Chewy Granola Bar Bites

I’ve been karate chopping my to-do list today.

• Finish freelance project – Check!
  • Send preliminary PBF t-shirt designs to t-shirt company – Check!
  • Follow up with lawyer about blog stuff – Check!

Woo!

Part of finishing up my freelance project involved baking.

granola bites 009

Chewy Granola Bar Bites (Makes six bites)

Ingredients:

• 1 c. old fashion oats
  • ¼ c. packed brown sugar
  • ¾ tsp. pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon will also work)
  • 2 tbsp. chia seeds
  • 2 tbsp. ground flax seeds
  • ¾ tsp. baking powder
  • ¼ tsp. salt
  • 1 egg white
  • ½ c. milk

Directions:

• Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line muffin tin with paper cups
  • Combine oats, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, chia seeds, baking powder and salt
  • Stir in milk and egg white into oat mixture
  • Divide batter among six muffin cups
  • Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until batter is fully set

granola bites 007

I made the granola bites by mixing traditional granola bar ingredients (plus some fun extras!) and dividing the batter into a muffin tin. A fun alternative to granola bars, these bites are moist, dense and perfectly portable.

Lunch

Before I knew it, lunchtime arrived!

Since I did quite a bit of snacking on the granola bites, I wasn’t starving, but I still wanted to eat something since I’m going to be out of the apartment for the rest of the afternoon.

A smoothie bowl was the perfect midday meal.

smoothie bowl 004

I made myself a chocolate-covered strawberry smoothie and it hit the spot!

A cold lunch was just what the doctor ordered. I spent about an hour working from my laptop in the backyard this afternoon so Sadie could run around and came inside feeling quite sweaty… and totally annihilated by mosquitos.

I am seriously a bulls eye for bugs. Ryan and I will be sitting in the backyard and I’ll come inside with 20 mosquito bites (Seriously!) and he’ll have none. It’s maddening.

Gotta run!

Comments

Ooooo those bites sound great for work!!

Thats so funny you mention the mosquitos because my son with get eaten alive but my daughter won’t have any… and they will play right next to eachother too..how strange

I just randomly came across your blog. I am from Chicago and now live in Orlando as well! And I too have been a mosquito target lately. They seem to be everywhere!

The granola bites look delicious. I’ll have to try it!

3. Robyn says

One thing I like a whole about your recipes is the quantity. As someone who could go-to-town on baked goods, it’s great to see a total quantity of only 6 granola bites, or 6 muffins and not 24 or a whole dozen! Thanks!

I love granola bites and chewy ones are my favorite. I’m bookmarking this recipe right now. I think I’ll make them tomorrow and throw some dried cranberries and chocolate chips into the batter. Yum! 😀

One thing I don’t miss after moving away from Florida- mosquitos!! I used to get bit up so bad! Luckily in Vegas bugs are pretty much nonexistent!! I went back to south florida for a wedding in May and was outside for a maximum of 15 minutes and had 10-20 bug bites!! They love me! and I def don’t love them back!!

I really like how you make recipes with smaller servings. When I make something that has a full 12 or more pieces. .. I feel really bad eating ALL of them. Eating 6 of something is a little more manageable! 😉

7. Lindsey says

The granola bites look delicious! I get attacked by mosquitos too. I’m currently trying not to scratch one on my foot!

8. Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn says

Ahhhh yum! I am so scared of mosquitoes. I don’t know how I live at my lakehouse in NH, but they are eeeeverywhere! I think they’re attracted to my blonde hair..just sayin.

I love you! Granola bites…such a great recipe! Can’t wait to try!

Excited for the shirts!

I had a smoothie for lunch too only it did NOT come out too good! Hate it when that happens! So I drank it anyway, of course, I hate wasting food! Then I had a pb stuffed date and some blueberries.

Mosquito bites in the middle of the day? Lucky for me, I I’m like Ryan and mosquitoes aren’t attracted to me!

10. Sarah says

Hi Julie! Gosh, i don’t even know where to start! I just wanna thank you for what you do everyday, making this blog what it is- LOTS O’ FUN!! i’m not a blogger, but i love healthy living blogs. I have a family history of high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke, and heart attack. Out of my siblings, i am the one who is most likely to have these problems. I used to be obese- 131 lb. at 10 years old! Now i’m 14 and 115, which is still a little over, but I feel great. When i started my weight loss, i found out about Kath Eats Real Food, then Chocolate Covered Katie. On CCK, I discovered PBF. Now i am an addict! Oh, and on your blog i found Sweet Tooth! Anyway thanks for everything! You are such an inspiration to me and countless others. I may even have my own blog one day, if God has it in the works for me. God bless!

11. Emilee says

Hi Julie- Just wondering what kind of milk you used? (whole, skim, non-dairy?). and can I make these without Chia seeds?? I dont have any 🙁 🙁

Thanks!

