Two Urban Licks

Last night I had one of the best meals of my life. Seriously. Of my life.

two urban licks atlanta 029

two urban licks atlanta 008

Ryan and I joined our friends Terry and Janelle and Terry’s younger sister Caitlin for dinner at Two Urban Licks, a “fiery American restaurant,” located in Atlanta.

two urban licks atlanta 025

two urban licks atlanta 024

When we arrived, we were immediately escorted to a table with a view near the back patio. Since it was pouring outside when we arrived, the patio was closed off, but about three quarters of the way through our meal, the glass walls of the restaurant opened up to allow us to dine inside, but outside at the same time. The atmosphere was awesome and we could see the city skyline from our table.

two urban licks atlanta 028

So neat!

Once we were seated, our waiter, Jason, greeted us and immediately and took our drink orders.

When I learned that Two Urban Licks had a variety of different wines on tap, I was immediately intrigued. We saw the 42 steel barrels holding the various wines as we walked to our table, but I wasn’t sure exactly what they were until Jason enthusiastically explained their uniqueness to us.

I ordered a fruity sparkling wine that I practically chugged.

two urban licks atlanta 015

I love fruity wines like Riesling and absolutely adored my sparkling wine that Jason recommended. It was like candy in a glass.

We all sipped our drinks (Ryan tried two of their infused cocktails and they were delicious as well) and enjoyed a large round of appetizers.

Salmon chips (short smoked salmon, chipotle cream cheese, capers, red onions):

two urban licks atlanta 010

Tuna tartare (Ryan’s favorite):

two urban licks atlanta 014

Duck and dumplings (gnocchi, shitake mushroom, bok choy, candied pecans, wasabi cream):

two urban licks atlanta 009

Every single appetizer was fantastic. There wasn’t one I didn’t enjoy, but there was one that took the cake.

Calamari.

two urban licks atlanta 012

Hands down the most fantastic calamari I’ve ever had. It was slightly sweet and served with a wasabi aioli that added just the right amount of spice and flavor. I am honestly sad just thinking that I won’t be able to order this in Orlando sometime.

Our whole table also raved about our entrees. I selected the bronzed scallops that were served with gouda grits, pico de gallo and a smoked tomato broth.

two urban licks atlanta 018

The scallops were delicious, but the smoked gouda grits stole my heart. I practically licked my plate clean. When you’re in Georgia, you gotta get grits and Two Urban Licks knows how to make ‘em.

The good food kept coming when our table shard a bunch of different desserts.

Key lime popsicle:

two urban licks atlanta 021

Peach cobbler:

two urban licks atlanta 022

Crème brulee:

two urban licks atlanta 023

And my person favorite… the carrot cake:

two urban licks atlanta 020

Honestly, our experience at Two Urban Licks could not have been any better. The food was off-the-charts amazing, the service from our knowledgeable and friendly waiter Jason was attentive and upbeat and the atmosphere was vibrant. Five gold stars!

two urban licks atlanta 026

Our waiter is in the middle of this picture in the black t-shirt. Doesn’t he just look like a blast!?

It was truly a fantastic night. Can you tell I am loving Atlanta already?

I’m hoping the fun continues today!

P.S. The Fashion page was updated!

Comments

1. Elizabeth says

Atlanta is on my list of places to visit really soon. I’m putting this place on my Atlanta list solely for those desserts. They look INSANE.

Took me SO much self control from biting my computer screen…or trying to at least. Does Sadie ever do that to you when she sees posts like this? I’m sure that would’ve been the best calamari she’d ever tasted too 😉

Glad you enjoyed yourselves!!

That food looks amaaaaazing! Wines on tap? How cool! I am pretty sure I would go crazay in a restaurant like that. Can you imagine Ramona from the Real Housewives (loves pinot) at that restaurant? She’d probably be standing below the pinot tap and going wild! Anyway, if I visit Atlanta, I’ll definitely hit up Two Urban Licks.

4. leslie says

Wow! Everything sounds amazing! My mouth is watering at 8:30 am…ps daddy is home with Sadie so you don’t worry! Have fun today! Can’t wait to read about it!

Best meal of your LIFE?! Wow, must have been perfect! What a fun-filled evening!

I would have definitely gone for the carrot cake…mmm!

Have a super fabulous Saturday!

Julie! I live in ATL and you picked a great place to go – I love Two Urban Licks! Also – I got engaged at the Rtiz you’re staying at 🙂 Let me know if you need any more recs, but it looks like you’ve got it covered!

I’m so glad that you guys are having a blast in Atlanta! I totally agree with the previous commenter, a great waiter can make a dining experience super awesome! It makes you want to keep coming back. That peach cobbler and carrot cake- YUM! =] xoxo

Your scallops entree looks to-die-for amazing. I’ve never tried grits, but always wanted to. I am so glad you are having a good time in Atlanta, and I hope you guys have an unbelievable weekend!

9. Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life says

That whole meal looks amazing! And your waiter looks like he was having a blast with you guys.

Just throwing this out there: does anyone else think the waiter looks like a brunette version of Ryan??

I visit ATL a lot… Will have to try that place out sometime!

