She Was an American Girl

Sadie says, “Good morning!”

vizsla 018

She also kindly requests that you all send her packs of chicken jerky, but I told her not to hold her breath on that one.

rude

I hope your Tuesday is off to a great start!

I just checked the weather and apparently evening thunderstorms are expected in our area which makes me oddly happy. I love nighttime rain! It makes being lazy on the couch feel perfectly justified.

I think I may have to make a crock pot dinner this evening to go with the lazy and cozy theme!

Breakfast this morning included two breakfast staples.

american girl magazine 008

Two whole wheat waffles plus two fried eggs seasoned with salt and pepper.

american girl magazine 010

Syrup was added to the waffles once the eggs were consumed. Syrupy eggs just don’t appeal to me. (This coming from the girl who loves egg and jelly sandwiches…)

American Girl

Yesterday I received an awesome catalog in the mail.

american girl magazine 012

American Girl!!!

Okay, so it wasn’t sent to me exactly (it was addressed to the homeowners of our rental house), but it landed in my hands and nostalgic feelings filled my heart.

I used to love American Girl dolls.

I was the proud owner of Samantha.

samantha american girl

I received her as a very special gift when I was younger and cherished her!

For those of you who may be in the dark about American Girl dolls, they are dolls that were first created in the 1980s that portray girls living in various times throughout American history. The dolls are sold with books detailing their random adventures.

american girl dolls

I loved my Samantha doll and remember feeling so excited when the American Girl catalog would arrive in the mail.

One thing I remember about Samantha? I thought she had the most beautiful hair, but it took me years to finally take the bow out of her hair and actually play with it. I was so worried I would ruin her fancy ‘do that, in retrospect, really wasn’t that fancy.

Question of the Morning

• Was there a certain toy you absolutely loved when you were growing up?
  • Did you ever own an American Girl doll?

Comments

1. Anne @strawberryjampackedlife says

Awww. I had Samantha, too. She’s now sitting in her trunk in my closet waiting on a new girl or two to play with.

2. Cait says

we were JUST talking about these dolls and the books in my Materials for Children’s class for Library school ha :) i LOVED Felicity and all her adventures! such a great read for kids esp to reenact the stories with the dolls :)

3. Khushboo says

Ahh what a blast from the past! I loved TY beanie babies when I was growing up – and spent way too much money on my collection!

4. Lauren says

I can’t begin to tell you how utterly OBSESSED my friends and I were with American Girl!!! I had Samantha and Kirsten and paid half for a Girl of Today…some of my best memories from childhood include those dolls :) I still request the catalog every so often haha

5. Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission says

I was a Barbie girl when I was younger, but my little cousin asked me to pick up some stuff for her at the American Girl store in New York and when I went there, I was mesmerized! It made me want to be a little kid again so I could play with all that amazing stuff. I don’t think they’re so focused on women in history anymore though 😀

6. Elizabeth says

I had Felicity and my sister had Molly and our best friend neighbor had Samantha. We would have tea parties and play with the dolls all day when we were in elementary school! my mom has them in a box in the attic waiting for her future grandchildren!

7. Rachel says

I had Samantha too and had the exact same problem.. I didn’t take her hair out until right before I started to lose interest in her! Up until that point, I thought it was too precious to touch haha.

My sister and I got American Girl Dolls for Easter one year. I had Felicity and she had Molly. I LOVED Felicity and thorugh she was so cool since she was very “historical” and came from the “colonial times”. We lived in a very historic part of Virginia (Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown) where colonial life used to be a prominent lifestyle, so I thought Felicity was the perfect doll.

9. Carrisa @ G-Free Runner says

I definitely owned an American Girl! Ok 3. My mom worked for Pleasant Company (the original company to own American Girl) growing up. My sister and I actually used to model for the catalogs in the “dress like my doll” outfits. I actually got to meet the author of the Chrissa (doll of the year) books in college as well. And now I’ve revealed just how much of a dork I am. Oh well :)

10. Katie @ Raisins&Apples says

I had Samantha, too! I wasn’t afraid of messing up her hair…and I decided she needed a haircut. My parents were so angry!

I was a Samantha girl too! I know what you mean about her hair…Samantha was a really special gift for me too, I was terrified to “mess her up” in any way, shape or form haha. She was the best. I had this thing called “Scenes and Settings” that were basically backdrops for playing. They were the best :-)

I get excited about storms, too…and I think we have a slight chance here today in the Midwest! Yes!

I had Samantha too. :) I loved her! Those dolls were such a great idea, b/c they helped to get girls who don’t love reading into the books–and the books were a great way to learn about history, as well as being entertaining. American Girls are a wonderful concept for girls!

No! I never had an American Girl doll but my parents probably knew better because I was the girl who cut the hair on her barbies. I wasn’t the easiest doll owner! ha!

14. chelsea says

I was OBSESSED with the american girl dolls! I wanted one for years when I was in elementary school…my mom finally got me one when I was in 3rd grade and i was so excited! all my friends had them and i was jealous, one of my friend had allll the accessories that you can get too, like a school desk, backpack, all sorts of outfits, etc. When I finally got one I got Josephina because I loved her long braided pigtail hair! One day I decided I wanted to play hair dresser and I cut all of josephinas hair! I actually ended up giving her a cute little bob! My mom was pissed that I cut such an expensive dolls hair, but I recently found her in the attic and her hair looks pretty good for being 8 when I cut it! LOL!

