Stormy Night

Last night it felt like a hurricane was whipping through Ocala.

At around 2:30 a.m., Ryan, Sadie and I awoke to crazy claps of thunder and the brightest lightning strikes I have ever seen.

It rained all weekend in Central Florida. Sadie’s kiddie pool was empty on Friday night and just look at it now!

pumpkin butter pancakes 039

Totally full of rain water. Insane, huh?

When Ryan and I drove to the gym this morning, we had to take three different detours because the roads were flooded. On the bright side, the gym was pretty empty so there was no waiting around for machines once we arrived.

My workout began with 20 minutes of cardio on the elliptical before I completed the following leg workout:

Exercise Total Weights Reps Sets
Squats 85 lbs. 30 3
Squats 85 lbs. 15 1
One-legged leg press 75 lbs. 15 2
One-legged leg press 90 lbs. 15 1
Superset: Deadlifts, Lunges 60 lbs.
30 lbs.
One-legged leg extensions 15 lbs. 15 3

The squats in the beginning were definitely the hardest part of this workout. Squats are never easy for me!

Breakfast this morning was a spin on my oatmeal protein pancakes.

pumpkin butter pancakes 031

I blended the following with an immersion blender to make the pancake batter:

• 2/3 cup oats
  • 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons maple pumpkin butter

pumpkin butter pancakes 037

I wish I could hold off eating breakfast until the sun actually rises for prettier pictures with natural light, but my stomach simply won’t allow it.

The pancakes turned out really well and the pumpkin butter added a touch of fall flavor that I really enjoyed.

Time to get to work. I usually get some freelance stuff done on the weekends, but this weekend I was at my computer for all of 30 minutes. My to-do list is screaming at me!

P.S. The Fashion page was updated this morning.

Comments

1. Annie says

the wind and rain were ridiculous last night all over central florida. a friend said it was gusting to 70mph on the coast!

what is an immersion blender (pardon my lack of knowledge…

More than squats, lunges kill me! I try to start my leg workouts with those to get them out of the way, and end with my fave: leg press :-)! Have a productive day, Julie!

3. Tami says

It the 85 pounds including the bar? I love so much tat you make strength training such a priority in your workouts, I wish other women did the same

It rained here this weekend for the first time in over 5 months! I about died. Our power went out and everything and I didn’t even care! The rain was glorious!

The storms this summer were absolutely awful. Last week was the first week that we didn’t have any rain! Unfortunately, I think it’s supposed to rain this week at some point.

Breakfast looks tasty! :)

Wow, I bet those squats were killer…and the one-legged leg press! Those things are so hard!! I tried doing them on the hack squat machine (the one where your body moves and not your legs) and I could barely make 10 reps without weight on it! And your breakfast is making me want pancakes haha. Hope you have a great day and good luck getting through your to-do list :)

I can’t believe how much rain there was in Florida this weekend! Good for you for getting up to workout despite it. I always want to stay in bed when it’s raining (or snowing) out!

those pancakes look very yummy! i am loving my immersion blender these days… such a great kitchen tool!

i have a feeling most everything will be pretty empty today with columbus day. should be nice! except for those of us who still have to work :(

I’ll have to try making those pancakes. I just made your pumpkin protein pancakes–good stuff! I thought they’d be too thick after seeing the batter, but they were great. My Dad liked them too. I can’t wait to try the banana ones. Consider this high praise…I don’t really like normal pancakes at all, but protein/oatmeal combos are so good!

10. Heather Trude says

If you don’t have an immersion blender, use a food processor. I make these pancakes about 2-3 times a week and I use my food processor. Just make sure to do the oats first then take them out and pulse the wet ingredients seperately. Add in the oats and pulse… so if you don’t have an immersion blender, don’t sweat it!! :)

I love my immersion blender and use if for so many things. I love how creamy and thick it makes instant pudding.

That leg workout looks like a killer. I’ve been doing your 100 squat challenge and OMG, it makes my hamstrings sore for two days!

12. Carrie Purchase says

I finally tried the 100 squat challenge- I did 40,20,20,20- I guess not too bad for my first time.
    I wanted to give you a tip/suggestion:

Try doing cardio after weights, you will have more energy for weights and burn more fat by doing it that way. Just a suggestion, you can look it up, tons of articles out there!
    Have a great day!

Wow! Think of the positive point, free water in the pool! Na seriously it can be veray scary! But it’s better when you’re safe in your warm bed ^^

14. AmandaCG says

Thank you for posting the weight you do for your strength training! I have been wanting to try some of your workouts but stop short because of not knowing what to shoot for as far as the weigh was concerned!!! Will try this leg workout tomorrow!

It rained all weekend because I was in town!! haha it happens everytime i come to FL, not kidding! We drove past Ocala on our way through but it sure was rainy!
    We went to Clearwater and the beach was super windy it did feel like a hurricane!