Sadie’s First Turkey Trot

Sadie’s first turkey trot was a success!

Dog Turkey Trot

What constitutes a successful turkey trot with Sadie in my eyes? No potty breaks! For a dog that likes to pee 10,000 times on any run we go on together, I figured we’d stop a handful of times on this run. I was worried about annoying people as we veered off to the side for Sadie to sniff and pee, so I was pleasantly surprised to run without a single break!

Ryan, Sadie and I arrived in downtown Sarasota five minutes before the race began at 8 a.m. We had time to say hello to two other vizslas!

photo 4 (1)

They seemed to love Sadie a lot more than she loved them. Sadie was really cold (it was in the low 40s this morning), and just wanted to be held until it was time to go. She’s such a baby.

photo 3 (3)

That face! Such a goof.

photo 2 (1)

Once it was time to run, there was quite a big crowd, so I did my best to run off to the side with Sadie and stay out of everyone’s way.

photo 5

Sadie is kind of paranoid in large crowds and seems to want to be the line leader when she’s in a big group, so staying out of the way was my main strategy. I saw a lady running with her doberman that seemed to have the same plan, so we followed behind her for the first half of a mile or so until we reached the bridge.

The course was beautiful and we ran along the water for two of the three miles. The bridge had us running up a steep incline (two times since it was an out and back course), but it was stunning. I also loved running with a chill in the air and no humidity. Oh happy day!

We finished in 28:07 and felt great!

photo 4

photo 1

And now it’s almost time to eat! Everyone will be arriving at my in-law’s house in 20 minutes and I’m ready to dig into a big Thanksgiving lunch!

Happy Thanksgiving, my friends!!! I am so grateful for each and every one of you.

Comments

1. Samantha says

It’s amazing how Florida people find this weather ‘chilly’. I’m in Orlando, from Michigan, on vacation and we’ve been wearing shorts all week. The weather couldn’t be more perfect!!!! Back home we have snow on the ground and it’s well below freezing.

2. Donna O says

It amazes me how much Sadie is just like my vizsla, Tanner. He is forever making us pick him up and hold him the same exact way Sadie is with you. It must be a vizsla thing because I’ve never seen another breed that likes to be held that way. I love it. Tanner loves running 5k’s but prefers to be off leash in the trails! Love your blogs!

3. Aurora@Fitness is Sweet says

Sounds like so much fun! I know my dog would have stopped at least 10 times! Have a great thanksgiving Julie!

I’m so sad I wasn’t able to run this race! My dad went to register us on-site yesterday morning and they were already sold out! We just had to make our own Turkey Trot 5K around downtown St. Pete.

Glad y’all had fun and Happy Thanksgiving!

Ah I’m so happy Sadie’s first Turkey Trot was a success!! I plan on getting a dog over the summer and I hope I’ll be able to train him to run with me too! It’s absolutely adorable how Sadie likes being held. Enjoy the rest of your Thanksgiving!

Kristen

So fun! I ran a turkey trot this morning with my best friend and it was awesome. You’re right it was soooo cold in Florida today. What a nice change! I love these pictures. You guys looked like you had a blast! Happy thanksgiving!!

I love all the photos of Sadie as well as the other dogs.

So glad to hear she had such a successful first Turkey Trot, surprised you didn’t dress her up in some turkey costume ;) hehe

I hope you have an awesome Thanksgiving. We don’t celebrate it here in Australia but I have been drooling over all the thanksgiving food pictures I’ve seen on other blogs.

8. Annie says

Saw a vizsla during the Turkey Trot here in Birmingham. She was going nuts and having the best time of probably anyone. Thought of your Sadie!

9. Elsa says

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your families, adorable SADIE :) and all your followers!

South Africa does not have “Thanksgiving” but my boyfriend and I love all things America, so we will have our own Thanksgiving celebrations being grateful for the many blessings in our lives <3

10. amy jo says

Hi!!! Those two vizslas that were excited to see Sadie were my friends! I was excited to see you since I follow your blog!!! It was a cold race for sure!
    Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!!! :)

11. Pua says

My dog peeing all over the place is my usual concern when I take him on a walk/run! He keeps stopping every few seconds and it ends up being all about him. Typical! :-) Haha, gotta love our pets!