Ice Bath

Tonight Ryan and I sat side by side on the couch with my laptop propped up on his lap.

Our mission: Find a dessert to make for Thanksgiving.

I told Ryan is was his job to select the dessert this year.

He tossed around several ideas, including chocolate pecan pie and Paula Deen’s pumpkin gooey butter cake, before eventually settling on this beauty:

pumpkin-mousse-400Pumpkin mousse

I looked at the recipe, which calls for placing a portion of the mousse mixture in an ice bath for a bit before continuing with the recipe.

I told him that a recipe that calls for an ice bath is ridiculous and said we could find a much easier version of pumpkin mousse to make.

Apparently this is not an option.

Ryan wants the ice bath pumpkin mousse.

So that is what we will be making. Stay tuned! :D

What dessert will you be making or enjoying on Thanksgiving?

Comments

1. Dana says

I made this Frozen Peanut Butter Turtle Pie, a la Cool Whip, except I made it a true turtle pie and put the pecans on the bottom with the caramel, instead of on top. I also healthified it slightly, using 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup Equal for baking, and using 1/3 reduced fat cream cheese. The “test” pie was, to quote my mother, “decadent” and so easy to make (and no baking involved!).

2. mary says

hmmm maybe he should rethink his choice…I have made the pumpkin ooey gooey butter cake and it’s to die. I’ve hadfriends who couldn’t compliment it enough

3. anonymous says

Everyone will think I’m crazy, but I hate pumpkin! I’m the only person in the blog world who doesn’t like it. What’s wrong w/ me?! ;)

Wow, that’s definitely the pumpkin ‘princess’ of all mousses – an ICE bath, hahaha.

I don’t know what I’m making yet for dessert, but I’ve been toying with the idea of making some pumpkin spice cookies to enjoy with banana soft serve – my family has yet to be introduced to the wonder that is guiltless ice cream.

We’re making two–and one is in the oven as we speak! A little premature, maybe, but too good to postpone. The one in process is a pecan pie brownie and can be found here: http://www.howsweeteats.com/2010/11/22/bourbon-pecan-pie-brownies/comment-page-2/#comment-35353. The second one, to be made tomorrow evening, is Ina’s Pear-Apple Crisp. No skimping in this house.

Both will be topped with heaping scoops of ice cream, no doubt. It’s the holidays…right!?!

And I have to give it up for Ryan, desserts with those extra ridiculous steps tend to be the best–and oh so worth it in the end. Great choice!

That looks amazing! My hubby looked over and went “what is that…whatever it is, I want it!”. Definitely a winner in his book too!

We’re going to make a pineapple cake with cream cheese frosting. It’s a recipe that my mom has had forever and it is amazing! One of my favorites for sure!

Looks delicious! Yummy!

I haven’t decided what I’m making for Thanksgiving dessert yet, but my mom and I are tossing around a healthy apple pie or a healthy pumpkin pie. (I vote for pumpkin since I’m not a big apple pie person!)

8. Katie says

That looks insanely delicious!!! Good luck in the preparation! :)

This is my first Thanksgiving away from my parents (but I will be spending it with my brother and SIL) which means WE do all of the cooking instead of drinking wine and beer while entertaining my mom and friends while they cook. :) So, I’m making a low-fat (but delicious) version of the traditional pumpkin pie. (BTW, my parents are somewhere tropical – we were all supposed to go with them but work-duty calls and we all couldn’t take off :( )

9. Vanessa says

Maple cheesecake with roasted pears. I’m so intimidated by the roasted pears that I actually dreamed last night that I messed the whole thing up and all my pears were rotten. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for both of us.

10. krista says

If my husband wanting something made and I didn’t want to make it, he’d be on his own! But I am very stubborn and as soon as anyone expects something from me I won’t do it. :) I also like like to be cooked for so I’m a bit spoiled. ;)

Hi, I do think this is an excellent website. I stumbledupon it ;) I may revisit yet again since I saved as a favorite it.
    Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich and continue
    to guide others.