Montmartre

We arrived in Paris safe and sound yesterday in the early evening.

paris 253

Exciting!!!

After unloading our luggage, we quickly met our tour group back in the hotel lobby to depart for an evening trip to Montmartre, a hill north of Paris that is packed with adorable shops, cafes and restaurants.

Our bus dropped us off at the bottom of the hill where we took a little tram up to the top.

paris 206

Once there, we had the opportunity to walk around, grab dinner and explore. It felt so good to be off the tour bus and taking in the sights of such an adorable place.

paris 040

paris 044

The view from the top of the hill was amazing! I was shocked at just how densely populated the city of Paris appeared to be from high above.

As we explored the area, the shops that repeatedly caught our eye weren’t the ones selling souvenirs. We were drawn to the creperies and pastry shops!

paris 209

paris 207

Though we were tempted to order a crepe on the spot, we talked ourselves into sitting down to enjoy dinner at an outdoor café first.

Dinner

paris 218

When I walked by a table of people and saw two of them enjoying the most fantastic-looking large bowls of French onion soup at the café, I knew what I wanted to order!

My soup came topped with a ton of the most thick and delicious cheese!

paris 211

paris 217

The bread served underneath the cheese layer was also fantastic. I fell in love with this soup!

I also enjoyed my fair share of French fries my family shared and had a few bites of everyone’s entrees.

paris 212

paris 213

paris 214

My mom and sister’s Croque monsieur and Croque madame sandwiches were a hit!

Dessert

After dinner, it was crepe time!

paris 219

Per your advice, a Nutella and banana crepe was ordered and devoured!

paris 220

Oh my gosh, this thing was so good! Crepes from Paris really do live up to all the hype.

Let’s just say I had another one before 11 a.m. today! Winking smile

Since we all shared the crepe, we still had room for round two of dessert and popped into a gelato shop where I ordered a cup of Toblerone gelato.

paris 222

Illumination Tour

Once everyone from our tour group met back up again, we boarded the bus for an Illumination Tour of Paris at night.

paris 236

Paris is incredibly beautiful with all the lights of the city shining.

paris 244

The brief Illumination Tour left us feeling extra excited to see all the sights of Paris this morning!

And that’s where I’ll leave off for now. Smile I’ll be back soon with a recap of today!

Comments

Hey Julie – so glad you’re having such a wonderful time in Europe!! :) Let me know if you’d like to do a little blogger meetup in London – you must have quite a few Euro readers!!

Your comment on the dense population reminds me of NYC. The first time I went to the top of the Empire State Building was at night. The view literally took my breath away. I couldn’t believe how far the lights stretched out.

Tres jealous of your crepes, by the way. I used to make them all the time in French class. Mmmmmm

3. Margaret says

If ya’ll by chance happen to go to Les Invalides (where Napoleon I is buried) in Paris, will you please take a picture? He is my all time favorite historical figure! Have a great time!

4. Emily says

I am really enjoying your pics and your tales. Make sure to save room for a “gaufre” outside of the Louvre. I got one stuffed with Nutella and bananas when I was there. To DIE for!! :)

While you’re in Paris, if you have a chance, you absolutely must go to Cafe Sully. It’s right on the corner of Quai Henry VI, before you cross Pont Sully to go to Ile St-Louis. Not only does do they have an amazing basic green salad, but they have the best fries I had the entire time I was in Paris. And on Ile St-Louis you’ll find My Berry, which is a fro yo shop, if you’re interested.

Julie my dear, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh , I have been reading your posts since you have been away, and I MUST do a trip like this in the future! I really want to!!! I think you and Ryan should go back again too for a wedding anny!!!

U have been having so much fun! love it!!!

I wish I had a blog when I went to Europe.. it will be so nice for you to look back on your trip!

It’s almost hard to appreciate all the beauty and amazing food in such a short period of time.. it’s like sensory overload!

8. Holly @ The Runny Egg says

The gelato and crepe look so fantastic! oh my gosh. Same with the croque madame and monsieur — I recently learned on Paula Deen’s show that the egg on top make it a Madame since females have eggs! I thought it was hilarious.

Montmarte is one of the cutest areas of Paris. I just loved it. I wish I would have gone multiple times during my stay. And I’m not a crepe fan *unless* the crepe is from Paris!

Cute dress / sweater combo!

Hi Julie,
    I love following your blog and have really enjoyed all of your posts during your time in Europe. I was wondering if you could share what tour company you and your family have been with?

I LOVE Paris!! I went in 2009 and we did a bike tour at night, which ended with a boat ride with wine on the Seine. Probably my favorite part of the trip; besides the food of course!

loving all of this!
    how are you liking the actual tour group/tour you’re on? do you reccommend them? (what company is it?) would you reccommend it for a honeymoon? or would you say it’s better to go on your own?

13. Xaarlin @ pain is nothing says

Oh my gosh! I love your photos!! Makes me want to go back to europe.

What kind of camera are you using? The colors are so vivid!

Enjoy the trip!

