a burn from spin class one time when I wore other shorts. I don’t even have them anymore, I was so mad I threw them away! OUCH.

Also, I love lonnnnng workout tanks. They are SO much more flattering and I hate when my belly is showing while I’m lifting or doing circuits. It’s so uncomfortable for me for some reason.

And thumb holes in hoodies! Love them.

Something that I didn’t see mentioned…. workout t-shirts with LONG sleeves. Cap sleeves can be so sooo unflattering. Plus I have broader shoulders for a girl. So I love t-shirt sleeves that fall halfway to my elbows!!

“when the headlights are on, I’d rather the world not know” haha I LOVE this! And totally agree. There is nothing more embarrassing. I also like my workout clothes to be lightweight/have mesh panels to keep me cool. And no grey allowed! I get way too sweaty.

9. Katie says

I saw those sports bras at Old Navy too and was excited to try them on since they were lightly padded/lined but holy crap they were tighter than most sports bras! The price was right but I couldn’t find a size that fit in all the right places.