The Hunger Games

It’s another cold day in Florida! (Cue the eye-rolling of everyone not living in Florida. πŸ˜‰ )

Chilly weather = HOT breakfast

Good news for those of you who are sick of my cinnamon raisin and muenster cheese bagelwiches… I am now out of both muenster cheese and cinnamon raisin bagel thins. Boo!

This morning I used the last of my supplies to make a bagelwich with gooey cheese and warm Granny Smith apple slices. (I ate the remainder of the apple that didn’t make it into the bagelwich.)

Cheeeeez Fo' Me

So Good. Seriously.

Sadie wanted in on this hot fire after she shivered through our morning walk.

"Cheese?"

I wasn’t about to give up a bite of my breakfast, but I did give Sadie a piece of chicken jerky and played her new favorite song aloud on my phone for her.

Take it Away, Babe Mice!

Okay, so I played that song just as much for me as I did for her. It was mutually beneficial. πŸ™‚

And before I forget… This morning’s workout included a BodyPump class followed by 20 minutes on the elliptical.

I spent my time on the elliptical reading Better Homes & Gardens. I naturally I skipped every single page about gardening because I kill any plant I come in contact with, but I lingered over the incredibly beautiful pictures of the homes in the magazine and daydreamed about the day when Ryan and I have a house of our own to decorate. I can’t wait!

Moving right along…

The Hunger Games

Thanks to the recommendations that I received from many of you, about a month ago, Ryan and I started reading The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins.

The Hunger Games

We finished the third and final book in the series, Mockingjay, over the weekend and now that we’re completely done with the series, here are my thoughts:

• First things first, The Hunger Games series are not non-fiction books about food as I originally thought. (Note: Do not judge a book by its title.)
  • If you want to read a true page-turner, pick up any book in this series. Ryan and I both agreed that the books are captivating, exciting and fun to read.
  • The series is not a “feel good” series. I went to bed at night feeling uneasy and had many restless nights which I can only attribute to these books. The books are not scary, but they are suspenseful.
  • There is an underlying romance in the books, but they are not Twilight-esque in that the main character, Katniss, isn’t about to fall over and die for a boy (which made me like her a lot more than Bella the pansy).
  • The ending of the final book was just okay. I would’ve appreciated a more finite ending… perhaps something a little more warm and fuzzy, but the books are still absolutely worth a read.

Now that we’ve wrapped up these books, we’re ready to start something new! You guys knocked it out of the park last time, so I’m hoping you may have some good suggestions for us again. Ryan and I are looking for a book to read together, so recommendations for books by Judy Blume or Nicholas Sparks may not be up our alley (though they’re totally up mine)!

Of Possible Interest

Health and Fitness-related Links:

Fun and Totally Random Links:

Comments

1. Dione says

I agree with the people who have brought up the “Uglies” series by Scott Westerfeld…do read them:) I also love “The Hunger Games” books and have gotten other people I work with hooked on them as well. I also someone mention “The Book Thief” and I absolutely adored that book too.
    I have to say I just discovered your blog last week and you have become my favorite healthy living blogger. For some reason your lifestyle and the food you eat just seems much more realistic than so many of the other ones. I love to eat and live heathy, but I am not vegan, vegetarian or anything of the like and I will never run a marathon or even a half. You just seem so much more REAL to me, if that makes any sense. And your blog kept me very entertained during a very slow night shift last week, thank you:)

2. Amanda says

I have to recommend The Art of Racing in the Rain too. It is from a dog’s point of view and is so smartly written – makes you wonder what your dog is really thinking!! I also really enjoyed the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and books that followed. Next on my list are Water for Elephants and Room!

3. Heather says

I can’t praise the book Still Alice by Lisa Genova enough! I have read it 3 times. I also just read a novel by the same author called Left Neglected and it was also incredible πŸ™‚ Just some more to add to the list!

ahaha, your Better Homes & Garden magazine reading style is so spot on.

I’m always like “garden? flowers? SKIP! Awesome kitchen? rad looking bench-style dining table? droooool”

I love the Hunger Games with a crazy passion. (Team Peeta all the way.) So good books that are acceptable for boys? Here are my top picks (they’re all YA):

1. The Maze Runner: fun, fast-paced, full of mystery, and the protagonist is a boy. (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6186357-the-maze-runner)

2. The Book Thief: gorgeous, powerful, and I’d recommend it to anyone. (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6186357-the-maze-runner)

3. Leviathan: A steampunk YA with alternating narrators, one girl one boy. That could be fun to read aloud, with you guys taking turns based on who’s narrating. (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6050678-leviathan)

4. 13 Reasons Why: mystery and tragedy (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6050678-leviathan)

6. Rachel says

I’m a little old school at times when it comes to books. My hubby and I read together too! We’ve read all the Narnia books together (easy read and brings back memories from childhood!) and several by John Grisham. My favorites were Playing for Pizza and Skipping Christmas – both are fun and would be a nice break from intense, gripping lit if you’re looking for something a little lighter.

7. Emily says

I have never commented on your blog before now but have been reading for a few months since I found someone else who loves peanut butter as passionately as I do!

The reason I have finally been motivated to leave you a message is your link to the foodnetworkhumor.com post on Dark Chocolate as a Snack. I was CRYING laughing and read it to my family and they found it hilarious!! Thank you for introducing me to this food-humor haven and keep up the great blogging!! (I don’t know if you’ll even see this since I’m guessing this post is quite old… but I just had to leave you a comment anyway!!)

8. Lorin says

I totally agree with you on everything you said. I finished the series in 5 days. It was so captivating, one of the best series I’ve read. I wanted to just read as fast as I could to figure out what would happen. It also made me a little on edge too, or maybe a bit sad. It’s weird how books can make an effect on someone. I also agree with the ending. I guess the point is that they are moving on but it’ snot some cliche. They still have to live with the past of what happened and the boy will always have some issues from getting hijacked. I want to read the mazerunner now that I saw your recommendation for it today.

This is very belated, but I made myself skip this post until now because I hadn’t finished The Hunger Games and didn’t want to catch any spoilers in the review or comments! Just finished this afternoon… whew.

I was going to recommend the Millennium series as a great read for guys and girls, but I see that a whole lot of people beat me to the punch πŸ™‚ My parents actually listen to audiobooks together a lot (sort of similar to your reading arrangement with Ryan) and I reviewed the Millennium series on my blog (no spoilers!) to help them decide whether to get these books next! It’s at http://juliesinnewzealand.blogspot.com/2012/02/reading-rainbow.html if you’re interested. They picked them up the next day and haven’t stopped listening since!

Wow. I was barely able to put this book down for a second after the first few pages got me completely hooked. Suzanne Collins narrative here has an immediacy to it that, when combined with the very dramatic life-or-death plot, is incredibly compelling. It’s entertaining, and incredibly disturbing all at once.

After I initially commented I seem to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox
    and now whenever a comment is added I recieve 4 emails
    with the exact same comment. Perhaps there is an easy method you can
    remove me from that service? Appreciate it!

Heya just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the pictures aren’t loading correctly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue.

I’ve tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same outcome.

Fantastic goods from you, man. I have take into
    accout your stuff previous to and you are simply too
    magnificent. I really like what you’ve bought right here, certainly like what you’re stating and the way wherein you say it.
    You’re making it enjoyable and you continue to take care of to keep it smart. I can not wait to read much more from you. This is actually a tremendous web site.

Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it is truly informative.
    I am going to watch out for brussels. I will be grateful if you
    continue this in future. A lot of people will be benefited from your writing.

Cheers!