Begin with Hush Puppies

You know a meal is going to be a good one when it begins with hush puppies!

Last night Ryan and I headed to Fin’s, a seafood restaurant located right along the beach on Jekyll Island.

Once we were seated, we were greeted by our waitress who introduced herself with a tin full of hush puppies for our table in hand.

Hush puppies in lieu of a bread basket works for me!

We then placed our drink orders before deciding on our main meals.

Did you guys know my husband is a badass?

Our entrées came with a side salad. I ordered mine with a balsamic vinaigrette dressing that was nice and light.

I knew heading into the restaurant that massive amounts of seafood were in my future, so my entrée of choice was a pound of crab legs!

I ate them all like a champ and also ate about half of the corn and crab chowder that Ryan ordered along with his main course.

We couldn’t leave without ordering dessert, so Ryan and I decided to split a large bowl of peach cobbler with vanilla bean ice cream.

I honestly think I could go to Fin’s and eat a round of the hush puppies and a bowl of the peach cobbler and leave a happy girl.

Do we really have to leave today?

We’ve absolutely loved our time on Jekyll Island. It’s the kind of place that you can come to and do absolutely nothing but relax on the beach or you can run around like a crazy person, biking, kayaking, horse back riding and exploring. The island is small (only 7 1/2 miles long!), so it’s perfect for a short weekend getaway. There are other neighboring islands nearby that Ryan and I would probably venture off to explore had we been here longer.

Time to hit the road. We have a crazy dog waiting for us at my parents’ house who needs our lovin’!

P.S. The Fashion page was updated!

Comments

Are hush puppies like doughnut holes? I’ve never had them before! I’ve always associated hush puppies with a type of shoe.

Your trip looks so beautiful! Maybe someday me and my future-husband could go there!

2. Niki (Life's a Payne) says

I have no idea what a hush puppy is either… I have heard them talked about but I never knew what they were

Sadie is going to be so excited to see you! My fave part of my trip is seeing my dogs go CRAZY when I get home!

I’m so glad you had a fun time at Jekyll Island. I honestly have never heard of it (geography has never been my forte) but after hearing about your trip if I had the chance to visit I definitely would! So, thank you for that 🙂

Your/your sister’s Anthro-esque dress is super cute! I’m a huge fan of anthropologie but not all of their prices! So I’m always looking for that style of clothing at a fraction of the price!

Hope all is well!
    xo

This restaurant and me would work well together! Believe it or not, I have a separate seafood stomach and another stomach for dessert ;)! This might be a silly question but what are hush puppies filled with??

5. Jenny says

I actually just had to google what a “hush puppy” was. How have I never heard of “a savory, starch-based food made from cornmeal batter that is deep fried or baked in small ball or sphere shapes, or occasionally oblong or ring shapes.” (a la Wikipedia). That sounds like heaven!

Sounds like y’all had the perfect summer day. There really is something so comforting about little seafood joints, no?

Happy Sunday, PBF!

I have never had a hush puppy!

I totally saw a Vizsla at my race this morning and immediately thought of you! They are definitely much smaller than the pictures look. Even in person, they look miniaturized. Still adorable!

I never realized that Hush Puppies were more than just a brand of shoe until I came down south… then, I realized they were a way of life.

You were a seafood machine this weekend, hope it was as perfect as the pictures made it out to be!!

okay, i too have never had hushpuppies or knew that they were edibles and not just footwear! are they a sweet kind of bread treat like donuts or more like saltier other fried foods? i’m intrigued!

either way the food all looked delicious, especially that dessert! i always get kinda bummed out at the end of any vacation too, but you both had a blast, got tons of pix, and plus sadie’s eagerly awaiting your return! have a fun drive back! 🙂

You know, I just realized that the ONLY time I ever get to eat hushpuppies is on vacation at the beach in North Carolina. I don’t know why more “regular” (aka, non-beach restaurants) don’t serve them…because they are dang good!

Glad you had a good time! Enjoy the Sadie hugs 🙂

10. Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn says

Ohhh my goodness, if you are ever on the Eastern Shore of virginia GO TO BIG FISH’S! They have the bestttt hush puppies in the world, and the most spectacular pecan pie I have ever. had. I am so glad you two had a good time!!

When I was little, slurpies were known to me as “Hush Puppies”, slush with flavoured syrup.I would always have them after hockey games at the arena (up here in Canada)…your version sounds much more appetizing!

Aw, I love hush puppies! Pretty much anything with corn meal is delicious. 🙂

That looks like such a wonderful weekend. I can’t wait to go on trips with my husband when he gets home.

13. Lindsay says

Random, but do you do Father’s Day gifts for grandfathers? Between my husband and I, we have 4 grandpas (not to mention 2 dads and 2 brothers that are dads), so I am always looking for inexpensive, thoughtful gifts for the men! Ideas? Post? 🙂 🙂

I’ve never had hush puppies before, but after seeing yours I’m thinking I might have to get my hands on one in the near future! Sounds like a great place to visit! I really, really, REALLY need a vacation! Get home safely!

I didn’t the term “hush puppies”! What is it exactly?
    The place is great, when I see this beautiful sky and the rain pouring down my window, I’m so jealous! ^^

16. Alexis says

Looks like such a fun trip!! I’m headed down to Jekyll next weekend for my best friend’s wedding- which one restaurant would you recommend we eat dinner at?? Thanks!!

17. Mary says

When we visited Charleston S.C. the tour guide told us the history of the hush puppy. The kitchens used to be separate from the homes to prevent fire in the old mansions. When the cooks brought the food from the kitchen building to the home the dogs used to follow the cooks barking all the way. The cooks made little balls of corn meal and fed them to the dogs to keep them from barking and thus named them “hush puppies”

I’ve had hush puppies only ONCE, but I’d definitely say it’s time for more! Looks like you two are having a great time!

xoxo
    Mk

ps: love your bikini top…