Looks like such a fun restaurant, and the view is awesome. I love the indoor/outdoor seating idea. I’m not sure when I have become such a dessert junkie but everything looks soooooo amazing! I am thinking I need some peach cobbler and carrot cake stat!

12. Laura says

That all looks amazing! I went to Two Urban Licks for the first time this week – had four of the vegetable side dishes instead of an entree. I liked the grits, but I gotta tell you… I actually think Flying Biscuit’s are better.

So glad you’re having a great time in Atlanta so far. I hope swimming with the whale sharks is fun too!

13. Yolie @ Practising Wellness says

Oh my goodness, that meal looks incredible! Particularly the salmon and tuna dishes…I was salivating as soon as I read the words smoked salmon! 🙂 I don’t actually know what grits are…definitely don’t have those in the UK….the only grit we have is the little rocks on the pavement, lol! 😛 xyx

14. Yolie @ Practising Wellness says

Reisling is my absolute favourite wine too – it is soo easy to drink (probably not a good thing :-P) kind of reminds me of drinking sweet grape juice. With the added feel good benefit of alcohol 😉 xyx

Awwwww, you’re making me miss home! I grew up in Atl, but now live on the West Coast.

Two Urban Licks is just one of the many many great places to eat. There’s also One Midtown Kitchen, Rathbun’s, Canoe, Bones, Nava, The Flying Biscuit, etc etc… I could go on and on!

Can’t wait to hear about what you guys do next! Aquarium, perhaps?? It’s outstanding. Have fun!

OMG so much delicious-looking food! Calamari is my weakness. I could just pop the entire plate into my mouth…

And the dessert!!! If I ever go to Atlanta, I’ll definitely be going to two urban licks 🙂

WoW. It’s 10 a.m. and my mouth is watering for calamari! And those salmon chips look amazing. I love tuna tartare too….I’d better get some breakfast before I eat the keyboard!

18. Brittney says

I went to college in Atlanta and this is BY FAR my favorite restaurant of all time. Every time you go back the menu is different and I have never had anything that I did not like there.

The same restaurant group also owns ONE Midtown Kitchen, also amazing, and a very different feel. So jealous you are there, I miss it so much.

19. Lee @ In The Pink of Condition says

Oh my gosh, wine on tap from a barrel…that sounds like my dream restaurant! If only they had Two Urban Licks in NYC! <3

20. Lindsey says

So, as a former Atlantan, I am a big fan of Two. It was a “go-to” for many girls nights and just for a fun Friday night out. Here’s a link to an AJC article with the recipe for the Smoked salmon chips so you can try making them at home! http://projects.eveningedge.com/recipes/smoked-salmon-chips/

It’s the closest I can come to having them now that I live in Louisiana! Also, next time you HAVE to try the lamb lollipops as an appetizer. I CRAVE them all them time ! Enjoy your time in Atlanta, I’m jealous 🙂 If you need an Italian restaurant for dinner- go to La Tavola in Virginia Highlands. Hands down the most amazing Italian in the city. Authentic, cozy atmosphere without being pretentious. And the neighborhood is fun to walk around as well !

21. Carly says

Welcome to Atlanta! Try to stop by The Flying Biscuit for brunch — there are several locations in the ATL and they are all fabulous!

22. Nathan Miller says

Wow..Salmon Chips? Sorry it may seem like Im singling out a boring object but thats way innovative and way hip…but everything else looks great….grits + Smoked Gouda Cheese never is a bad combination

23. Megan says

I used to live in Atlanta, and would die to have Souper Jenny’s in my current city–you would love it, great lunch place! Also, Full Cup is a little bakery with fantastic breads and muffins…the “energy bars” are heaven for breakfast.

24. Kristen says

If I’m ever in Atlanta I’m checking that place out, yum!! I think it’s awesome that you and Ryan take little weekend trips when you can…it always looks like you have so much fun together=)

OMG that place looks amazing!! I love sweet wine, especially moscatos and moscato d’astis! Those desserts look soo soo good! I’m def gonna try this place the next time I’m in the ATL

26. Whitney says

Fun fact-Jane Fonda owns that restaurant…or at least, she did in 2009 when I was there. I had the “Big Ass Burger” when I was there and it really did live up to its name.

27. Tressa says

I’m still amazed that you know my sister-in-law and Terry! Too funny! Anyways, it looks like you guys had a BLAST and that place looks flippin’ AMAZING! I want some of…it all! (Especially the desserts!) I’ll definitely need to check out that place when I visit Atlanta. YUM

28. Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) says

Ahhhh! I am so glad you ate here! When I saw that you were going to Atlanta, I immediately thought of this restaurant. I knew you would love it! Their appetizers are The Best. And, I agree, their calamari is the best I’ve ever had!

29. Courtney says

I agree! TWO is one my favorite restaurants! I see the door and start drooling thinking about the calamari that awaits me! 🙂 SO GOOD!

Small world…I was cleaning up some old posts, etc. and came across you review of TWO. Easily one of my top 5 favorite restaurants. The salmon chips changed my life. Adding a link to here to my review for good measure:)

Your post today brought me back in time to this post…this makes my heart happy. Atlanta = home. I used to live within walking distance of two urban licks, and miss it terribly. The food/restaurant scene in Atlanta is SO underrated!