Five: A Random Blog Survey

Super random blog post coming your way today!

I got the idea for this blog post on Sunday when Ryan and I were hanging out on the couch chatting about travel plans for the year. We are really hoping to plan a family vacation within the next few months but our destination is totally up in the air. We came up with a list of about 10 places we’re dying to go that might work with a baby and I thought I could morph that conversation into a blog post focusing on the number five (because 10 is a little long for this type of thing)!

FIVE - A Random Blog Survey

It’s a survey-esque blog post and I’d love for you to pick a few categories to share your “top fives” in the comments section.

Happy Thursday!

Five: A Random Blog Survey

• Five Places I’m Dying to Visit

Alaska

Alaska (to see whales in the wild)

Australia (to scuba dive the Great Barrier Reef)

Napa Valley/Sonoma (one day in the future… when we’re okay with leaving Chase for a bit)

Olympic National Park (dying to visit the Pacific Northwest with Ryan!)

Yellowstone National Park (okay, basically any National Park…)

• Five Foods I Eat Every Day

Kristin from Iowa Girl Eats

Brittany from Eating Bird Food

Lindsay from The Lean Green Bean

Brittany from A Healthy Slice of Life

Gina from SkinnyTaste

Best Instagram Accounts

TheDogist (Gorgeous photos of different kinds of dogs, typically shot along the streets of NYC)

HilariousBabies (This one cracks me up)

BethWilliamsFitness (One of my favorite BBC trainers’ new fitness account)

Tank.Sinatra (A hilariously inappropriate account)

JulesHough (She could not be any cuter)

• Five Things I Wear (Almost) Every Day

Bombas Ankle Socks

Leggings

UGG Slippers

Bombas ankle socks or Fabletics no-show socks

Fabletics no-show underwear/thongs

Headbands (SparklySoul, BicBands <— Both are great for working out and don’t slip!)

• Five Songs I Listen To On Repeat

Cocktails acappella

Shark In The Water by The Cocktails (My all-time favorite a cappella remake)

Water Under The Bridge by Adele (The most beautiful voice)

Chandelier by Twisted Measure (Another gorgeous a cappella remake)

Valerie by Amy Winehouse (So catchy)

Ugly Heart by GRL (An upbeat BodyPump song discovery)

• Five Beauty Products I Use Every Day

Beauty Favorites

Rosehip Oil (I use this obsessively. Stay tuned for a post all about this stuff because I’ve been receiving emails from you guys daily with questions about how I use it. It’s without a doubt my favorite beauty discovery from 2015!)

EOS Lip Balm

TheBalm Stainiac Lip Stain (I initially received this as a sample in one of my Birchbox mailings and fell in LOVE. Now it’s something I use to give my lips a hint of color every day. You can keep it light or layer the color for a richer look. It’s the best!)

Burt’s Bees Facial Cleansing Towelettes

Almay Get Up and Grow Mascara

• Five Movies I Can Watch On Repeat

Pitch Perfect

Father of the Bride

Harry Potter (all of them, but especially the first one)

Love Actually

Elf

• Five Books On My Current Reading List

All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

13 Hours by Mitchell Zuckoff

The Boss Baby by Marla Frazee (We actually read this one during library story time on Monday but I’m sharing it here because it was hilarious. It is a great baby book that new parents will appreciate as it makes light of some of the harder parts of parenting a new baby. I also think this would be a great baby shower gift!)

Hands Free Mama by Rachel Macy Stafford

A Mom’s Practical Guide to Baby-Led Weaning by Brittany Dixon

• Five Random Things I Ate Yesterday

Sriracha Lime Pretzel Crisps

Prep Ahead Breakfast Bowl

Egg White Oatmeal Protein Pancake Topped with Peanut Butter (morning snack)

Sriracha and Lime Pretzel Crisps

Aloo Gobi with Shredded Chicken

Greek Yogurt with Almond Butter Granola and Blueberries

Question of the Day

Choose a couple of the above prompts and play along!

Need a place to get started? Here ya go

• 5 Talents You Wish You Had
  • 5 Foods You Eat Every Day
  • 5 Instagram Accounts You Love
  • 5 Beauty Products You Love

Comments

5 Talents I wish I had: Be more laid back, Ice Skate like a pro, Budget money more effectively, Running, Finish the laundry that I start
    5 Foods I Eat Everyday: Greek yogurt, clementines, seltzer (totally crazy for this), a green smoothie of some kind and string cheese
    5 Instagram accounts: @spoonforkbacon, @trebleinthekchn – shoutout to a fellow vizsla owner!, @K8_smallthings – hair goals! and @esteelalonde
    5 Beauty Products that I love: SuperGoop CC Cream, NYX eyebrow pencil (hello really thin brows!), Soap and Glory Smoothie Star body butter, Beauty Protector Hair oil (makes your hair the softest ever!) and my Real Techniques makeup brushes!