My sisters and I all had American girl dolls! We each had different ones so we wouldn’t fight. Haha. I had MOLLY and loved her! Played with her all the time!

I love eggs and a sweet side like waffles or pancakes—such a filling and satisfying breakfast!

16. Kat says

I absolutely loved the dolls. I had Molly and Samantha. Molly was so special to me because she wore glasses too (I was the first one in my class to have glasses, so was frequently made fun of…probably in part because I had round, owl-framed glasses!) That being said, my favorite toy was (and still is) my 15 year old Teddy Bear, aptly named Mr. Bear. He is as ratty as anything and I wouldn’t part with him in a million years.

I always wanted an American girl doll as a little girl, but I never got one. :( I did have some of the books though.

There’s an American girl store in Manhattan and I promised myself that when I’m going to have a daughter I’m going to bring her there to get her own American girl doll.

I sure did! I owned Kirsten (because I looked the most like her) Samantha and Josefina! I loved them, but I never played with them per se. I was like you – they’re way too pretty to take the chance of messing them up so I’d set them up verrrry carefully and make a scene. I also dressed up as Kirsten (hair and dress to match) for my first grade pictures. It’s something to see, lemme tell ya.

I was never much for dolls, or toys for that matter, because I was very active in the dance world. My mom couldn’t get my dance shoes off of me. Although I do recall having a Cabbage Patch doll. It just sat in the corner of my room though.

My younger sister and I were ALL about our American Girl dolls! She also had Samantha (although she did not have the qualms about removing that hair bow!) and I had my Molly doll. I *loved* WWII history as a younger kid (again, nerd alert), so Molly’s books were always my favorite. I loved that she had two braids, too–I wouldn’t take them out because she had the straight, sleek hair I always wished I could have as a curly girl. :)

21. Jenn says

This is the first time I’ve commented, and I just love your blog. I had to comment, because I LOVED my American Girl Dolls! I was a spoiled little girl, and I had Molly, Felicity, Samantha, Kirsten, Addy, and 2 American Girl of Today dolls. I loved Molly, Feclicity, and my girls of Today most, I think my grandmother just wanted me to have a complete set… They’re all sitting in my grandparents’ basement waiting on my future daughter. Thank goodness they still look the same, because I have a feeling I couldn’t bring myself to spend thousands of dollars on dolls and their acoutrements for my child! :)

I was obsessed with American Girl dolls as a child. I had Samantha, Kirsten, Molly, Addy and Felicity. My mom used to take me to the Strawberry Banke Museum in Portsmouth NH which used to do special American Girl Doll events based on their lives. I was a little American Girl Doll Crazy. I still have them all too with their clothes and in their original boxes (but gently played with)

Man, this post brings me back! I had Samantha too and used to love getting the catalog in the mail! It amazes me how much the company has grown in the last decade… there are so many new dolls!

Thanks for the walk down memory lane! I remember the Christmas that I got her…

24. Geneva says

I also loved American Girl, and have Samantha because she looked like me. I randomly received a catalog and thought about buying some of the Samantha collection that I didn’t have but sadly she has been discontinued :(

Awww… I had Samantha also.

I am not attached to old material possessions though and sold her on Ebay a couple of years ago. I got quite a bit of money from the sale too which was nice. Apparently, if they have white cloth body they are less valuable than the original with the tan cloth body.

I loved American Girl! I had Kristen because for some reason I thought I had o have to doll that looked the most like me. I also had some of the doll’s cookbooks, and I wish I knew where those were because some of the recipes were actually really good!

It seemed that American Dolls were all I owned. I got one every year for my birthday and for Christmas, meaning that I eventually had all of them. It really seems excessive now that I look back on it, but I really had a lot of fun with those dolls. My favorite was Molly because we looked the most alike and I loved her stories about WWII.

AH! I used to have an american girl doll.. Actually, I had about 8 of them! My first was Samantha, and I loved her… Then I got a hold of some scissors and butchered her hair. Whooopppss :(

29. Alex @ The Plum Foodie says

I had an Asian Bitty Baby who I named Cali. I LOVED her. In fact, I still have her and my daughter plays with her sometimes. I can’t wait to take my daughter to the American Girl store in NYC in a couple years…. Nostalgia at its best!

I loved American Girl Dolls! I had Kirsten and one of the look a like dolls. My sister, my 2 friends, and myself all had a club where were would get together and read the books to each other and play with the dolls.

And yes, I definitely still have them —> saving them for my one day daughter!

My parents never got me an American Girl doll. It was really tragic. Luckily my best friend had Felicity, Kirsten, Addy, Samantha, and Molly (I think that’s all of them when I was growing up), so I was able to “claim” one as my own. Obviously it was Samantha, my absolute favorite!

PS…love the post title. My favorite Tom Petty song! It brings back the best memories from my wedding reception!

32. Meghan says

I have a Felicity doll!! I’m having a baby girl in January and the doll is in her box in the baby’s closet. That reminds me that I need to find the rest of the doll clothes…..I loved American Girl and will be buying my little girl the books too.

