How You Can Help Boston

In the wake of tragedy, I think we all want to do something to help those who are hurting. My heart breaks for those who lost a loved one yesterday and for those who sustained injuries from the explosions that occurred near the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

Knowing that three lives were lost and that one family lost their sweet 8-year-old boy, Martin, leaves me speechless and horrified. Knowing that many of the injuries sustained by 152 people yesterday will last a lifetime is heart breaking.

Many people are coming together to show their support for those affected by the explosions. Some are wearing race shirts or blue and yellow. Others are donating blood and honoring the heroic people who stepped up and acted with courage and compassion in the face of tragedy.

For those of you looking for ways to help those affected by the events that unfolded at the Boston Marathon yesterday, here are two resources:

If you have additional information about how to best help those affected by the explosions, please let me know in the comments section of this post and I will update the post accordingly.

Edited to add the following resources:

Comments

1. Jess says

it’s nice to see a post like this. I’s a nurse in Boston and worked 15 hours throughout the night at a major Boston hospital. It was horrific. The outreach and continuos support from around the globe and states is amazing….so thank you.

2. Amy Adams says

Rue La La, based out of Boston, is selling black t-shirts that say TOUGH, PROUD, BRAVE, FREE, BOSTON in big white, block letters down the front of the shirt. They are selling for $20.00 and will be on sale only until tomorrow (4/17/13). The Rue La La website states the following: “We will donate all net proceeds from the sale of this Honoring Boston tee to the Emergency Medicine Fund at Massachusetts General Hospital, which supports the patients and families affected by the Boston Marathon tragedy.”

Thank you for sharing these! I will be sharing with my readers as well! It’s important our nation come together in times like these and we not let the violence/hatred/terrorism tear us down!

4. Courtney says

Thanks for this post! I live in Boston and Govenor Patrick has said there will be a need for blood in the coming weeks. The hospitals are “okay” on blood for now, but if you are hoping to help out and donate, keep an eye out on the Red Cross website for more information on donating blood 🙂

A different angle. I have NOT worked with them, but I’ve heard tons of buzz and definitely WISH I could. Back on My Feet (http://www.backonmyfeet.org/)uses running as a way to help homeless people experience success and change how they define themselves. They also have educational and career placement trainings. I think it is a great way to give to the country as a whole, to some of the neediest among us, and also to give back to the community of runners and runner-supporters who were targeted in this event

6. Nikki says

My cousin’s classmate from HS lost both his limbs. It’s one of the pictures circulating. He’s being wheeled out and you can see no legs. Just awful.