Spaghetti Squash Seeds

I wasn’t sure what I wanted to make for dinner tonight. I wasn’t really craving anything in particular (other than my favorite two-ingredient pumpkin spice cookies), so I opened up the pantry and grabbed the first thing  that caught my eye.

A big ol’ spaghetti squash! (<—Well hello there old, grainy pictures!)

spaghetti squash with marinara sauce 001

After 40 minutes in a 375-degree oven, we had spaghetti “noodles.”

I reheated some of this weekend’s secret sauce, meatballs and Italian sausage to pour on top, along with some Romano cheese.

spaghetti squash with marinara sauce 003

This sauce is so stinkin’ good.

spaghetti squash with marinara sauce 004

When I took the spaghetti squash out of the oven, I noticed that a couple of the seeds from the squash were accidentally cooked. I ate one and thought it tasted delicious! Just like pumpkin seeds!

Naturally, I baked the remaining seeds for a nice little post-dinner snack.

spaghetti squash with marinara sauce 006

I forgot about them in the oven until they were a little too cooked, but they were still tasty.

And now I need to do something about that pumpkin spice cookie craving…

Comments

That spaghetti squash looks amazing! I’m totally gonna try that after my weekend at my boyfriend’s college living apartment (that is not a place that welcomes spaghetti squash – or any real cooking of any kind, since he has like 7 roommates!).

2. Mallory @ It's Only Life, After All says

i still have yet to try spaghetti squash! it will have to happen one of these days

3. Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled says

Love spaghetti squash. It’s so tasty and versatile.

I made the cookies the other day! I couldn’t find a spice cake mix so I added pumpkin spice and cinnamon to the batter. Oh yeah, and a bunch of dark chocolate chips. So yummy!

I like spaghetti squash too! I usually bake mine in the microwave. Just cut it in half and put it face down in a little water! Now that’s it fall, my husband and I have been craving squashes. I’m looking around for a good acorn squash creamy soup… anyone have any suggestions?

5. Laura Brock says

I’ve got to try this! I made your pumpkin spice cookies the other day (added a LITTLE sugar to them- oops) and they were delicious…especially warmed up with ice cream. I basically made something healthy unhealthy but oh well.

Also- I’m starting out my blog and really like your blog talk- thanks for the tips!

6. Danielle Spellman @ Squirrel Snackin' says

I made spaghetti squash last night for lunch at work today!! 🙂 So good! I mix it with cottage cheese and marinara sometimes and it’s a little bit like lasagna.

I just made a tasty spaghetti squash casserole! I noticed that the seeds looked just like pumpkin seeds and thought about roasting them. I wish I would have now! I will have to next time.

YAY for spaghetti squash..and I JUST got it in my produce box the other day..perfect. Gosh, a week later and I’m still so jealous of that meat sauce. You are so lucky.

Oh and just a little tip, when I make spaghetti squash I usually sautee onions in a pan with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and then add the cooked spaghetti squash and heat it up for a bit to give it a tad more flavor. Just an idea! 🙂

9. Al. says

I jst thought id tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog. seriously, it puts a smile on my face everytime i read it. Healthy living blogs have truly changed my life, but I always seem to find my way back to peanut butter fingers. Sorry if i sound like a major creeper haha, but it’s so, so true! Your such a fantastic writer and very blessed to have such a talent. You’ve made me a healthier, more secure rendition of myself after going through some tough times; and for that i thank you.

Oh, and I love the addition of miscellaneous seeds (butternut/spaghetti squash work best) baked into granola! Yum. 🙂

10. Katherine says

OK weird! Not only did I make spaghetti squash with marinara sauce for dinner, but I also roasted the seeds!

Adding a touch of soy sauce, olive oil, and chili powder before roasting makes the seeds SO delicious and addicting.

I have been craaaaaving spaghetti squash something fierce lately! I’m slowly working on convincing the boyfriend to accept the idea that it tastes just as good, if not better, than pasta 🙂

I wandered over to your link for those pumpkin cookies. Holy yum. I cannot wait to make these! 🙂

12. J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) says

Yum, the spaghetti squash and sauce looks so good.

I’ve never thought about eating the seeds of winter squash, except for pumpkin, of course, lol.

13. Jen W says

Please, please, please…… we want the secret sauce recipe! Or at least send Les to my home to help me make it. I won’t tell a sole……. promise.

14. Amanda@Bluedrishti says

I bake my squash seeds too! I salt them a little and spray with olive oil. Just like the pumpkin seeds you can buy, but way less money.

15. Tracy @ Tracy's Treats says

I really need to buy myself and spaghetti squash! I still have never tried it despite seeing it on so many blogs!

16. Kanoe says

Oh wow that looks so yummy! I would have never thought to use spaghetti squash as actual… spaghetti HAHAHA. I definitely cannot get enough of squash(i.e, yellow squash or even zucchini… Yummy for my Tummy!) so I’ll have to try that. And that pumpkin spice cookie recipe looks so easy so I’ll have to steal that as well & see how it turns out. I love my pumpkin in any form! Thanks for the great blog & interesting tips!

ahhh I always wanted to make spaghetti squash! but I am scared hahah I guess you never know until you try! I will try this weekend and post a new recipe…have you ever had Spaghetti squash bolognese? twist on traditional fave 😉

Omg enjoy the pumpkin spice cookies! I was browsing all recipes the other week and found one for spice cake, pumpkin, and chocolate chips. They were so good! I sent them to Josh’s parents to thank them for my birthday gift and they said they were so good and that they named them mookies, because they taste like a muffin cookie! 😀 I’m going to sub out the chocolate chips next time and sub in the cream cheese frosting you did with yours! Those look delicious!

• B n B says

I do Mookies all the time! I named them mookies on my site before…I didn’t realize others did the same. Although obviously it’s not a new concept clashing names together 😉 Linner anyone?

• says

Oh too funny! So many people think alike! They said they were debating whether mookies or cuffins were a better word for them, and then thought mookies sounded cuter! ;p

Yes, I love linner, I have it wayy too often, mostly because my breakfast is around 11-ish! ;p

19. Sally F says

I must say, I made the pumpkin spice cookies the other day, and they were a huge hit!!

My coworkers devoured them…especially my manager! I was surprised to get an email from him with the subject line: OMG – and then to read that he absolutely loved them and wanted more:) So I brought him in the rest of the batch (he has a major sweet tooth!). Needless to say, this simple recipe – which is just my style – will certainly be made again and again! I love pumpkin:) Thanks for the recipe.

20. Mercedes says

You know, I always wondered if you could bake the seeds like pumpkin seeds… I’ll have to start doing that from now on. I love spaghetti squash! I may just have this for dinner tonight!

I recently just discovered that you can roast seeds from any kind of winter squash… I don’t know why I always threw them away before! I haven’t cooked spaghetti squash since I figured this out though- that will be next!
    I love eating spaghetti squash instead of pasta because it leaves more calories for melting some cheese over the top!

That spaghetti squash looks delicious! I keep seeing it appear on so many people’s blogs. I tried it once and I hated it. I think it’s becaus of the sauce that was on it. I should try it again and prepare it differently. It’s a nice alternative to pasta 🙂

Ah, thank you for this delicious reminder of spaghetti squash!! I was put on a trial-run gluten free diet by my doc to see if I’m a little intolerant, and i’ve been trying to figure out what to do with all of my mom’s homemade sauce that I’m hoarding in my freezer (my fam also has a “secret” Italian recipe, and she made me a big batch a little bit ago).