OMG, American Girl Dolls! I had the Addy doll! In 3rd grade we would all bring our dolls to play together at recess and nobody wanted to play with Addy because she wasn’t the pretty one. I swear to God I went home and made my mom make her a new outfit and when it was ready talked up how Addy was the only one with a “designer” dress on and everyone wanted to play with her then. HAHA!! Good times. :)

Oh man, I loved these dolls! I got Molly when I was very young, then Kirsten when I was a bit older. I was very fortunate to have a Grandmother that spoiled me with accessories for the dolls. I actually had a closet in my house dedicated to Kirsten’s room! Clearly I was a little nuts over it…

35. Kim says

I missed out on the American Girl thing BUT I was a Cabbage Patch kind of gal!! My poor mom had to wrestle three out of those mobs for her three daughters!! I still have it and my daughter played with it when she was little.

36. Mischa says

I think I’m the first one to say I had Kit! I loved her blonde bob. Although I have to admit I picked her because she was the cutest one from the 20th century (I’ve always loved recent history).

37. Cheryl says

OMG I loved American Girl!! I had Samantha and Felicity! My friend and I actually had the paper dolls too and we would cut out the dresses, speak in British accents and pretend we were seamstresses… How i miss those days :)

Between my sister and I we had a ridiculous number of American Girl dolls and accessories, but Samantha was my first and always my favorite. I actually refused to wear anything but dresses for all of first grade because I knew that Victorian-era girls didn’t wear pants, and I wanted to be just like Samantha. I’m sure my mom loved that one.

When I was a kid I wanted an American Girl doll *so badly*. I had a Samantha cookbook and some of the other stuff, but I really just wanted the doll. I never got it. I may have never fully forgiven my parents for that oversight. :)

40. Hannah says

I got Samantha when I was ten, and paid for it myself :) she looked the most like me, right down to the thick bangs, which I still have! My soon-to-be 8 year old sister (Monday’s her birthday) just got hers a month ago, and she paid for it herself, too! So proud!! She saved for probably 2 years- and she even put a feather in her hair to match :)

41. Julie says

I had Felicity and Kiersten growing up and I loved on those dolls to death! I even decided to give Felicity a haircut one time…what was supposed to be “just a trim” turned out to be a full on bob…whoops. Needless to say, my mom wasn’t too happy. I thought I was justified in my defense that Felicity was just trying to get with “the times”-haha.

I had Molly. That is my mom’s name so obviously that was the one she got me for Christmas:) I loved trying out new hair dos on her. I also loved all of the cute outfits and shoes. Did you get the American Girl magazine too? It had awesome crafts and recipe ideas. I wish I kept some of the issues.

43. Molly says

I had Molly, because, well, she was named Molly. I thought it was SO cool that there was an American Girl doll with my name (even if she was the “dorky one with glasses”). :-)

Those eggs make me wish I had had time to cook breakfast this morning. Instead, I spent the morning making turkey three-bean chilli which will finish cooking in the Crock-Pot while I am at work. It’s chilly here today, so I had to start a fall meal! First chilli of the season!

And I had a Felicity doll. I loved her and always wanted her hair – the color more than the style.

45. Karoline says

I had Molly and Felicity, but Molly was always my favorite. I was also a WWII history buff, and I loved that she had big, round glasses like mine. I asked for everything Molly…the cookbook, the paper dolls, even the matching pajamas. She’s now dressed up in her green Christmas dress and perched in a prime spot in my parents’ house next to my mom’s favorite doll.

I was an American Girl Doll hoarder. I asked for one for every birthday and every Christmas for like 3 years. So I had quite a collection..
    I had Molly, Addy, Kirsten, Samantha.

Then I even made one that “looked like me” whenthat portion came out. I want a catalog to remenicse with!!

I had Kirsten and I promptly took her braids on as soon as I got her out of the box on Christmas. A few weeks later, her hair was so snarled that we had to send her to the American Girl Hospital. She came back to me with a new head (they have amazing surgeons there) and they put her in a hospital gown. It was an amazing reunion.

Awww! I heart American Girls! Iread the entire series and owned Kirsten :-) I have many of her outfits and even used to sew cute designer skirts for her. lol- what can I say!?!

Great memories! and yes- this is definitely crock pot weather finally!

I owned Samantha too. I remember loving her more than any of my other toys and taking such good care of her! American girl dolls are still REALLY popular actually, my best friend has a seven year old daughter and all she wanted for christmas last year was an American Girl doll! It was adorable so we took her to the American Girl Doll store at the mall near us and they served us an “American Girl Themed” dinner and gave both my friend’s daughter and her new doll a makeover! It was the most precious thing ever!! (I wished they had an american girl boutique when I was a kid!)

50. Katie says

I LOVED my American Girl doll! I had Samantha too.. I actually remember saving up money and using it to “buy” puzzle piece stickers from my parents that put together a picture of her. I also remember when my little sister decided to give her a “haircut” and I had to send her in to get a new head. That was great though because she came back with a cute little hospital gown and bracelet!

Now I really wish that we didn’t give her to my cousin. I’m going to be missing her all day!

