Yoga: I Actually Enjoyed It

Something amazing happened this morning.

I took a yoga class and actually enjoyed it.

Yogi Julie

(You have my permission to point and laugh at the above picture. I posted it solely for your enjoyment. šŸ˜‰ )

In the past I have not enjoyed yoga. At all. Not even a little bit.

I’ve tried to get into it, but I have a hard time keeping my mind quiet and enjoying the poses and stretching. I’m sure the fact that I’m terribly inflexible doesn’t help, either.

In past yoga classes, I feel like I’ve always been next to someone from Cirque du Soleil or something. Of course their extreme flexibility makes me feel insecure as I wobble around and strain to simply touch my toes.

Today’s class was different.

I took a power yoga class and before the class began, I approached the instructor to express my concerns about yoga, but also my desire to incorporate more stretching into my fitness routine.

In my previous attempts at yoga, I’ve tried to blend into the class.Ā  This time, however, I found that talking with the instructor ahead of time made her more aware of the presence of a “beginner.” Throughout the class she offered modifications to the more difficult poses, which I really appreciated.

I left the class feeling rejuvenated, relaxed and even elongated. My back and hips really appreciated the extra stretching!

Namaste

(Thanks, Mama, for my new green sweater!)

BodyPump

I actually took my typical BodyPump class before yoga this morning, which was a great start to the morning. After only a week off from the class, I am already feeling more sore than usual. There’s no substitute for the ‘Pump, I guess!

Breakfast today was a W-I-N-N-E-R.

I started by making French toast strips by tearing apart a Joseph’s Lavash Bread and dunking it in a mixture of egg whites and cinnamon.

French Toast Strips

I warmed up a sliced Gala apple in the microwave to add on top of the French toast strips for a fruity punch of flavor.

Apple

After layering the French toasts strips with the apple pieces, I topped everything with nutmeg and syrup.

My Plate

Come Closer!

The addition of nutmeg really made this dish for me. I flippin’ love that spice!

Question of the Day

Do you enjoy yoga?

Comments

I’ve only recently gotten into yoga. I still don’t LOVE it as much as my normal workouts, but I can definitely feel the benefits and so will keep it in my routine. And I do enjoy how I feel more confident after a yoga class for some reason. And empowered or something.

PS – The green looks GREAT on you. šŸ™‚

I don’t do too much yoga, I’m more of a pilates person. However, that being said, if I could find a yoga routine that I enjoyed, or had a yoga buddy to go with, I’d most likely change my mind!
    I also like the idea of seeing your morning routine…if I were to try to fit in 2 classes at the gym on a work morning, I think I’d have to get up by about 4am! šŸ˜®

• peanutbutterfingers says

yeah i took back-to-back classes (from 5:45 a.m. – 7:30 – yoga was only 45 mins.). any lag time in between would have made me feel rushed!

3. Vee says

I love ashtanga-vinyasa yoga. Some people call it power yoga – it has a lot of sequences (a lot of sun salutations etc) and they are all done to the rhythm of your breathing. I love how it grounds me. I get to work a lot of sweat but also ease off my mind.
    I agree with you that a week off from Pup can be quite felt. It’s amazing how much it pushes us, hey?

My husband and father-in-law still think it’s called Circus Ole instead of Cirque du Soleil. I laugh every time they say it…

I’ve only taken a yoga class once and I just couldn’t shut my mind off. That plus all the “ohm”s and the instructor spritzing everyone with lavender oil at the end made me never want to return. Of course that was a class in Hawaii so I’m sure Colorado has something much different to offer.

Yay for giving yoga another try!!!! I’m with you on not always having enjoyed it but it really IS a great opportunity to stretch and do something calmer and different.
    Your lavash french toast looks amazinggg!!!! šŸ™‚