"If You Like Pina Coladas…"

Getting caught in the rain
And the feel of the ocean
And the taste of champagne

(Great song!)

Aaand, coincidentally enough I do like piña coladas (and the feel of the ocean, and the taste of champagne)!

My breakfast this morning was inspired by the above song when it came on my iPod at the gym.

I thought a piña colada sounded pretty fantastic at around 6:30 a.m., but since hanging out by the pool and sippin’ an umbrella drink wasn’t exactly on the menu today (silly full-time job…), I nixed the rum and added some protein powder to make myself a piña colada smoothie.

Smoothies Make Me Smile (And Stand Awkwardly With a Spoon in My Hand)

Into the blender went:

Totally Real Coconut Extract ;)

The result was a creamy, fragrant, stark-white smoothie.

Spoonful o' Smoothie

Sip, Sip, Sip

Though the smoothie was good, it put me in vacation mode. I want to be in the middle of a Corona commercial right now.

Questions of the Day

1. What is your favorite tropical drink?

I love piña coladas, strawberry daiquiris and mojitos.

For those of you unsure what qualifies as a tropical drink, I’d say just about any alcoholic drink with exorbitant amounts of sugar (think mai tais, bahama mamas, bay breezes, etc.).

2. If you could be anywhere on vacation right now, where would you be?

Comments

If I’m on a tropical island, my favorite is a pina colada. They make the best ones there. But if I’m at home and wishing I were on a tropical island, I’d pick a mojito. A place by my house uses a stick of sugar cane as a stirrer and it’s awesome.

As for vacation, I wish I were in Greece right now. I guess I’ll settle for cubicle No. 345. :(

I love flavored mojitos! But my all time favorite drink that I’ve had is huckleberry lemonade, which was made with huckleberry vodka. I don’t consider it to be tropical, but it had the fruity sugar part down!

Strawberry margaritas, hands down. But your pina colada smoothie looks so yummy! I have two more 15 hour days, (silly full time job AND part time job,) and then 4 wonderful days off from BOTH and I am absolutely going to the beach.

Oh my gosh, I love Mojitos – but I think it depends on the day because I also like EVERY drink mentioned in the post and in the comments : )

I love margaritas and am so going to miss them this summer at the beach. :( Speaking of which, that is only a few weeks away. Do you still want to try to get together?

I am not sure if I would be drinking that prot powder if it taste that bad. HA I laughed out loud when I read that. I buy Dymatize and it is really good. You might try that. I also really like Muscle Gauge Nutrition and also BSN Syntha 6.

That smoothie sounds DIVINE!! I have got to find xanthum gum. They don’t have it at my grocery store. I think I need to go to the health food store to see if they have it. Surely, they do.

I am actually a fan of pina colados also. That is by far my favorite tropical drink but my favorite alcoholic drink in general is a frozen margarita hands down.

One year I went to the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas and we had a pina colado actually made in a coconut shell and drank that on the beach. Talk about heaven on earth. If that isn’t the whole experience I don’t know what is.

• peanutbutterfingers says

yeah i bought that terrible stuff a while ago & only use it in smoothies where other flavors override it. i just don’t wanna throw it out! :)

also, they sell xanthan gum on netrition.com for a decent price. it lasts a LONG time.

Ha ha, remind me not to try that protein powder! I love flavored Mojitos. There is a place my hubby and I always go to when we’re in Las Vegas and they have the best mango mojitos. Yum!

Definitely pina coladas! I haven’t had too many tropical drinks because of the amounts of sugar, but I could drink about 10 pina coladas. If I could go anywhere I’d leave on my honeymoon tomorrow instead of in 45 days! I don’t know where we’re going though. :) I can always go for a little Hilton Head, South Carolina too though…AMAZING!

9. Melissa says

MOJITOS!!! I love the mint flavor, but I don’t like them too sweet. I am going to have to try that smoothie, though. I think I may even have some frozen pineapple in the freezer!

I would definitely be in Greece! It’s my dream!!!

10. Maura says

1. I’m in love with Margaritas!!!

2. If I could be anywhere….I’d be early at my lake house in New Hampshire to kick start Memorial Day weekend OR kickin’ it on the Islands –meaning Nantucket/Martha’s Vineyard. Yes, I’m a true New England gal at heart

mmmm i’m a sucker for a good pina colada! i’m totally not a margarita fan though which i guess is good in the summer but hand me a pina with a sliced pineapple on top and i’ll be a happy camper.

hahaha i’m pretty sure there was room in that blender for a healthy rum “spill” ;)

I love strawberry daiquiris, but I’ve never had a real one- I was all about the virgins as a kid, and haven’t been on a tropical vacation since I started drinking! I’d be in Paris….always Paris :)

oh lordy…i love pina coladas, rum punch, mojitos, and mai tais. and margaritas. and drinks that I actually drink IN the Caribbean while standing in the ocean :)

if i could be anywhere right now it would be Smuggler’s Cove on Tortola in the BVI :)

Oohhh boy, I love fruity, summery drinks! I’d have to say that my favorite is a mix of strawberry daquiri + pina colada in one! Jay and I first tried them on our honeymoon in St. Lucia, which coincidentally is where I could LOVE to be on vacation right now! 8-)
    The drink has it’s own name, but I can’t think of it for the life of me!! Has anyone else heard of this before??? It’s driving me CrAzY!

I am all about a yummy Margarita, my cousin makes the best homemade mix! I’m going to Myrtle Beach on Friday so right about now thats the only place I wanna be!

YUM! That smoothie sounds deliciously summery! I need to bust out of my smoothie rut and try this out. yum yum yummy!
    1. I love love summery cocktails with mint or even basil in them! I just made a muddled strawberry and basil vodka drink and it was delish. I also love mojitos and margaritas.
    2. I want to me in the south of france right now.

Tastes like butthole LOL!

I love pina coladas! I’ve never been but would love to be in Hawaii.

If you overdo the xantham gum stuff turns blobby…found this out the other day :)

18. Megan says

I would deff. have to say that my favorite drink is a magarita. My favorite tropical destination, JAMAICA! I need to find a new drink while there in September.