Wedding Dress Fitting

You guys are good guessers!

Tonight was, in fact, my first wedding dress fitting.

I was supposed to have my first fitting in August, but something went a little kooky between the bridal boutique and the manufacturer of my dress, so my first fitting got pushed back to three weeks before my wedding day.

A little nerve wracking, no?

My mom drove in town from St. Pete to be there which meant the world to me.

dress fitting 032 I didn’t realize just how much her presence would mean to me until I tried on my dress.

It was too big.

Way too big.

I wasn’t anticipating this because the boutique ordered my dress in a split size and took my measurements to have the dress made for me and I have not lost any weight. I was a little overwhelmed.

When my mom called out, “How is it?” from outside my fitting room and I answered her, she immediately went into mom mode and reminded me that we were here in plenty of time to have the dress altered and changed to make it perfect for the big day.

What is it about mothers that make them know exactly what to say to help calm, relax and soothe their children?

Shoes + Dress

I was also a little nervous to try on my wedding day shoes with my dress because it took me forever to find the shoes I bought and I wanted them to be perfect.

dress fitting 024

Unfortunately the dress is just a tad too short on me with my heels on (I’m lifting my dress in the above pictures… It’s not that short). We’re looking into ordering a bit more lace from the dress company to add an inch and a half to the bottom of the dress. Cross your fingers that it works!

Clutch

I also brought my wedding day clutch with me to the fitting to be sure I liked the look of it with my dress.

After blogging about clutches I love, the designer of two of the clutches, Davie & Chiyo of the Etsy shop I fell in love with, offered to send me a clutch of my choice for my big day.

I had such a hard time choosing one that I liked best, so I sent them a couple of links to the ones I liked most and told them to surprise me.

They sent me this beautiful clutch:

dress fitting 026dress fitting 028The ivory color matched my dress perfectly and I love the soft texture and romantic look of the clutch.

Plus, the big flower is removable should I decide against it or wish to take it off after the wedding as well.

I love Etsy sellers who create their own handmade goods. They’re the best!

In case you’re interested, the designers at Davie & Chiyo are offering 20% off to Peanut Butter Fingers readers. To receive the discount, simply write “PBFINGERS20” in the message box. The discount will not be rewarded instantaneously, but will be refunded after the purchase goes through. Not a bad lil’ deal! 😀

Dinner

Once my dress fitting was complete and I said goodbye to my mama (she has an early morning appointment and couldn’t stay the night), it was time for dinner!

Since it was a little more than an hour later than when I normally eat dinner, I arrived at our apartment starving.

I immediately ate a fairly sizable protein bar to take the edge off.

I then assembled a plate of fast foods.

dress fitting 036I made a double cheese bagelwich by microwaving two slices of Muenster cheese on an everything bagel thin. On the side I enjoyed a sliced Honeycrisp apple (half went into my mouth and didn’t make the picture).

I’m still a little hungry, so I’m off to grab a cup of Greek yogurt before callin’ it a night.

Apparently wedding dress fittings are quite draining!

Comments

1. Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice says

I am seriously in love with that clutch! SO beautiful. And good luck with your wedding dress, I’m sure everything will work out fine.

2. Adra says

I had the same exact clutch for my wedding last month and it was perfect!! I could fit exactly what I needed into it and got so many compliments!

That lace is gorgeous. I can’t wait to see the full dress. I’m sure you look gorgeous in it–as you would in a paper bag. And the good thing is that the dress is too big…so much easier to rectify than one that’s too small.

4. Jaime says

How awesome! Love the shoes and clutch! My Mom took the lace off of my dress (after I got married) and put it on my daughters bedding when she was a baby. She also took some off hers,. So, now my daughter has a blanket that is double special!

5. Ashley says

Don’t worry, my dress was way too big at the first fitting also. I think I was only about a month out, so I didn’t have much more time than you. It ended up being perfect, though. AND my dress was all lace (Pronovias Sagrera) too! 🙂

They can do it!! Relax- the seamstress knows that this is the most important dress of your life and will do it perfectly 🙂 For my brother’s wedding this summer, the bridesmaid dresses the bridesmaid wanted were on clearance and could only be ordered online. It fit snugly but fine at the time…and then I gained weight. They were able to let it out though, thankfully!

I had my dress fitting a couple of weeks ago, and my issue was that I HAD NOT lost the weight I wanted, so the dress fit just fine. No need to take it in. I ordered the size of the sample since that had fit ok, and had sworn I’d be losing weight before then. No such luck.

Good luck on your next fitting — I can’t wait to see the pictures of you on your dress! I get married about a month or so after you 🙂

8. Stephocracy says

Ugh, I am also stressing about my wedding dress right now. It’s one of those “I don’t need this right now!” situations. We’ll both get through it and our alterations will be lovely and everything will be as it should be.

You will haea beautiful and fitted dress on your day – don’t worry. It will happen.

Hang in there, they are miracle workers…seriously. they will take care of it! I LOVE the clutch, shoes, and lace details!!! I cannot wait to try my dress on for its first fitting in April, I stare at pictures of it that are DEEPLY hidden in a secret file on my laptop so the fiance can’t see it!

congrats!

10. Laurel says

As all things in my life are related to school right now I thought I’d share this fact. When human beings are stressed and they hear their mother’s voice it releases a chemical in your brain that reduces stress…probably why mama sue’s voice made you feel better 🙂

11. Lauren says

OMG I just came across this page about your dress and your clutch, and I have just fallen in love with a Davie & Chiyo clutch myself! It is the first one I found that matches my dress perfectlyyyy. I actually had just messaged them about possibly changing the color of the lining of the bag. I wonder if they’ll still honor the discount!