Two Ingredient Pumpkin Spice Cookies

Buckle up, kiddos, because tonight’s baking extravaganza was full of autumn awesomeness.

Pumpkin spice cookies!

I blogged about these cookies back in October last year, but since I apparently had a camera from the 1950s at that point, I figured I should feature the cookies on the ol’ blog again with a much prettier spread.

Plus, I know many of you likely didn’t see that post since I posted it during my first month of blogging and trust me, these cookies deserve some extra attention.

You guys know how much I adore easy recipes (flourless peanut butter cookies!), and these cookies take the cake for being the absolute easiest cookies to make in the world.

All you need are two ingredients:

pumpkin spice cookies 020

Mix the two ingredients together (or simply stir them together using a little elbow grease) until the pumpkin and cake mix are sufficiently combined.

pumpkin spice cookies 021pumpkin spice cookies 025 The cookie dough will be really thick and completely irresistible. There are no raw eggs in this mix, so feel free to go to town on the dough. I know I did.

Place spoonfuls of the dough on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray (or on a Silpat because these things rock!) and bake at 350 degrees for 10 – 12 minutes.

pumpkin spice cookies 026 pumpkin spice cookies 028The cookies are done when they feel slightly firm to the touch.

pumpkin spice cookies 032 pumpkin spice cookies 034Allow the cookies to cool and enjoy as is… pumpkin spice cookies 062Or allow the cookies to cool and top ‘em with cream cheese icing! :D

pumpkin spice cookies 065I then dusted the cookies with a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice.

pumpkin spice cookies 040pumpkin spice cookies 043pumpkin spice cookies 068The only thing better than how easy these cookies are to make is the end result.

Enjoy!

Comments

1. Kaella says

Wow, yummy!! Hmm.. may have to try and attempt these myself for Thanksgiving (it’s this weekend in Canada) … I may have to substitute the cream cheese topping for light cool whip though (I LOVE it!) Thanks for another great recipe.. enjoy you night!

2. Dariana says

I can not find that pumpkin in a can ANYWHERE! Where do you get it (Target? Publix? Walmart?) and in which aisle?
    I’d love to try out these cookies-they look ridiculously easy to make-i just need that dang pumpkin first! Thanks! <3

I made these about a week ago and LOVED them. They were like soft pillowly clouds of pumpkin goodness. My roommates described their texture as that of a piece of foam or sponge. I don’t care what the texture is as long as the taste is awesome, which it is 😀

Let me say these things are AWESOME! I decided to make them for the fun for the first time a few weeks ago (although my excuse is that they were for my SI students – I’m a sort-of large group tutor), and they were a huge hit. Everyone including myself and my fiancee loved them. I’ve even got one of my bridesmaids making them today to take home to her family. Pumpkin and PBF ftw!

5. Erin says

i remember seeing these last year and have been meaning to make them since then! i have a box of snickerdoodle cookie mix right now. do you think that would be good too?

6. Katie says

Okay so you won’t believe me if I told you, but we had both of those ingredients (Spice cake and a can of pumpkin) and I’ve been trying to think of what to do with each (but never thought to combine them!!!). I’m writing this as the cookies are baking and already licked the batter. HOLY COW!!!!! Amazing! I’ll be making these again to bring to my boyfriends parents house for Thanksgiving dinner. :)

Omigah Julie I am so. fired. up. about these cookies! I am going to make some this weekend? Ever tried them with chocolate chips? I wonder if the choc/pump combo would be good. I’ll try it with half the batter and report back. :)

Thanks for this recipe!

~Laura

Yes Ma’am!! I am SO going to make these this weekend! I have been on this pumpkin butter kick lately and so these cookies are right up my alley!! Thanks a bunch!!

9. Kelly says

the ingredients for the cake mix is pretty disturbing…

Sugar, Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Vegetable Oil Shortening (Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Propylene Glycol Mono- and Diesters Of Fats, Mono- and Diglycerides), Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate). Contains 2% Or Less Of: Wheat Starch, Spices (Cinnamon, Allspice, Coriander, Ginger, Nutmeg), Salt, Dextrose, Polyglycerol Esters Of Fatty Acids, Colored with (Caramel Color, Yellow 5 Lake), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Cellulose Gum, Modified Cornstarch, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Xanthan Gum, Dextrin, Artificial Flavors, Maltodextrin, Triethyl Citrate, Acetic Acid.

10. Lynn says

Anything with cream cheese on top is delicious!!! I know I’ll be making these for the kids to share at school….thank you so much for posting!!

Hey Julie,
    I love love trying out so many of your recipes so I hope you won’t take this as a complaint by any means… If you think of it, when you post cookie recipes could you possibly write down about how many they yield? It helps in planning if I need to 1/2 or double a recipe. I actually asked Katie about that when she posted this recipe on her blog (with credit to you) and she said that it actually yields a very large amount.