51. laurel says

I loved twins…I had two sets of babydolls that were twins :) My sisters and I always got a doll for Christmas…so the selection process (which began in the toys r us catalog) was quite intense. After checking out the catalog my mom would bring us to toys r us and we had a piece of paper so we could write down what we wanted…then lists were given to my mom to pass along to Santa :)

52. alli says

I had 4, I was obviously the spoiled, youngest child! I also had matching outfits and my 4th grade school picture is of me and one of my dolls. My mom is now waiting for grandchildren to play with them :)

53. Traci says

i had samantha too! she was my first, followed by felicity. i remember saving my extremely large budget (ha, not so much) at 10 years old to buy new clothes for them. i would go through the entire catalog 10 times before deciding what to get – one of the best parts of the process. there was NOTHING like getting the box in the mail.

When I read the title of this post I had no idea that it’d go into such AWESOME territory. I LOVE American Girl stuff. My dad used to get mad that our dolls had more clothes than “many children of the world” (sad but true). My sis had Samantha and Felicity, I had Molly and Kirsten, and we shared Kit. IDK why I went with the two girls with the braids but I could never last more than a month without taking out those nice, neat braids. I always regretted it after. Their hair would get so gross! Haha

55. Courtney says

I loved my Samantha doll!! I remember when they first came out and there was only 5 in the collection, and each one seemed so special. I was like you, I kept mine completely perfect, never touching her hair or ruining her outfit. My younger sister on the other hand, had Kirsten, and cut her hair off!! I was horrified!

56. Shannon says

I was a Samantha owner too! I loved her. I still have her dressed and all her things packed away in the hopes that if I have a daughter I’ll get to pass Samantha on. My sister had Molly :-)

Ahh reading this post makes me feel a little nostalgic! I also owned Samantha, and I actually still have her. I hope to give her to my little girl someday. I was obsessed with American Girl growing up! Whenever we’d get a catalog in the mail, I’d look through it for hours, putting things on my wish list. Probably 90% of my birthday and Christmas gifts consisted of American Girl stuff. I also had the “bitty baby” and the “my twin” doll. So fun!

Yep, I saved up my allowance for months to buy a Felicity doll, and read every book for each of the “characters.” Great way to link history lessons to toys!

I had Samantha too! And funny enough … they arrive in the mail at our house once in awhile … and even though I am close to 30 years old … I love to sit on the couch and read through the magazine and inspect EVERY page … trying to remember how excited I would have been if I was 8 again :-) And the baby doll section in the last 4 pages … how fun! Now you can have a doll that looks JUST like YOU … too cool :-) Makes me want to be a kid again! And then I remember I would have to go through middle school and high school again … and then I scratch that wish :-p

60. Joely says

I had 2 favorites. My Cabbage Patch kids. I loved her, and I still her, ratty though she it, lol, I plan to give her to my baby girl when she’s old enough. But My absolute favorite was Barbie. I was always getting a new Barbie, and as a teen and adult had several collectors ones. I got rid of them several years ago, but still have a soft spot in my heart for her. I’ve even been known to walk down the Barbie aisle at target and look at what Barbie is like today. :)

61. Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn says

Ahahahah wait my bitty baby is still at home!!!! I never had one of the American Girls, but one of the babies. Sadie is sooo cuuuuteee

I had to comment on this post because I loved American Girl dolls. I totally had Felicity and I was obsessed! Although I think I was little rough with her because she definitely had some ratty hair at the end and some suspect dirt marks on her face. Oh the memories!

I loved Barbies and my little Ponies… but my American Girl Dolls were my absolute favorite…. I still have them somewhere… I had Felicity, Samantha, Josephina, and Kit! I was careful with mine but my bothers weren’t! They broke off poor Felicitiy’s leg… she had to go to the doll hospital!

64. Katie says

I had Addy and LOVED her! I would spend hours looking through the catalogs and always wanted the costumes they sold to dress like your doll. I don’t exactly remember if I knew where I would wear it, but in my head it seemed like a great idea!

I had a Samantha doll as well! I loved her so much, and I used to practice my french braiding skills on her lovely locks. My grandma and mom are excellent seamstresses (yup- just like the seamstresses in the Samantha books!) and they made us matching outfits… it was like having a mini me :) Ahhh nostalgia… is it bad that i want to climb up in the attic and play with Samantha tonight??

I had Kirsten! I LOVED the American Girl books. I am pretty sure I read all of them, well, all of the ones that were out when I was a kid. When did all of the other dolls come out? I only remember Felicity, Addy, Kirsten, Samantha, and Molly… seeing how many there are now makes me feel old!

Aw, I <3 American Girl dolls too! I had Samantha & a few others, but sadly I don't remember their names. I know my mom still has them boxed up in the basement though!

My cousin took her daughter to American Girl Place in NYC which would have been my dream as a kid! Apparently they have special "high chairs" so your dolls can eat with you (creepy?) & will even pierce the doll's ears there?!

68. Sandy says

My daughter’s had Kit and Molly..they now sit in my closet packed away..American Girls are wonderful..my daughter had Samantha’s bed, she liked it better than Molly’s :) I miss those day’s!!

second doll post I’ve seen on a blog in two days. I am jealous. I wasn’t allowed barbies or american girl dolls. My mom said barbies were marginalizing women and american girl dolls were marginalizing minorities. Fiddle faddle. They have asian and euro dolls now, If I could combine the two it’d be perfect for my girl. As it stands she can pick the one she wants. She’ll probably choose the african american doll.