I didn’t know you were a fellow Harry Potter movie fan… can I hug you for that next time I see you?! And actually, while we are at it, we can watch all the movies you listed. All my favorites too. You are so sweet to give me those shout-outs- thank you!! And I also love this idea for a post. Such a fun one to read! Have a great day sweet friend! <3

3. Emily says

I have to recommend Glacier National Park over Yellowstone (I live in Montana), in my opinion Glacier is the most beautiful place I have ever been and I travel a lot.

When you go to Napa (and you will), take a hot air balloon ride. We did 5 years ago and it was the most amazing thing ever! They do it every day so they’re very skilled. I think our company was Balloons Over the Valley or something like that.

5 Talents You Wish You Had- That I could draw, always think positively (it feels like a talent), not be a procrastinator, master organizer, baking with yeast…always a fail on my end.

5 Foods You Eat Every Day- Apple, relish tray veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, radish, celery), orange, peanut butter

5 Instagram Accounts You Love- @kellisegars, @jens.fit.journey, @kgrimes526, @elitedailywellness, @kauaihumanesociety

5 Beauty Products You Love- Rosehip oil (thanks to you but looking forward to your post of how you use it), Baby Skin Primer, Island Soap & Candle Works lip balms, Andalou Naturals Rose Cleansing Foam, AKL Lavender Body Butter Cream

You guys definitely need to visit Olympic National Park! I am from the PNW and it is just gorgeous up here (even though it rains – a lot!).
    5 talents I wish I had: Drawing, master organizer, singing, playing the piano and to be a runner (I hate it!).

This is such a great idea for a blog post!
    5 Foods You Eat Every Day- eggs, peanut butter, banana (sometimes all together), almond milk, cheese

5 Talents You Wish You Had- photography, patience, baking, dog whisperer, ultra clean

5 Instagram Accounts You Love- @fuelforfire @arizona_hiking @arizonacoffee @projectrr @runnersworldmag

5 Beauty Products You Love- silk, biolage, coconut oil, toothpaste, sally’s heat protectant

What a fun post!

Five talents I wish I had: singing, dancing, putting on eyeshadow without looking like I’ve been in a fight, handiness (being able to build/fix things easily), and having an eye for putting clothes together.

This was a fun post to read!

Will you do a review of the BLW book/theory? My little guy is 4.5 months and I’m starting to research BLW as a possible option when he’s 6 months. Have you given Chase any rice cereal or purees so far? Are you strictly going to do BLW? Our pediatrician said to start with rice cereal at 5 months, but I’m not too keen on that idea. I’d prefer if we just started with normal food! AHHH! So many questions! Thanks!

I’m going to play along with the 5 places I’m dying to visit:

1. Australia, for the same reasons as you
    2. New York City – I went when I was 11 but that doesn’t count for much
    3. A Disney park outside the US, Paris would be lovely!
    4. Any national park once we’re done having kids. I want to show our kids places like that.
    5. Tahiti. Those over water bungalows look amazing!

Once Chase is a little older, you should DEFINITELY hit up the national parks. My family did that growing up, and we got to see so many amazing things for SO CHEAP. My soon-to-be husband and I are planning a trip to southern Utah to hit up three parks this October, we can’t wait.

11. janet says

5 Foods You Eat Every Day coffee, honeycrisp apples (when they are not $2/apple- otherwise a granny smith), an OKA grilled cheese sandwich, fish

5 Beauty Products You Love Nova Scotia Fisherman Sea Kelp Body Rescue Balm, Nova Scotia Fisherman Seas Salt and Caramel lip balm, Skin Fix Rapid Repair Balm, Elizabeth Arden 8-Hour UNSCENTED balm, LushI Love Juicy shampoo

So fun! We are similar when it comes to food and clothing! :)

5 Places: Maui, Kenya, Isla Holbox, Disney World (when my son is older), and the Maldives
    5 Foods: Yogurt, Avocado, Sweet Potatoes, Eggs, and Peanut Butter
    5 Talents: Skate Skiing, Photography, Swimming, Cooking, and Singing
    5 Movies: Sweet Home Alabama, Good Will Hunting, Forrest Gump, Star Wars, Dumb and Dumber

13. Kelsey M says

Random but did you ever have an issue with breaking out using the rose hip oil? I googled (after I had been using it for about a week and noticed more breaking out than normal) and apparently that’s an issue for some people with that oil. Just curious about your experience! I may try using it only a few times per week instead of every day and see how it goes from there.