Thanks again and have a great one :)

• says

that’s actually a wonderful suggestion! i’ll definitely take that into consideration in the future. thanks, dana! i’m not sure how many this recipe makes, but it definitely makes a bunch… maybe 2 – 3 dozen?

12. Hillary says

I saw this recipe on your blog and literally make these like every week! I add chocolate chips to mine because I can’t resist some good chocolate- but now I want to try the cream cheese frosting! These are ridiculously easy and I even throw mine in the freezer to make them a little cool/firmer since they are pretty soft. LOVE THESE- AM OBSESSED WITH THEM!

I saw the very same recipe on GirlMeetsHealth (now Life…) via cupcake form and not cookies, and they’ve been at the toppa my mental honey-to-bake list FOREVER. Now that it’s autumn and the season’s screaming pumpkin and spice, what better time? You made cookies and of course they’ll be the same flavor, but do you think cupcakes or cookies would own your heart more?

I discovered this recipe a few years ago and isn’t it crazy how good these cookies are?! I don’t make them too often though because I have a tendency to eat MANY of them. :)

15. Jess says

Conversation tonight after reading the description to my bf and Ryan’s comments calling these “the greatest cookies ever:

Bf: These are really good! Really good.
    Me: Yeah, can you imagine if we had the cream cheese frosting on them, too?
    Bf: What?!? Where’s the frosting at.
    Me: I didn’t buy any. I thought that would negate the healthiness of them.
    Bf: Yeah but I’m pretty sure Ryan thought they were the greatest cookies ever because of the cream cheese frosting.

It made me laugh and I had to share! :-)

I tried your cake recipe some days ago but somehow couldn’t achieve the same result as you, my cake definitely wasn’t looking that good (atleast it tasted good). What kind of chocolate do you use? Maybe it’s because of the flour I used, i’m gluten intelorant so I used amaranth flour instead of usual wheat flour.

17. Maria @ A Healthier Maria says

I just made these with funfetti cake mix & it worked great! I made half a batch with just pumpkin & then half a batch with pumpkin pie spice + extra nutmeg & cinnamon. The ones without spice didn’t taste too pumpkin-y but were still bright orange so I think they would be perfect for halloween for people who aren’t too pumpkin crazy (& they have sprinkles which is always a plus). Thanks for the idea!

Hello! It’s my first post but I’ve been reading for a while now! (P.S. Congratulations on your recent nuptials!) I live in South Korea, so it’s really hard to find cake mix and pumpkin puree but I had my mom send me a care package just to make these cookies that I have been lusting after for forever! I received Libby’s canned pumpkin puree and yellow cake mix, so I added some cinnamon to the mix, and topped a few with pecans (also a care package item!) and they are delicious! Very cake-y! I am planning to make a bigger batch for our upcoming Thanksgiving potluck. Thanks, love your blog :)

19. Missy says

I have made the cake, with the pumkin, cake mix and 5 tablespoons of water… then follow directions just to bake. Top with cool whip. I was wondering if I would be able to do it as cookies but never tried. I definitely need to make these. Thanks

20. Alissa says

I am making these cookies for my friend who loves pumpkin! The batter is delicious! I have to say I don’t read blogs but this one is so interesting. I laughed so hard about the Pasta=Rutabaga? that my coworkers told me to tone it down! Thanks Julie!

21. Terri says

I am going to make these tonight. Only we’re gonna add chocolate chips to them. I saw them done like this at a potluck I went to recently. Can’t wait to see how mine turn out! Thanks Julie for the recipe!

22. Mandy P says

ohmigosh why did i wait so long to make these?! we had a social pot luck at school last night and i made these and my classmates loved them. i didn’t realize they would make so many but it turned out great because they went like hotcakes! thanks for the recipe and i’ll def be making these in the future… so easy and loved licking the bowl. :)

23. Angela T says

I made these cookies today and they turned out great! I’ve made something similar to this recipe for a pumpkin spice muffin with brown sugar crumble. SO good! You and Ryan have great taste on cookies 😉

24. Laura says

This may sound like a silly question, but how do you get the frosting on there so perfectly? Whenever I try to transfer my little tub of frosting to a squeeze bag, it is the messiest process ever! Do you have a trick?

I’m so glad that you posted this because I actually just picked up spice cake mix at the grocery store last weekend to make these!! I can’t find Libby’s anywhere around here yet, but luckily Acme had their own brand of canned pumpkin. :)

26. Danielle (Shrinking and Studying) says

Random Question: How big was that can of pumpkin? Or approx how many cups was it? All the cans we have in the grocery store are double wide and I don’t want to accidentally go on a pumpkin overload w/ my cookies.