Omg I LOVED American Girl! I had the one where you design it to look like you, plus every costume, accessory, and book possible! My grandma definitely spoiled me with American Girl. I have it all saved so one day I can share it with my daughters. (That I really hope I have.)

71. Leslie says

Yes! American Girl dolls back in the day, there were only like 5 of them. I remember my mom asking me which was my favorite and I had to go with Kirsten (growing up on a farm, the similarities were there) and received her on my birthday. I remember her little blue bed and some of the clothes but I didn’t take her out and “play with her” like I would my barbies, she was handled with some serious care!

72. Joanna says

I used to love American Girl dolls & all of the fun outfits and accessories that went with them (clearly I still get a little excited about them!) I had Samantha, Molly, & the baby. I still have them and all the crazy stuff I HAD to have to go with them packed away. I can’t believe how many more dolls they have now & was shocked when I found out they have an actual American Girl store too.

73. Catriona says

Yes!! I LOVED American Girl Dolls!! I had Felicity and Addy and loved looking through the magazine at all the pretty dresses they had for them. So fun! I also used to go to craft fairs with my mom when i was little and there was always a stand with all kinds of hand-made outfits for the dolls that i loved to look at :)

74. Stephanie says

Yeeep, I have one – Josefina. Though I think I was a couple of years out of the target age for them…I never actually played with mine, but my sister’s Molly doll had to be sent out to have her hair repaired due to my sister’s “styling” techniques lol.

75. Alisha says

I was a total Barbie lover! My friends and I had a complete homemade Barbie house set up in the basement. The were surprisingly elaborate haha

I never had an American Girl but I always wanted one and always looked thru the catalog. I thought all the accessories and extras you could get were AMAZING!

Awe those dolls seem so cute! No, I never had one but I was a big fan of Barbie’s and cabbage patch kids. I remember pleading to own this baby doll that I saw on t.v. for my birthday. She had her own “laundry machine” so you could clean her dirty clothes and diapers. Think it says something about how I despise doing laundry now?… not sure haha

I LOVED American Girl dolls!! I have Samantha, Felicity and Kirsten. They were from the original Pleasant Company too, aka: collectibles!

I took Kirsten’s braids out and pretty much ruined her hair. It’s not as shiny as it used to be. I’m hoping to pass them down if I have daughters. :-)

78. Colleenzo says

I work for American Girl! I actually edited that catalogue, so don’t tell me if you find any mistakes!

That said, I never had any growing up, and I told them so in my interview. They didn’t mind. 😉

79. Kait says

Proud owner of Felicity, Addy and later on, a bitty baby! Do you remember those? I loved loved loved those dolls! I read most of the girls’ books! To this day I still sing Molly’s version of “We Three Kings”. Do you remember it?

Also, I can remember the first time I set foot in an American Girl store. Its like the magazine, but 200,000,000,000 times better! I was probably seven and in total shock and awe. Oh to be young….

Lets be real, I’d probably be just as excited if I went there today…

I was a proud Kirsten and Samantha owner. I even had some customized outfits my aunt had made! That’s also how I learned to french braid was by practicing on one of the doll’s hair.

81. Bianca @A Healthy Gourmet Lifestyle says

I loved American Girl! I would pour over the catalog every time it came in the mail. Unfortunately, I never owned an American Girl doll, but I plan on getting my daughters dolls when I have daughters! My favorite was Josefina, with Molly being a close second.

I loved my American Girl dolls growing up! My grandmother thought they were adorable and bought them for me as Christmas or birthday gifts, along with some outfits and furniture, and even a sled! Haha okay, a bit much, but it’s all in my parent’s attic to be passed along one day! I had Samantha, Felicity and Josephina. Felicity was my favorite; I loved her story and appreciated a red-haired doll.

Aaaaww I was never much for dolls….I had one that I named Television Remote Control DeLille…..sad. Anyway, I had a bunch of stuffed animals that I really loved, including a lamb that my mom gave me 9 years ago that I still have!

84. Tracy @ Tracy's Treats says

Talk about a blast from the past! I loved the American Girl books as a kid, and I had the Samantha doll too! I loved changing her outfits!

I had Samantha too! And we had matching pajamas! And I had so many outfits for her and a little rocking chair. And my friends had Molly, Felicity, and Kirsten and we’d all play together…then they started making too many to keep track of!

I adored American Girl–the dolls, the books, the magazine…everything! Addy was always my favorite. I thought she was so pretty and I loved reading her story. Thanks for reminding me of those fun American Girl days! :)

87. Christelle says

I’ve never heard of American Girls before, maybe cause I’m Canadian? haha. But I loved playing with Polly-Pockets, my mom still has some stored at her house, but for as long as I can remember, I’ve had a blue doodle bear names Tootsie, I still have him here with me, my parents can’t remember when I got him, but he sits on my spare bed, I will never give him up!

88. eliza says

I had molly!!! I wanted her because she had light brown hair, and looked the most like me, (or so I thought) but I remember wishing I got Samantha because of her beautiful curls. I wish I took better care of her….But I loved American girl dolls and their books!

89. Brittany says

I LOVE AG Dolls! Love, love, love them. I got Kirsten for Christmas one year and it made my year. A couple of years later, AG launched the “lookalike” dolls and I insisted on getting the one that looked like me…which was actually identical to Kirsten. Two of the same doll with different clothes! Bah.

