Montmartre

We arrived in Paris safe and sound yesterday in the early evening.

paris 253

Exciting!!!

After unloading our luggage, we quickly met our tour group back in the hotel lobby to depart for an evening trip to Montmartre, a hill north of Paris that is packed with adorable shops, cafes and restaurants.

Our bus dropped us off at the bottom of the hill where we took a little tram up to the top.

paris 206

Once there, we had the opportunity to walk around, grab dinner and explore. It felt so good to be off the tour bus and taking in the sights of such an adorable place.

paris 040

paris 044

The view from the top of the hill was amazing! I was shocked at just how densely populated the city of Paris appeared to be from high above.

As we explored the area, the shops that repeatedly caught our eye weren’t the ones selling souvenirs. We were drawn to the creperies and pastry shops!

paris 209

paris 207

Though we were tempted to order a crepe on the spot, we talked ourselves into sitting down to enjoy dinner at an outdoor café first.

Dinner

paris 218

When I walked by a table of people and saw two of them enjoying the most fantastic-looking large bowls of French onion soup at the café, I knew what I wanted to order!

My soup came topped with a ton of the most thick and delicious cheese!

paris 211

paris 217

The bread served underneath the cheese layer was also fantastic. I fell in love with this soup!

I also enjoyed my fair share of French fries my family shared and had a few bites of everyone’s entrees.

paris 212

paris 213

paris 214

My mom and sister’s Croque monsieur and Croque madame sandwiches were a hit!

Dessert

After dinner, it was crepe time!

paris 219

Per your advice, a Nutella and banana crepe was ordered and devoured!

paris 220

Oh my gosh, this thing was so good! Crepes from Paris really do live up to all the hype.

Let’s just say I had another one before 11 a.m. today! Winking smile

Since we all shared the crepe, we still had room for round two of dessert and popped into a gelato shop where I ordered a cup of Toblerone gelato.

paris 222

Illumination Tour

Once everyone from our tour group met back up again, we boarded the bus for an Illumination Tour of Paris at night.

paris 236

Paris is incredibly beautiful with all the lights of the city shining.

paris 244

The brief Illumination Tour left us feeling extra excited to see all the sights of Paris this morning!

And that’s where I’ll leave off for now. Smile I’ll be back soon with a recap of today!

Comments

Oh wow, that food looks amazing…all of it! I haven’t been to Paris yet, but this and all the rest of your posts have me thinking about a Euro trip… ;)

Ah, your pictures and everything are making me so excited about going to Paris! I will be going in about 1.5 months! AHH! Can’t believe it. Glad you seem to be having a wonderful time! (The food looks soooo good too!)

Those french fries loooook amazing!! Did you have them with mayonaise?

The crepes are also to die for in paris.. Especially the ones with nutella ;)

Monmartre is very nice, the nicest view in Paris ( yes it even tops the Eifel tower ;) )

enjoy!!

Julie, do you have the information of the tour name and company your family chose for this vacation? I’d love to take note of it so that one day I may see Paris and Switzerland too!

And actually, do you like your experience so far or would your recommend traveling without a tour group? I’ve been to Europe on a tour thing for my senior trip in High school and it was always go-go-go! snap a picture and go! Which is great because you get to see and do so many things but I wondered how it would’ve been like to go on my own.

Anyways, I’d love to get the name of that company! Thanks and enjoy Paris!! =)

I’m reliving my honeymoon now…We went to Paris for 2 weeks and Montmartre/Sacre Couer were our FAVES (along with the Musee D’Orsay) and I ate crepes and meringues and pain au chocolate like they might never be made again.

Sigh…enjoy!

Looks like a fun time!

I never understood the appeal of soggy bread. I ordered onion soup once before and thought, they it’ll be good, I love onions, then there was that mushy, soggy, bread. Like someone dropped it in the toilet and then placed it in my bowl. Blech! And yet, so many people LOVE that stuff.

7. Britta Crawford says

Hi Julie! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog! I read it every day! I wanted to thankyou for posting from Europe. I have really enjoyed reading about your adventures and seeing the beautiful sights and food! :) I was in Paris in 2007 and I can’t even count how many crepes with nutella and banana I had…DELISH!! Enjoy every minute!

I’ve done that Illumination Tour…it was cool to see Paris all lit up at night. I am not sure what you will have time for but you should go to the Rodin Museum. That was my favorite one in Paris…scultpure art is always fascinating to me!!!