Valerie by Amy Winehouse is so damn catchy, I love blasting it in the car and pretend I can sing haha! I’ve been wanting to read All the Light We Cannot See, but I’ve got a couple books I want to read before committing to one I don’t have. I am finishing The Rosie Project (LOOOVE) and want to read The Husband’s Secret and 10% Happier.

• says

YES! I am obsessed. I will often put them in frittatas, egg scrambles, salads or roast them for a side at dinner! I prep a batch on Sundays so I almost always have a bunch of roasted sweet potatoes ready to throw into random meals.

Ahhh I went to Alaska this past summer and LOVED it! I was not expecting it to be as beautiful as it was. We were on a 7 day cruise and we did see a whale out the window during dinner:) Australia is also #1 on my list of places to see. I’ve wanted to go there sooo bad since I was like 8 years old! I also want to read 13 Hours too. It looks really interesting and I want to read it before I see the movie.

16. Laura says

I am also a new convert to the wonders of rose hip oil! How do you store the product? Do you refrigerate?

One trip/life experience I want to take in: Winter Olympics 2018!

17. Rachel says

YES to ALL the HP movies. I actually do watch them on repeat. I don’t have cable, so I use Harry Potter movies as my background noise when I’m doing chores around the house. Sometimes music distracts me and a movie is better dialogue.

18. Brittani says

I may be weird but I’m such a fan of lists!

5 talents I wish I had: singing, tumbling, ANY creative ability, French braid my own hair (a talent in my book!), play the guitar
    5 foods I eat everyday: coffee (not a food but a necessity to me!), peanut butter, some form of chocolate, Greek yogurt, apples
    I don’t have Instagram :-(
    5 beauty products I love: SuperGoop CC cream, Anastasia brow whiz, Becca Champagne Pop highlighter, Maybelline GreatLash mascara, Urban Decay Naked palette

19. Ruth says

5 Instagrams: @doviesworkout @nataliejillfit ….both quick fitness videos

@natgeo (love the pictures!)

@word_rocks_project (I like the idea of leaving little happy messages randomly around)

@rachelryle (the cutest animated drawings!!)

and of course @tunameltsmyheart and @harlowandsage for my fix of cute dogs

20. Polly says

My suggestion – do Olympic NP while Chase is still so little. Yellowstone is a classic and the first National Park, so there are so many lessons to be learned around that one. I’m a big proponent of exposing kids to natural places early on, so really anywhere you decide I’m sure will be great! My goal is to visit every US National Park in my lifetime :)

5 instagram accounts I love:
    @lizmariegalvan her home décor is to die for
    @@toddchrisley from Chrisley Knows Best. he posts the funniest quotes!
    @betches they read my mind
    @joannagaines again, no explanation needed
    @hilariabaldwin Alec Baldwin’s wife…her posts are so sincere and real and her kiddos are adorable!

If you wouldn’t mind, I would love to do a version of this survey on my blog!

LOVE this! Totally stealing this post and passing on the street cred (or whatever we call it in blogger world.)

As I’ve FINALLY joined Instagram (@SemiSweetTooth y’all, hey-ooo) here are my 5 favorites thus far:

1) @brobeingbasic – SO funny!
    2) @parisinfourmonths – stunning pictures by a photographer in Paris
    3) @ohhappyday – a party shop that is just filled with happiness
    4) @yoga_girl – inspirational yoga chica that is filled with gumption
    5) @the_novice_native – just a happy Denver-based chica with killer style and smiles for days

Guess I love looking at pure happiness on Insta, huh? Guess it’s not a bad thing to surround myself with, ha!

Thanks for sharing!
    XO, Jessica

Might I suggest Glacier National Park? While I’ve never been to Yellowstone, everything I hear suggests that Glacier is by far superior, and, honestly, I can’t imagine how Yellowstone could compete. Glacier is stunningly beautiful, and one of my favorite places on earth.

I’ve been reading a lot about baby led weaning lately. I think that’s what most of my family has done their kiddos!

Also, Rose Hip Oil, I’m actually about to order an organic bottle!! Wooohoo!

25. Lindsay says

Oh my gosh I loved this post :D. I remember surveys like this being so fun when I was doing my blog. Thanks for the new instagram accounts to follow! 5 songs I listen to on repeat- Ugly Heart by GRL (love that one too!), White Dress by Ben Rector, Beautiful by Ben Rector (I kind of love him haha), Fall by Timeflies (the Timeflies pandora station has the best music to workout to), and Beautiful Life by Nick Fradiani

26. Amanda F says

5 Talents I Wish You Had:
    Being able to style my own hair
    Finding pants that fit
    Sewing
    Singing
    Makeup Application

5 Foods I Eat Every Day:
    Spinach
    Banana
    Greek Yogurt
    Almond Butter
    Cheese :)

1.) I wish you lived closer because our fridge is always full of leftovers that we need help eating!