While it sounds like Samantha’s hair was probably fine after you took it out of its original ‘do, Kirsten’s was NOT. I was so bummed; it turned into a rat’s nest after taking it out of the braids! I even wrote a letter to AG about it… haha.

Last AG Doll anecdote: After learning how much I loved my Kirsten (and Kirsten clone) doll growing up, my husband began searching high and low for some sort of Kirsten memorabilia to surprise me with (lol, I know). As part of my birthday present that year, I opened an itty-bitty box to find none other than a mini-Kirsten! This brings my Kirsten/Kirsten clone count to: three.

I loved the American Girl dolls!!! for three Christmas-es straight I asked for a doll for Christmas.. first Kirsten bc I was blonde, then Samanda, then Felicity… I loved reading their historical fiction novels too!! I wish kids still had great toys like this :)

I had Felicity and Samantha…Felicity was my favorite doll (I adored that red hair!) but Samantha’s books were my favorite. I also got a bitty baby when I was in elementary school…also made by the American Girl company.

92. kyla says

I had Kirsten! She looked like me and plus she was Swedish, which I am as well so naturally she was my fav. In retrospect though, she had one of the saddest stories. Molly’s books were always the best, we would always laugh and laugh when we read hers.

I loved American Girl dolls when I was little! I remember I got my first one for my communion- Felicity. And then a year or so later, I got the look-like-me one. Which, ironically enough, ended up looking nothing like me. lol I totally understand your excitement with the maagzine. My friend and I spent about twenty minutes in the big American Girl store in Chicago. I think I was having as much fun as the little girls!

I had Samantha too! I wish I knew where that doll is now…probably in my parent’s attic (oops!). I think American Girl actually ‘retired’ Samantha to make room for new dolls. So sad!

95. jaci says

I had Samantha too! I loved her until I accidently brushed her hair with my brush and it immediately frizzed and then my dog ate her toes and fingers ’till they were totally mangled, gone and/or barely hanging by some chewed plastic skin. I begged my mom to send her to the ‘American Doll Hospital’ (seriously, there is one) but we never did, thus my Samantha was a little different from there on out.

96. Krystina (Organically Me) says

I ALWAYS wanted an American Girl doll! :( But they were too expensive. I read the books though – love!

i had kirsten and loved her. i kept her hair so neat because my friend messed her samantha’s hair up and it looked horrible. :) my sister had samantha and she also had one of the “look like me” dolls…or was it a baby doll? i forget.

this article came out earlier this year and my friends and i got into a big debate on facebook about american girl dolls and the divisions they (could) cause amongst girls who didn’t have them. pretty interesting stuff…. http://thehairpin.com/2011/05/how-your-american-girl-doll-shaped-the-rest-of-your-life

98. Grecia says

I never owned an American Girl doll, but I remember finding the books at my elementary school library and I was hooked. I remember reading and re-reading these books. Now I’m kind of sad I never had a doll to go with the books. I wonder if it’s too late for that 😉

Oh man! I would have been so PUMPED to accidentally get that in the mail. Honestly, I think I’m gonna see how I can go around getting a free American Girl catalog now, haha.
    I had Kirsten! LOVE!

My favorite toy when I was little was a 12″ long plastic Gumby doll. Most little girls had blankies or teddy bears they slept with.. but no, I had a not-so-soft plastic Gumby doll that I slept with every night.

I was also a HUGE legos fan. (Who else had the red pirate ship?!)

I had Molly and my sister had Samantha and Kirsten. We used to love flipping through the catalogs every time they came in the mail too! I remember how special it was to get an American Girl doll (or any of her accessories) for Christmas because they were deemed as so expensive and super special. Ah…memories. Thanks for sharing the flashback with us. :)

101. Kate says

I had Samantha too! I was so sad they no longer sell her because I wanted to get one for my daughter! Funny enough, they brought out Rebecca who I was instantly drawn to. We got her for my little girl and only later realized she looks just like Samantha and is even from the same time period. She’s probably the same doll they just renamed her and gave her a new story to add diversity!

My fav. doll though was my Baby Lemon Meringue of Strawberry Shortcake. She still sleeps on my end table (moved from the bed after I was married) and has been very loved and traveled with me throughout Europe when I was in college.

I forgot about American Girl dolls! I had Kirsten because she was supposed to be Swedish and my family is of Norwegian heritage, so I thought it was cool. I learned how to french braid hair because of that doll… I kind of ruined her nice hair style though. I eventually gave her to a younger cousin because we are the only girls on that side of the family, but now I kind of wish I had kept her in case I ever have a daughter.

This is hilarious. I heard a commercial on the radio this morning for the American Girl store in my area, and I was reminiscing about my own Samantha doll! I’m pretty sure I still have her packed away somewhere!

104. Laura says

Ohhh I LOVE American Girl dolls! I received Felicity as a Christmas present when I was a girl and to this day it’s my all-time favorite gift. My mom loved that I was into it because of the historical lessons in the books, and I loved having such a special doll to play with. If a catalog landed on my doorstep now I’m sure I’d be just as excited to check it out as when I was a girl. Love it!

105. Laurie says

You were smart about not touching Samantha’s hair. I had her as well, but unfortunately, I got one of those perm kits….and I used it on her. It completely ruined her hair, and I’m still very bitter about it! Thanks for bringing back the nostalgia today, though, I love it!