12. Sarah says

BTW- ever since i saw your post for peanut butter granola, i can’t stop making it! i make it in huge batches for my breakfast parfaits. Well, this morning i knew i wanted some, but i wanted to do something new. I didn’t have any alternative nut butters on hand and I was out of chocolate(BUMMER). Then i remembered the fruit preserves that my dad bought yesterday. LIGHT BULB MOMENT! I said to myself, “Self, why not peanut butter and jelly granola?” So, I followed the recipe as usual, except in place of honey i put in strawberry preserves and baked it at ten minutes- DELISH! i loved the bits of fruit and the sweetness was perfect. I love this recipe becaude it is so versatile!

Those granola bites look so good! I think I would probably eat all of them in one sitting though. 😉

I am totally with you on the bug bite thing! I’ll be outside and get completely bit up but my fiance is fine. I don’t get it. Maybe it’s cause we are sweeter. 🙂

14. Megan says

I get such crazy bug bites too! I have no idea why, but my husband is just like Ryan and very rarely get them. Sometimes I even get them in bed – like 20 of them – which TOTALLY creeps me out!

I’m the same way with bugs! Daniel will not have any at all, and I’ll be covered in mosquito bites! I tell him it’s because I’m sweeter haha. I read somewhere that if you carry a dryer sheet in your pocket the mosquitoes will stay away, but I’ve yet to try it.

Those granola bar bites look delicious! I had a big smoothie for lunch, too – mango blueberry. It definitely hit the spot on this hot day.

I’m the exact same way with mosquito bites….I swear, if there is one within a 20 mile radius of me, it will find me somehow….:P

Oh and those granola bites look amazing!

17. Kathy says

Try spritzing yourself with a bottle of water that you have added tea tree oil to. It works like a charm, also keeps away the bees.

18. Jessica A. says

Julie,
    I am a “soon-to-be” lawyer (I will graduate from Notre Dame Law School next spring) considering trying to combine my love of fitness blogs and bloggers like yourself who don’t have a huge amount of funding “yet” but whom need some sort of legal protection with my career path.
    I was just wondering- what sort of work is your lawyer doing for you?
    Is it IP/copyright protection?
    Contracts with your sponsors?
    Does your lawyer work primarily with personal bloggers?
    Where did you find your lawyer?
    Sorry for the question bombardment!

19. Courtney @ Girl In The Pink says

Mmm.. I’m off to my kitchen to make these. I am out of eggs so I am going to try it with a “flax egg”

Thanks for sharing!

20. Yolie @ Practising Wellness says

Nice work for ninja-kicking your to-do list! 🙂
    Dude, I feel ya on the susceptibility to bites – in NZ they have these evil bugs called Sand Flies, and they are HORRIBLE! They ate me alive, lol! Whilst Tom went unharmed…how?!
    Apparently they don’t like the taste of marmite (aka: vegemite) and if you eat lots of it they don’t bite you! Funny! 🙂 xyx

Mmmm those granola bar bites sound delicious!

I feel your pain with the bites – bugs don’t normally like me but I was backcountry hiking in Yosemite last week and they went to town on me! I still have them everywhere and they’re sooo itchy, so big sympathy if you’re always victimized!

I thought these were delicious! I made them right after reading this post because it just so happened I was hungry for an afternoon snack as I read this. Great timing 🙂

I heard vanilla extract drives mosquitoes away!! or maybe anything vanilla? I think I saw that on The Drs.! 🙂

& the bar bites look so yummy!

24. Katy says

Just made these without chia seeds but added some natural peanut butter and sprinkled with dark chocolate chips ( ok maybe stirred some into the batter too for extra chocolatey-ness!)

25. Amanda Jewell @ Science&Bananas says

i’m the same way with mosquitos! thank god i live on the west coast now where there’s like 1 mosquito for every 100 miles.. lol
    my mom used to say they were attracted to me b/c my blood was so sweet! … i’d rather my blood be sour 🙂

I’m the same way with bugs!! It has driven me nuts my whole life! Not only do I get 82 more bites than everyone else…but they swell up to 5x a normal bite too (terrible when it’s front and center on my forehead!- that’s happened!).

I’m going to try those granola bites they look d-lish and I have all the ingredients- Score!

27. Jessica says

Yummy Granola bites!! You’re smoothies always look SO delicious!! What kind of blender do you use? I want to make some of the recipes you have, but I know the little blender I have would never be able to make them.

Whenever I complain about looking diseased from all the mosquito bites, my dad will, without missing a beat, say, it’s because I’m so sweet. Cheesy, I know, but apparently there is some truth to it. Some people just smell like they taste better. I’m going to start eating raw garlic in hopes that it will deter those pests.

The mosquitoes seem to be tag-teaming on us because I am covered in bites! And as elementary as it sounds, I really think it is a case of the bed bites because I can’t remember the last time I sat actually sat outside!

Hey Julie I’m def not trying to solicit by telling you this but my dad invented an environmentally friendly mosquito trap that would really help keep mosquitos out of your yard and off of you! It’s called BiteBack, & you can find it on our website bitebackllc.com . We’ve had them Out at our house & lake house for almost ten yrs and we don’t have mosquitoes anymore.

I also have to agree that I like recipes that have small serving sizes. Just enough for a snack and then I can move on! Not just because I hate having a ton of extra left over, but because I crave things in waves. So then I can just bake something else entirely different the next day!