2.) Why isn’t Richmond on your travel list?!?!?! 😉

3.) I LOVE rosehip oil!! It’s so hydrating.

28. Mindy B. says

Rosehip oil is a game changer! I ordered it shortly after you posted about it on your blog. I typically put about 5 drops of oil in my hand then rub all over my face. My face is usually really oily at first but I let it soak in for about 10 minutes and THEN do my night cream.

After using it for 2 months, my skin is glowing. It really does help produce new skin cells!

29. Dana says

Fun post! 5 things I eat a day: eggs, Apple or banana, oatmeal, peanut butter, nuts and 5 talents I wish I had: whistling, singing, styling hair, organization, and pretty cursive (mine looks like it did when I first learned cursive in 2nd grade).

For instagram accounts, Jules Hough just like you, she is awesome and pretty down to earth for someone who is famous and tone it up or Tiuteam.

30. Cindy says

I grew up in Seattle, so I whole-heartedly support visiting Olympic National Park! And, if your main driver for visiting Alaska is to see whales in the wild, try taking a whale watching trip up to Friday Harbor from the Seattle area. You might be able to combine the two! But, after visiting Alaska last summer I definitely think you should do both trips. ; )

31. Stephanie says

5 Talents – Dancing, drawing, graphic design, styling my own hair, neatly painting my nails
    5 Foods – Bananas, peanut butter, salads, apples, coffee
    5 Instagrams – @morningslikethese, @mightyinthemitten, @kellyufit, @coco.the.bear, @smushball
    5 Beauty Products – Naked palette, 40 Carrots Night Cream, Ponds face/makeup remover wipes, Maybelline Stiletto Liquid Eyeliner, Organix Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo/Conditioner

Just started All the Light We Can Not See. I highly recommend The Nightingale as well (same genre), one of the best books I’ve ever read. I live in the mountains next to Yellowstone 45 min. away, if you plan a trip try to avoid the peak season summer months, much better experience that way!

Fun post!! I love the HP movies & books too :)

I wish I had the talent of singing too. I can belt it out in my car so I think I sound like Idina Menzel….. haha. foods I eat every day: eggs, protein powder, whole wheat bread, yogurt, spinach

34. Lexie says

After you fly you must definitely do a post about how it went and with tips. We’re flying for the first time with a baby next month and I’ve been researching up a storm!

My baby is a few weeks older than Chase and we’ve been doing BLW for about a month now. We love it! It’s easier than pureeing, she just eats what we eat, no salt or sugar. I can already see a difference in her fine motor skills and she’s loved everything she’s tried so far. Frozen broccoli and green beans are great for teething too!

You are too kind – thank you so much for including me, and if I lived closer I WOULD come and cook for you every day! 😉 Let’s see here, I feel as though the “5 Foods You Eat Every Day” is appropriate for me: 1. Chips and salsa 2. Applegate Farms uncured salami (#cantstopwontstop) 3. some sort of berry 4. does Perrier count? Obsessed. 5. leftovers. Love me some leftovers! Have a great weekend, Julie! :)

36. Sabina says

Five Places I’m Dying to Visit
    Australia
    Italy
    Antarctic
    California Wine Country
    Hawaii

Five Songs I Listen To On Repeat
    – anything zac brown
    – anything jimmy buffett
    country nation by brad paisely
    savy it for a rainy day by kenny chesney
    Like a wrecking ball – eric church

Five Beauty Products I Use Every Day
    -ole henrickson truth serum
    -benefit roller lash mascara
    -eos lip balm ( coconut swirl is my fav at the moment )
    -Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo or style cream if i just washed my hair

– bacon
    – salad
    – olives
    – chicken
    – mustard

37. Kim from MN says

Just wanted to say how much I enjoy these posts, I was too busy to comment last week. Super fun to read! I’ll play along belatedly with movies I could watch repeatedly (there are so many to choose from, honestly): When Harry Met Sally, The Shawshank Redemption, Sense and Sensibility, the Shrek movies, and so many others but a recent fave is We’re The Millers. I also watch Elf repeatedly! Ditto HP movies! And all your choices were good ones! Star Trek 2009 (yes, I like historical movies, prison movies, cartoons, musicals, comedy, action, and sci fi! I’m kind of into all genres.)

38. AJ says

Come to Australia and you’ll hit your whole list in one go! Great Barrier Reef, beautiful national parks, gorgeous wine regions and whales galore. We see them migrating north and then south again every year, i live on the coast and you can spot them from the beach. Ps we also have great
    coffee :)