106. Heather says

I was an American Girl fanatic! I owned Kirsten in addition to the American Girl computer game (oh yes!) and all of the books.

My great aunt (rest in peace, Auntie Kay!) made a first communion outfit for Kirsten that matched mine, complete with shoes and a vale, that matched mine almost to the T.

107. Jennifer says

I loved my American Girl dollls!!!! Kirsten, Felicity, Addy, Josephina, and Bitty Baby (yeah, little obbessed–this doesn’t even include the ones that my sister had.)

I have to admit that as much as I would love to go to the American Girl Store in NYC (which is where I live), I suspect that it could be a really, really dangerous place.

Oh my gosh, I LOVED American Girl stuff when I was little. Every single year I would ask Santa for an American Girl that looked like me–light brown hair, brown eyes, white skin. Eventually I got her (though I don’t know how much Santa had to do with it 😉 ) and I was SO happy. My sister and I would play with our dolls all. the. time. The American Girl Place in Chicago (the ORIGINAL one…not the stupid replacement one in Water Tower…ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I honestly felt like part of my childhood had been taken away when I saw that) was my favorite place for such a long time. My mom took my sister and I to the cafe there once for the little meal they do and it was SO much fun. I still have the menu and remember some of the food they served, even though it was so long ago. Once I got “too old” for AG dolls I never had any idea what to put on my birthday or Christmas lists, because that was all I would ever ask for.

I’m guessing you saw all the new dolls they have now in the new magazine? Such a travesty. I don’t understand why they insist in retiring the classics and bringing in these new girls. Again, childhood=snatched away. What’s the deal, AG? Hahaha I kid…kind of 😛

109. Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled says

My favorite toys were Barbie and My Little Pony. I had so many of both and Barbie had a ton of clothes. My mom wouldn’t get me a Barbie house so I would construct them out of boxes. I loved her blue Corvette though. So cool!

I never had an American doll but I LOVED all of the books! What was the pioneer girl called? She was blonde and grew up in early America? She was my fave :)

I loved Rainbow Brite dolls when I was younger too! We used to play with their hair and clothes and hold them while watch the show. Awww!

111. Liz says

My favorite toys as a kid were art supplies and Cabbage Patch dolls. I was a child of the 80’s – my mom couldn’t get one when they first came out around ’83ish, so she had a woman make me a Cabbage Patch pillow (shaped like the doll) for Christmas & then got me one as soon as they were available. I’ve loved them ever since & still have several of mine. My favorites that I had were the set of astronaut ones that came in a ‘space shuttle’ box. I did love American Girls, too, though I was slightly too old for them when they came out. I really like Samantha & Molly. I did like the books more than the dolls, though.

P.S. – I love evening/nighttime rain storms! Those are the best nights to sleep :)

Wow, takes me back! I had Molly and my sister had Samantha. Unfortunately everything was so expensive that we only owned the clothes they came in and maybe one other thing. :(

113. Dolce says

I was a proud owner of a Samantha doll! I had sooooo many clothes for her, and she even had her own house! She also had her own set of cooking and baking utensils and a cute apron since I loved baking (and still do!). I even took her on my first airplane trip to chicago :) Oh, the memories.

114. Ashley says

I think that I ended up getting about 4 or 5 of them! My very first one was Josefina and I was SO excited! My best friend had her for about a year before I got mine, so once I got it, I was SO happy! I also had Samantha and felt the same way about her hair! All of my dolls are somewhere in my garage now.. Although I have a long way to go, I want to save them for if I ever have a daughter.

115. Kirsten says

Well my name is Kirsten and I’m Swedish – so it was only natural that I had the Swedish Kirsten doll. Like others mentioned, I also destroyed her within months and had to order a replacement head. She was awesome.

You know what wasn’t awesome? Once they started selling the actual child-sized versions of their outfits, my mom bought me all the Kirsten clothes and made me wear them places like church and school. I was teased to no end…who the eff wears pantaloons??? (i did.)

I remember American Girl dolls! I never ended up getting one but my sister did. I was so mad. She ended up getting Molly. I remember getting excited when the catalog came to the house. Oh those were the good old days :)

117. Ashley S. says

Oh my gosh, I am so glad you brought up American Girl dolls! I haven’t thought about them in forever, but they were such a big part of my childhood! my older sister had Samantha and I had Molly…she looks so geeky in that picture in your blog! haha, but I didn’t think that at all back then! It still pains me to say, but after a few years I was a bit bored with her hair, so I decided to play barbershop and chopped it off! It kept trying to make it even and it ended up sooo short! I’m not sure why my mom let me do that! What was I thinking?? haha, oh childhood!

I LOVED American girl dolls! I had Felicity and Addy. My mom has kept them in safe keeping at home! Some day I hope to show my future children!

Have you ever been to the American Girl store in Chicago? It is insane! I wish they had that in the 80s/90s!

119. Sarah says

I saved up my money for almost a full year doing chores and odd jobs to buy the Felicity American Girl Doll. I absolutely loved her. I used to read the books too!