14. Rachelle says

You are in my all time favorite city! I love Paris! You really should try and Lemon/Sugar Crepe, it is heavenly! And that soup… wow! it looks SO Good! I know what I’m making for dinner!!

I am stuyding abroad in Paris this fall and I am truly excited – can’t wait! This post is getting me pumped!

Your pictures look gorgeous – did you recently change your camera?!!

16. Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission says

Ahhh! It is my DREAM to go to Paris! And you ate french onion soup among le french 😉 lucky girl! It looks ridiculously good. All of the food you’re posting looks ridiculously good!

17. Kate @ NaturaStride says

Ah! French Pastries! Nutella Crepes! French Onion Soup! Croque Sandwiches! Gelato! Illumination Tour! It all looks amazing! I am totally vicariously living through you this week.

18. Megan@Dirty Dishes Daily says

That Croque monsieur look incredible. Anything with a egg on it is ok with me. :)

19. CT in BOS says

While I love your blog and read it daily, I’m really in love with these European posts as the hubby and I are planning our belated honeymoon!! Thank you for sharing and all of the photos – beautiful!

ps – I love both of you and your sister’s necklaces in this post – where are they from? You both are so stylish!

20. SaraRM says

Ok…NOW I am incredibly jealous! I have been to Paris twice and LOVED LOVED LOVED IT! There is absolutely no replacing the french onion soup and nutella crepes there.! awww i want both soooo bad

I LOVED Montmarte! Did you see the people sketching pictures? I had my face sketched. :-)

Ah, and I loved Paris at night! Did you see the Eiffel Tower light up as if there were hundreds of people taking pictures off of the tower?

Sorry, I get really excited about Paris! 😛

22. Vivianne says

I’ve always wanted to go to Paris… I speak a little French and I’ve always wanted to see the Eiffel Tower at night… It’s on my bucket list (;

It looks like you are enjoying every minute of your trip! That crepe sound SO GOOD. I’m crazy jealous 😛

23. Lindsey says

Looks like you’re having some wonderful weather over there! You will have to let us know what Tour Line you used, it looks like a fantastic trip!

24. Chelsea M says

It looks like you and your family are having an amazing time! I hope that when you go home you will share with us what tour group you worked with I would love it for a future reference!

Also that French Onion Soup looks out of this world, enjoy!

That crepe looks AMAZING!! I want want so badly right now! I am a teenage girl and have just started my own blog! If you get a chance to check it out, that would be wonderful and I would be so honored! Thank you for being an inspiration for me to start a blog! -Lauren
    teeneatlive.wordpress.com

26. Allie H. says

Hey Julie! i absolutely L O V E your blog. sometimes i feel like such a stalker! ahah. im supposed to be going to europe this summer. thanks a million for all the great ideas. (: this may sound a little off the wall, but do you eat anything before you workout in the mornings? i prefer it but i can never figure out what to grab that wont make me feel weighed down, is low in calories, and will keep me satisfied till’ breakfast. ?

Oh wow, that food looks amazing…all of it! I haven’t been to Paris yet, but this and all the rest of your posts have me thinking about a Euro trip… 😉

Ah, your pictures and everything are making me so excited about going to Paris! I will be going in about 1.5 months! AHH! Can’t believe it. Glad you seem to be having a wonderful time! (The food looks soooo good too!)

29. ellalinea says

Those french fries loooook amazing!! Did you have them with mayonaise?

The crepes are also to die for in paris.. Especially the ones with nutella 😉

Monmartre is very nice, the nicest view in Paris ( yes it even tops the Eifel tower 😉 )

enjoy!!

Julie, do you have the information of the tour name and company your family chose for this vacation? I’d love to take note of it so that one day I may see Paris and Switzerland too!

And actually, do you like your experience so far or would your recommend traveling without a tour group? I’ve been to Europe on a tour thing for my senior trip in High school and it was always go-go-go! snap a picture and go! Which is great because you get to see and do so many things but I wondered how it would’ve been like to go on my own.

Anyways, I’d love to get the name of that company! Thanks and enjoy Paris!! =)

I’m reliving my honeymoon now…We went to Paris for 2 weeks and Montmartre/Sacre Couer were our FAVES (along with the Musee D’Orsay) and I ate crepes and meringues and pain au chocolate like they might never be made again.

Sigh…enjoy!

Looks like a fun time!

I never understood the appeal of soggy bread. I ordered onion soup once before and thought, they it’ll be good, I love onions, then there was that mushy, soggy, bread. Like someone dropped it in the toilet and then placed it in my bowl. Blech! And yet, so many people LOVE that stuff.

33. Britta Crawford says

Hi Julie! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog! I read it every day! I wanted to thankyou for posting from Europe. I have really enjoyed reading about your adventures and seeing the beautiful sights and food! :) I was in Paris in 2007 and I can’t even count how many crepes with nutella and banana I had…DELISH!! Enjoy every minute!

I’ve done that Illumination Tour…it was cool to see Paris all lit up at night. I am not sure what you will have time for but you should go to the Rodin Museum. That was my favorite one in Paris…scultpure art is always fascinating to me!!!