27. Steph says

Do you think a brown butter icing would be better than a cream cheese one? I’m going to make these today and I am on the fence…

28. Bonnie says

PERFECT timing – I made them several times last autumn after you included the recipe on your blog, but then when I went to make them this weekend I couldn’t remember (yes, even though it was only two ingredients) exactly what it was – seriously only the two things or did I have to add other things – off to your blog to check it out and you’ve got it listed right HERE! Heading out to the kitchen to get it going. I frost with homemade frosting so it’s a lighter flavor and doesn’t compete with the spice/pumpkin. Now to not overinduge…

29. Stacy Mc says

Thanks for this recipe!! I made them this week and added mini chocolate chips to a batch of them. Thanks for sharing, Julie! If I can get them out of my house without my husband noticing, I’m going to share with my co-workers. :)

30. Nathan Miller says

Just made a big batch of these for the fiance’s work crew, and also a batch for our friend for her birthday. They are a hit! Thanks for the great idea!

OMG! I normally make brownies with a can of pumpkin mixed with chocolate cake mix (So moist and yummy! My husband can’t even tell its pumpkin and he hates anyhing healthy lol!) but this sounds even better! Will for sure have to try this ASAP!

32. Bianca @A Healthy Gourmet Lifestyle says

My boyfriend loves pumpkin and I made these for him over the weekend. I turned my back for a minute to wipe the counter down and half the pan was gone and I hadn’t even had one yet! He’s going to try making them for me now since he ate so many in one sitting and I barely got to have any.

33. Brande says

Can you tell me how you store the extras? I made these for my family and my kids LOVED them!! but we have many leftover…I put them in a ziploc bag on the counter and this morning they were gooey. Wondering if I should of put them in the fridge OR not sealed the baggie. HMMM

34. Katie says

I made these last night for a potluck in my office, everyone is currently raving about them…but I don’t know if I want to admit how EASY they are =)

I didn’t get to try them because I have Celiacs and I didn’t use GF cake mix; it was $$ and I was feeling too lazy last night to make my own cake mix from scratch.

I will let everyone know how they turn out with either GF cake mix or my DIY cake mix.

Thanks for yet another AWESOME recipe!

35. Rae says

Greetings!
    TY for sharing. These sounds wonderful!
    I plan to make them for my party this weekend.
    What do you think their shelf life is?
    Freezer friendly?
    TiA :)

36. Michele says

I have made these for years, but we add a bag of chocolate chips to ours. They are sooooo good! Can’t wait to try them with cream cheese icing!

37. Tara says

I made these today, without the icing for some lower cal treats – they were delicious. I could not stop eating the dough as I baked! It made lots so I froze some for another time (hopefully it freezes well). Thanks for the recipe.

38. Meg says

I found that many people do not know what to do with canned pumpkin. I run a food pantry and we have lots of canned pumpkin. So today I am taking in a batch of these w/the recipie.
    Maybe all that donated pumpkin will fly off the shelf!

Fun and easy!! My kind of thing.

I just made these with a friend over the weekend. They came out so good I went to the store and bought enough stuff to make another batch for a party that night. When I told my mom about them, she wants to make them this weekend. I think you’ve started a trend 😉

40. Heidi says

I’ve made something similar to these but they were muffins with 1 can of pumpkin and 1 box of devils food cake mix. Put in 12-cup muffin tin and bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Yum!

41. Alexa says

I guess I’m a little behind on this post, but I was wondering what the texture of these cookies is like? It seems like this recipe is made more for muffins since it’s made with cake mix, so I was wondering if the cookies come out ‘cookie-like’ or soft and bread-y like muffins. Want to know so I can make some this weekend! :):)

42. Susie says

can you use a different flavor of cake mix for the above cookies – can’t find the Spice cake in Ottawa. So can we use a Duncan Heins super moist vanilla than add the pumpkin puree and pumpkin season spices? If so can you tell me what the spices are?

• Alexa says

I checked the Metro in Ottawa too and no such luck. After much debating in the aisle haha, I bought the carrot cake mix, and just added a little more pumpkin pie spice/cinnamon to the batter. They still taste ABSOLUTELY delicious, no ‘carrot’ taste just sometimes a little crunch of a piece of carrot haha. I feel like using vanilla mix wouldn’t achieve as much spice flavour..? But I’m not sure.
      Hope this helps!
      Alexa

43. Lindsey says

I made these last night and they got rave reviews from myself, my husband, and my four year old!! We LOVED them! Next time I’m going to put some Cool Whip on them…but they were awesome all on their own. Thanks for the idea :)