I never had an American Girl doll (I think because they were a little on the pricey side if I remember correctly!), but I was a HUGE Barbie girl. My best friend and I would cut some of their hair to make them look different. I also totally had 3 or 4 of the New Kids on the Block dolls, which I promptly “set up” with my Barbies. No Ken dolls for me! Joey Mac all the way :)

121. Lisa says

I was part of the Cabbage Patch Kids phenom. Love being an ’80’s child. My cousins had American Girl dolls. Back when they only had roughly 5 or so dolls. (retired them :( what fools) My aunt bought the Samantha doll for my cousin Samantha and was also pregnant and told us she found the new baby’s name in the catalog. So “Molly” came into the family a few months later. She’s so a “Molly” too. And she just started her freshman year of college. Yikes! Makes you feel old sometimes.

Oh my gosh I was completely spoiled by my great-uncle and had a bunch of the dolls and accessories! Felicity was always my favorite because of her red hair (no bangs!) and time period. I kept them in perfect condition and always fixed my friend’s dolls when their hair was all messed up :)

I LOVED my AG dolls…though I wish I’d had your sense not to mess with their hair! I actually had all of them, haha. My grandparents would always ask what I wanted for Christmas, and all I ever said was American Girl dolls and their clothes. I remember my mom being furious at one point because she said they were spoiling me rotten, which in retrospect they totally were, but I’m glad I still have them to pass down to my own daughters. At least they’ll get lots of use!

I always wanted an American Girl doll so bad! I was so jealous of my cousin’s Molly doll. I always wanted Kirsten–the blonde pioneer one. I remember one Christmas I thought I was going to get one and my cousin and I measured her doll up to my wrapped box and they were the same size. I was so, so excited. Instead, I opened the box and it was a pink bathrobe. lol. I was not very happy about it! 😛 Instead of getting the doll, I had a bunch of the books!

125. Allison says

I had Kirsten. My nieces have her now. :) I had soo many beanie babies as a kid. It was something my brother and I could both play with. We probably had about 50!

126. Shelby says

This post brings back so many memories! Every Christmas and birthday list during my younger years was filled with American Girl things. I had Kirsten because she looked the most like me! I also had Lindsey, who I believe was the first “girl of the year” to come out (I convinced my parents to let me have her because she had a wiener dog, just like we did).

I remember going to the American Girl Place in Chicago was one of the best days of my life! They just opened one right next to where I live in Seattle…they should have opened it about 10 years sooner!

127. Mary says

When I was in elementary school we had a million dollar project, where we had to find a way to spend a million dollars. For my project, my friend and I designed a bed and breakfast where each of the different rooms had a different American Girl doll for the theme.

I loved getting thoses catalogs, too.

128. Nathan Miller says

Sorry. Never had a doll..ha. However. The title of this post may perhaps be just one of the greatest Rock Songs ever, Tom Petty is one of Americas greatest rock artists and he plays American Girl the last song of EVERY concert during his encores ….sorry, random…important for everyone to know…yes

My sister had Kirsten and I always wanted Samantha. My favorite was the “Samantha’s Surprise” book. I also loved my cabbage patch, Teddy Ruxpin, Lady Lovely Locks, Fantastic Roses an of course, my Barbies.

I actually can remember how much I wanted Samantha. This brings back memories.

Thanks for posting Julie!!

OMG AMERICAN GIRL DOLLS!!! I forgot about those little gems! I had the Molly doll. (of course because my name is molly) and I also had Addy! Loved it! What great memories!

131. Lily says

I had Felicity and a ton of her clothes and furniture. My sister had Molly. They are both at my parents house. Before American Girl was bought by Matel, the company was located not to far from my home town and my sister and would occasionally get asked to test products and activities for American Girl magazine. It was pretty awesome.

Had to throw my 2 cnts in here!

I had Molly McIntire and I adored her! She had brown hair and glasses (like me) and the “Molly” series was my favorite, though I read all of them, probably more than once!

My sister had Samantha, who had chestnut hair (like her) and our best friend growing up had Felicity.

I love that you can get dolls with YOUR features now! So cool!!! 😀

I adored my Samantha doll, I have her & all the accessories boxed up in the attic (along with my Babysitters Club books!).

I still remember all the stories & lessons from the series – I think that’s where I developed my love for history.

My best friend at the time had a look -a -like doll so we mixed modern & history – our dolls always had packed schedules with all the activities (accessories).

Each of my friends had a different doll so we rounded out the catalog pretty well.

I’m Canadian.. I’d honestly not even heard about American Girls until this post! (I then proceeded to google them and read ALL about them!)

When I was little I was in love with my “Puppy Surprise” toy that I got for Christmas. I only got three puppies but I brought the mom and her babies everywhere with me for like two years! :)

I didn’t, but I used to get the American Girl magazine. I was also part of an American Girl acting group – did you know they have plays for each of the characters?

My neice, who’s 11, has an American Girl doll and she is even a member of a local American Girl club! They get together and have American Girl activities, or they make things for their dolls – how cool is that? I got her the magazine for her birthday this year.

I never had a Samantha doll, but I so coveted one. I had a rather pretty faux-porcelain doll with hair you could style, and because I was a budding seamstress, I tried to make her some dresses kind of like Samantha’s. I shall have to do a blog post about that sometime soon – the results weren’t fantastic on the “copies” but once I started working on my own designs, I feel that I represented the 11-year-old craftsgirl pretty well. :)