Green Monster Couple

Ryan has officially come over to the dark side.

As I was making a green monster smoothie for myself for breakfast, Ryan requested a smoothie for him to enjoy as well. When I asked if he wanted spinach in his, he said “Sure, why not?”

All systems go! :D

His & Hers Green Monsters

I made us his and hers smoothies that contained:

• Lots o’ spinach
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 1 frozen banana
  • Handful frozen strawberries
  • 5 ice cubes
  • ½ c. blueberry yogurt
  • 1 tsp. Bob’s Red Mill xanthan gum (for thickness)
  • Cold water

It's Officially Impossible to Make a Green Monster Look Tasty

The verdict from Ryan?

Exact quote: “This is good. Like really good.”

I think that means he liked it. ;)

Green Monster Duo

(Yes, that is Mario Bros. on in the background. On our last trip to visit Ryan’s mom, he snagged his old Super Nintendo set and fell in love all over again.)

Workout

Our green monsters were the perfect post-workout fuel. I decided to sleep in a bit this morning (if you call waking up at 6:15 a.m. sleeping in…) and did my own total-body weights workout instead of my typical BodyPump class.

My workout looked like this:

Total Body Weights Workout

(Note: The weight noted in the chart above is the total weight used. Ex: For biceps I used two 15 pound dumbbells, totaling 30 pounds.)

I super-setted (did two exercises in a row before repeating them) deadlifts with shoulder raises and bicep curls with tricep dips which kept my heart rate up and made my workout fly by!

Though I’m such a huge fan of BodyPump, I think I may try to start working in one day of my own total-body workout to challenge new muscles and keep my body guessing.

Question of the Day

Have you ever coerced anyone close to you into trying a green monster or other odd healthy recipe? How did it go over?

Comments

i was totally gonna say, dannnng, julie can do 30lb curls? LMAO! still, you are a beast for waking up sooo dang early every morning to work out. well it totally shows!!

my bf eats my concoctions all the time. and honestly, he likes them!

I made my 16-year-old brother a peach green monster once. I put it in a travel mug with a lid so he couldn’t see the color. The entire time he kept saying how good it was and at the end I told him to take the lid off. His face was priceless! Even though he liked it, I don’t think he would willingly have it again!

each week i give my spin class a new recipe, and one week it was green monsters. it was more of a dare to see which ones would do it, but i’ve TOTALLY got the ones that did try it out completely hooked!

I thought you were doing EACH arm, I was like DAAANG! Haha :) I wouldn’t be that surprised though, you’re so in shape! :) I totally agree – I can’t just do one type of exercise – I love spinning but I need variety too!

Hooray for spreading the green monster love!

Meg

I got my mom to try the green monster! She asked what I was making and I said a spinach and coffee smoothie- she looked absolutely disgusted but once I convinced her to try it she was so surprised at how delicious it was! We now make them together every morning after our hour long jogs :)

My boyfriend’s mom eats exactly the same way I do, so when she got a Vitamix we got him to try a spinach smoothie, and now he loves them! I’m lucky that he’s so open minded about trying new things. That smoothie looks delicious though, so I’m not surprised Ryan enjoyed it!

I’ve tried and TRIED to get my boyfriend to taste my green monsters…he won’t do it…he says they’re “too green and spinach-y”

A few months ago, we set up my boyfriends old Nintendo…like the ORIGINAL Nintendo from 1980 or something…he played Zelda for HOURS…I still can’t get the theme song out of my head! What is it with boys and their childhood video games?! I love it though…it’s cute…

My husband will try any concoction I find or make up on my own. He hasn’t liked them all, but he’ll still always try them. He wasn’t a huge fan of green monsters, but he’ll try different variations.

My husband always made protein shakes after the gym, so when I started making green monsters he was game. I think the spinach freaked him out a bit, but he LOVES them so much that he has taken a blender to work to make them whenever he wants :)

10. Ash says

I was going to say – 30lbs… you’re a green “monster” ;) just kidding… way to go! I’ll be trying that workout next week!

See you in 5 weeks (wow, I thought it was less than that) :(

I have gotten my hubby to try two sips from a straw of my GM’s. He’s very put off by the idea of them. He tried one that was just strawberry banana flavor. Something he’s familiar and comfortable with. he said he was ok, but he’s not really game to trying even a whole mouthful. not yet anyways.

A few weeks ago I got my boyfriend hooked on green monsters! He was really skeptical at first but now he makes them more often than I do. Actually, my blender just broke yesterday and he has offered to buy me a new one so we can keep the green monsters coming!

I got my fiance to try one a few weeks ago — he really liked it! Don’t take offense to this — he’s crazy and doesn’t like peanut butter! Of course I added some to the smoothie.. and I liked it more than him. I’ll have to make one for him without the PB. WEIRD!

I love old video game sets! The best is Nintendo 64. I love it and still play it sometimes. I can’t stand the Wii! Its awful. The most recent conversion was my little brother: yesterday I got him to eat a protein fudgesicle and he loved it!